• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of New Guinea (1 Viewer)

It would seem the preliminary publication date for the field guide by Phil Gregory is the end of this year.

http://www.nhbs.com/title/204692/lynx-field-guide-to-the-birds-of-new-guinea

If all goes well - and Lynx seem better at these things than many publishers - it should be out this year. Phil's done a great job in producing a good condensed text despite the tight constraints demanded by the need for a reasonably sized portable field guide. I know as I had the joy of reading through it proof reading, making suggestions etc which was fun as I know very little about the species covered. However, that was one of the reasons Phil (an old school friend) asked me to do it as he wanted to avoid making assumptions about his readership's level of knowledge!

Is there any major difference between the Books Birds of New Guinea (paperback) and Birds of New Guinea: Distribution, Taxonomy, and Systematics (hardback) which will be published this March?

Is there any major difference between the Books Birds of New Guinea (paperback) and Birds of New Guinea: Distribution, Taxonomy, and Systematics (hardback) which will be published this March?

Totally different books - the former is a field guide, while the upcoming one is all about, well, distribution and taxonomy. It has few, if any?, illustrations. You can get a taste for what it's like by using the Look Inside feature on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Birds-New-Guinea-Distribution-Systematics/dp/069116424X/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1455215376&sr=1-2

If all goes well - and Lynx seem better at these things than many publishers - it should be out this year........
That was meant to be 2015. (post #62)

As it goes, the publication date is now no longer October 2016 but somewhere in 2017. NHBS says January; but Lynx gives no month, and they should know best.:-C

Last edited:
The last thing I heard was that all of the plates had been sorted and text had been written & edited (apart from the final edit of the Introduction). As the October date was the expected one until very recently, I'd guess it will appear in Jan/Feb 2017 unless delayed by other Lynx projects ...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back