• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of prey, Lebanon, April 24 2021 (1 Viewer)

NBD95

Lebanon
Hello everyone, hope you are having a nice weekend.
A group of 5 birds of prey were flying together yesterday and I managed to take a few pictures of them. Unfortunately due to lack of experience , I haven't been able to identify them. Could you please help me? I apologise for the quality of the pictures.

Thank you very much as always.

Attachments

• IMG_2984 (2).JPG
    IMG_2984 (2).JPG
    71 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3186 (2).JPG
    IMG_3186 (2).JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2982 (4).JPG
    IMG_2982 (4).JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3162 (3).JPG
    IMG_3162 (3).JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 58
Hello,
first and third picture is a Short-toed Eagle (the same bird, I think?), please note:
lack of dark carpal patch, regular banded tail, just dark greyish wing-tips (not contrasting black and with whitish tongues ) and quite uniform pale appearance.

Yes it is, especially during migration. They take advantage of thermal air bringing them up in greater hights without much energy needed.
When there is a restricted area where such a "thermal lift" is available, often BOP and others (storks, cranes) gather to gai height and then soaring to the next "thermal lift".
And during breeding season, I often see Common Buzzards, Red and Black Kites (and rarely Lesser Spotted Eagle, yeah!) taking advantage of a freshly plugged field together with Storks, Grey Herons, Hooded crows and others. And then the BOP are flying together over the area.

I hope thats understandable.

Thank you so much. Is it common for 2 different species to be flying together?
Not sure where you live in Lebanon NBD, but if you’re Beirut based try birding in the Metn hills or out beyond Aley, there are plenty of mixed groups of raptors, storks etc that thermal up together (getting a bit late now but the Honey Buzzards are still on their way I guess).

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back