• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Infection (1 Viewer)

ColinNorth

Does anyone know what the problem is with this Great Tit. The image was taken at Sevenoaks, Kent and there was another bird, not quite so badly infected? Is this something that occurs naturally, or should the controlling trust that operate the centre be doing something about it?

Infected Great Tit.jpg (33.4 KB)

Attachments

• Infected Great Tit.jpg
    Infected Great Tit.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 77
This has only been noticed in the last few years, and is quite uncommon. It was covered in Birdwatching magazine's letters pages a few months ago. It has only been reported in Cambs and Kent.

The cause isn't known for sure, but it is almost certainly a result of a bacterial infection of a tick or mosquito bite. It seems to affect Great Tits almost exclusively, for some reason, and usually first year birds. It is usually on the head around the eyes, and occasionally on the wings and tops of the legs. It is quite nasty - inside those growths is a core of yellow 'cheese'. The growths are fleshy and invasive, and are almost tumour-like.

It is probably not infectious as such to other birds (unless bitten), but these birds do not survive the winter, as they become disabled and get predated. There is nothing you need to or can do for them, but keep a record of how many birds, dates, location and any pics and send them to this chap who has been collating them: http://192.171.153.213/StaffWebPages/RichardKBroughton.html

If this occurs in a place where bird feeders are in use, then it would be a good idea to have a rigorous cleaning program in place of those feeders to limit transferring the infection. I am here assuming that the infection can be transferred in that way, which I don't know that it can, but better safe than sorry is my message.

Niels

If this occurs in a place where bird feeders are in use, then it would be a good idea to have a rigorous cleaning program in place of those feeders to limit transferring the infection. I am here assuming that the infection can be transferred in that way, which I don't know that it can, but better safe than sorry is my message.

Niels

It's not that kind of infection. It's topical, and seems to be transmitted by insects, so is nothing to do with feeders.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back