• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird photography in the Amazon (1 Viewer)

Maroon Jay

Airborne
Canada
I am heading to the Amazon in another week (Peru). I assume it is going to be somewhat dark in the jungle. Especially at this time of year when it is mostly overcast. Looking for tips for bird photography under these conditions, please.

I am heading to the Amazon in another week (Peru). I assume it is going to be somewhat dark in the jungle. Especially at this time of year when it is mostly overcast. Looking for tips for bird photography under these conditions, please.
Depending where you go, big challenge is keeping moisture out. Ideally you'll have bags of silica gel... I had a lens ruined... Apart from that, be quick on the draw.

Depending where you go, big challenge is keeping moisture out. Ideally you'll have bags of silica gel... I had a lens ruined... Apart from that, be quick on the draw.
Thanks. Good tip. I will try to find some. Do you put the camera and lens in a bag with the silica when not using it?

Well the real advice is, somewhat annoyingly, a good flash. I don't use it during day, because I am not that much after good photos, just ID shorts, but I know many photographers who do. It's really quite dark ... But it's true that cameras are getting better and better.

Well the real advice is, somewhat annoyingly, a good flash. I don't use it during day, because I am not that much after good photos, just ID shorts, but I know many photographers who do. It's really quite dark ... But it's true that cameras are getting better and better.
Thank you. I will get a flash. Besides birds, I want to photograph frogs and butterflies. Most birds will probably be too far away to use a flash, I think?

Thank you. I will get a flash. Besides birds, I want to photograph frogs and butterflies. Most birds will probably be too far away to use a flash, I think?
The alternative to a flash is a camera where you are comfortable with a really high iso. My personal limit of 6400 was really not enough when I visited Panama in August.

If you go with a flash, there are fresnel lenses such as better beamer to extend the reach of the flash. As I have never used one I do not know which brand is worthwhile.
Niels

Good external flash is effective at some distance. To get even further, you can use a beamer such as MagMod or whatever is on the market.

I‘ve used Better Beamer which was one of the first flash extenders. It’s very finicky in attachment and alignment. I switched to Harbor something or other which was an improvement but then Magmod came on the scene and they have a range of devices. I most often use the Magbounce for short distances. MagBounce 2 . This will be great for frogs, reptiles etc. I also have the Magbeam which folds almost flat for transport which is for longer range. MagMod MagBeam Kit

A word of warning when using flash with fast frame rates. Flashes are not rated for the latest frames per second that newer cameras are capable of. I typically use 20 FPS and my flash is rated at 100-120 consecutive shots then you’re supposed to let it cool down. On two occasions now I’ve forgotten to switch to single shot and cooked it needing a $175 repair. 🙄

Edit. I remembered I did this post last year.

Flash Birds

Last edited:
The alternative to a flash is a camera where you are comfortable with a really high iso. My personal limit of 6400 was really not enough when I visited Panama in August.

If you go with a flash, there are fresnel lenses such as better beamer to extend the reach of the flash. As I have never used one I do not know which brand is worthwhile.
Niels
I agree, don't like to use high ISO, but it might be necessary.

I have the magbeam kit. It's necessary to align it quite precisely, but once done, it holds and installation takes three seconds, it's quite nice. But it was difficult to get outside of the US back in 2019.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back