• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ringing - please help me get involved (1 Viewer)

I'm going to jump in here and present a trainer's perspective:
I am a trainer and I'm not actively looking for trainees. I don't need too as this year alone I've had seven training requests. None have been taken on. Why? I already have three trainees and do not have the capacity to take on more.

My decision is not about maintaining a clique. And its not because I'm not '...looking to help others'. Its about time or more importantly the lack of it.

Like the vast majority of BTO trainers I am a volunteer, I have a full time job and other draws on my time such as a partner; she is very understanding but does like me to spend time with her. I therefore do not do as much ringing as I would like. I work in partnership with another trainer who has more commitment in the form of a wife and toddler.

Therefore I take on as many trainees, as will all trainers, as my activity allows. I do this to ensure people are trained in a reasonable time. It takes at least two years to train (in the UK at least) for a "full" C-permit. If I took on more trainees, it would take even more time. Would you be prepared to take 5 to 10 years to train because your trainer keeps taking on trainees? Because if I was to take on everyone, every year, that asks me to train them that would be the time frames involved. So where do I draw the line? You? The next person? The person after that? No, I stick to three as that is as many as I can teach and pass on my skill too in a reasonable span of time without compromising the standard of tuition. I work with each of those as intensely as time allows, get them on to permits as quickly as their development allows and take on a new trainee when one "graduates".

If people happen to contacted me when I don't have a space I estimate when the next will come available and tell them to contact me then. Or offer for them to tag along on a few sessions. Most don't come back to me on the former and a surprising number bail on the latter when I mention a meeting time of 5am.

It also takes time to manage and run sites and training someone comes with paperwork too. Permit renewal is coming up soon which will mean a training review with each of my trainees which will involve meeting each individually to go over their training over the last year and plan for the year head. This is on top on ringing sessions and everything else I need to do.

The issue, at least in the UK, is not that trainers are unwilling to take on trainees or to help others. No the issue is that demand out strips supply - there are far far far more people wanting to train to ring birds than there are trainers. Plain and simple. I would dearly like to be able to train more people but I just don't have the time and therefore capacity to do so, and I am not willing to compromise on standards or the experience.

Always get to get some perspective on a contentious issue.

Seems you fellas have a 'catch 22' situation. That fair?

I'm in the same position as Rich and am regularly contacted by people keen to train. When I email out about ringing sessions it goes out to 19 people, but I only have perhaps three or four regular trainees turning up. Others come once every couple of months or have other commitments, but very few are regular, which is what's needed to progress in your training.

I pretty much ring on my own, without the luxury of a big ringing group, but in Cornwall there aren't many ringers anyway. I ring as often as I can, but again have work, family, birdwatching society and search and rescue commitments...

So it's not as if trainers are avoiding new trainees, but trying to find those able to commit to long-term training isn't easy.

PS. I'm still flagged as 'available' on the BTO system...

I fully understand your comments Mark, i volunteer for the BTO on the Nest Record Scheme and for the RSPB on my local reserve and like yourself have family commitments and cannot do has much as I would like to. What I was peeved off for was when I asked my local ringing group to even join there Facebook group was told no has they are very selective and when asked if I could have a taster day, has told by the BTO to do this, he then told me I was wrong and the BTO should ask him directly if I could become involved and then blocked me for some unknown reason. So was not very helpful at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back