• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding at Loch of Kinnordy (3 Viewers)

an interesting day at the loch today.
yellow wagtail this morning, wheatear, pinkfeet geese and a couple of whoopers.

went back around lunchtime and saw a female scaup among the tufties.

late afternoon , popped in on my way home and saw 2 yellow wagtails....one of which was different to what i'd seen previously. After getting the scope on it , it turns out to be a blue-headed wagtail.

finally went back at 8pm to the loch where, with some friends , we saw a yellow wagtail, blue-headed wagtail, white wagtail and a pied wagtail all on the same bit of bogbean.

am sure that there have been 3 different yellow wagtails this week.

Lots to see today. The marsh harriers were seen for most of the day, at one point we were watching 2 different females!! The female scaup was to the eft of the gallery hide in amongst a group of tufted ducks while we spotted a long tailed duck in amongst more tufted ducks at the east end of the loch. It wasn't even 8 o'clock by then!! A skiene of 100+ pink feet arrived on the loch and they flew backwards and forwards between the loch and feeding, all day. 2 Whooper swans are still around at the back of the reserve and we are wondering if they might stay and breed. Fingers crossed for that. I went for a walk round to the lilly pond and beyond and found lots of willow warblers, blackcaps, yellowhammers and whitethroat. On the way back there were goldfinches, meadow pipits, skylark, treecreeper, chaffinches, great tits, blue tits, pheasants, wood pigeons, song thrush and long tailed tits.
Along at the swamp hide there were gadwall, shoveler, coot, lapwing, curlew, reed bunting, sedge warbler, great spotted woodpecker, teal, oystercatcher, pied wagtail, white wagtail.
Other birds seen today were Osprey, buzzard, moorhen, little grebe, black headed gulls, common gulls, wren, robin, blackbird, wigeon, goo sander, greylags, jackdaw, crow, rook, heron, redshank, sparrowhawk, goldcrest.

Photos to come later.

Darell

Some photos from todays visit to kinnordy.

Marsh Harrier
Scaup with tufties
Garganey flying
Meadow Pipit
Sedge Warbler

Darell

Attachments

• DSC_8732.JPG
    DSC_8732.JPG
    492.8 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC_8748.JPG
    DSC_8748.JPG
    354.8 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_8885.JPG
    DSC_8885.JPG
    294.4 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_9096.JPG
    DSC_9096.JPG
    327 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_9028.JPG
    DSC_9028.JPG
    351.3 KB · Views: 72
Today i decided to head up the Angus Glens to see what i could find. I had to be back in Dundee by mid afternoon, so it would have to be a quick visit. I thought that seeing how i was passing by, it would be wrong to drive past kinnordy without popping in to see if the yellow wagtails had appeared.

I headed for the gallery hide and the hide was quite full already with people coming into see whatever. The harriers were both visible as they took it in turns to collect nesting materials and then the male headed off to do some hunting. The long tailed duck was still present along at the east end along with tufted duck, goldeneye and 2 pairs of shelduck In front of the gallery hide were shoveler, gadwall, mute swans, mallard, teal, little grebe, lapwing, oystercatchers, redshank, greylags, white wagtails, pied wagtails, sedge warblers, reed bunting, swallows, sandmartins, grey heron, black headed gulls, common gulls, coot, moorhen.
Other birds seen were crows, rooks, osprey, buzzard, wood pigeon, pheasant, meadow pipit, blue tit, great tit, treecreeper, goldcrest, willow warbler.
We were watching the swallows when someone spotted a wader on the bogbean, smaller than a redshank. It was a wood sandpiper. It stayed around for the entire time i was there so hopefully more people saw it.
The heron then arrived yet again and showed off his fishing skills, much to the enjoyment of everyone in the hide.
Before i knew it, it was half past one and time for home!! So much for a trip up the glens. That will have to wait for another day.
Sorry for the quality of photos for the sandpiper, but i know what it is lol!!

