• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird song Dodoma, Tanzania (1 Viewer)

HinzundKunz

Tanzania
I heard this bird song for about five minutes this morning.
I couldn't find the song in Merlin. The most similar seems to be gray flycatcher, but this one's still different.
Anybody who would know more?

Well, I'm not really sure. But as I started hearing it a few days ago and it still hasn't stopped, I might get a chance to see the bird itself. If I get to see it, I'll report back here.

No, we have striped kingfisher and they sound very different. I was wondering whether it could be a nightjar (like the fiery-necked nightjar). But I heard the song yesterday at about 17:00, so I'm not sure...

And striped kingfisher are very funny to watch too; they look like Pentecostals in a worship service. Every time they sing, their wings go up... ;-)

Striped Kingfisher sounds very close.
I looked at the link you included, and the first two indeed do sound very similar. But the others don't, and as I said, we have striped kingfisher here, and they sound more like on ebird:
So either it's another bird (which would mean that the songs on xento-canto have been attributed to them wrongly), or it's a new song that I haven't heard before. That is more likely, but I have lived on this farm for six years now and I have never heard them sing like this before.

I would have listened (in fact did listen) to the OP's recording and thought 'Well, it sounds a bit like a striped kingfisher but it isn't one' - but the Xeno recordings indicate I was wrong. I suspect that the 'usual' striped kingfisher calls I'm used to - continuous, rising and falling - are actually a pair duetting, and the OP's and first few Xeno recordings are single birds.

Well, I suspect this one is more of a "I'm looking for a mate" song, whereas the other is either a duett, or one calling for his existing mate who is somewhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back