Darell

Attachments

• DSC_9188.JPG
    DSC_9188.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_9197.JPG
    DSC_9197.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_9235.jpg
    DSC_9235.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_9228.jpg
    DSC_9228.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 55
managed to detour on my way back to work today to see the Wood Sandpiper which appeared on the bogbean, lovely bird.
I called in again after work and saw the pair of Garganey briefly before they did their disappearing act.
Later saw a Whimbrel among the Pinkfeet opposite the loch in a newly sown barley field....a great bird to get here.

two wood sandpipers on the bogbean out in front of the gullery hide this morning, also present was a common sandpiper.
still quite a few wheatears on the ploughed field next to the loch too.

male marsh harrier/garganey(pair) and diving osprey all on show in front of the busy gullery hide today,the harrier flew over the loch and headed for the reeds beside the east hide,the garganeys were hard to see at first but eventually came out onto the open water,the osprey circled for ages before diving and catching a perch,it then flew west,there were 4 male gadwalls at the swamp end and 2 of them looked like young males,the swallows and sandmartins were buzzing about right in front of both swamp and gullery hides,there is a picture on flickr of both species perched on the reeds ,I have never seen them perched here,other birds on the water
coot/greylag/mutes/shellduck/mallard/teals/shovelar/
bh gulls and lapwings seen sitting on nests,3 redshanks and small group of oystercatchers on the bogbean,
in the trees
rooks/carrion crows/blue tit /treecreeper/chaffinch/robin/blackbirds/willow warblers there was also a small group of goldfinches on the wires beside the cottage

Attachments

• gadwall.JPG
    gadwall.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 65
  • garganey.JPG
    garganey.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 73
  • mharrier.JPG
    mharrier.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 94
  • osprey.JPG
    osprey.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_8069b.jpg
    IMG_8069b.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 68
It was really misty for most of the day today and didn't clear up until mid afternoon. It wasn't cold and didn't rain, so i suppose i can't complain too much.
I had hoped to get another glimpse of the garganey but that wasn't to be. Instead i had to make do with a Green Winged Teal.|=)|
In front of the gullery hide when i arrived were a pair of shelduck along with mallard, coot, moorhen, lapwing, oycs and shoveler. Over to the east end there were quite a few mute swans, a pair of tufties, pair of wigeon and more mallards. Both marsh harriers appeared and the female went down straight away and started eating whatever it was she had caught. The male flew off to do some hunting of his own. An osprey arrived, looked around for a bit before flying off else where. He came back a while later and flew to the post at the east end, where he stayed for nearly an hour before he decided it was time to take a wash before heading back to the nest.
I turned eastwards to notice that a small group of teal had arrived. I wondered what the chances were of there being a green winged amongst them, low and behold there was one!!! I went along to the end of the boardwalk to get a message to Gus and when i got back in the hide, a heron had got up and spooked the teal away. Sorry Gus!! It did come back a couple of hours later with a female teal, but again was spooked very easily by something and i didn't see it for the rest of the day.
We did get very good views of an otter around 10 o'clock, which won't go down well with the few black headed gulls that are trying to nest on the bog bean.
We also watched a crow fly past the gullery hide with an egg in its beak, closely followed by a lapwing!!
Other birds seen today were

swallows, swifts, sand martins,heron,gadwall, treecreeper, willow warbler, blackcap, reed bunting, sedge warbler, buzzard, blue tit, great tit, coal tit, blackbird, lesser black back, common gull, redshank, snipe, curlew, rook, woodpigeon, pheasant and greylags with a couple of pinkies in amongst them.

Photos are of the green winged teal with other teal and a pair of racing swans.

Darell

Attachments

• 20130519_49.JPG
    20130519_49.JPG
    358 KB · Views: 94
  • Racing Mute Swans.jpg
    Racing Mute Swans.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 55
I spent half an hour on the reserve mid-day today, in between heavy and slightly wintry showers. There was an obliging male Garden Warbler singing in the shrubs next to the car park (my first of the year) and an Osprey and the male Marsh Harrier put in a good display from the Gullery Hide. There were still a couple of lingering/summering Pinkfeet in among the Greylags visible from the Swamp hide.

Just back from a fantastic day at kinnordy. From arriving at 7.30 til leaving at 3, there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Long may it continue!!!
In front of the gallery hide it was mainly black headed gulls in larger numbers, and trying to nest!! Coot, moorhen, lapwing and oycs were also on the bogbean while mallard and shoveler were trying to sleep. Lots of mute swans over towards the east end and sedge warblers calling from the reed beds. Swifts were in the sky, while the swallows continued to go in and out from under the hide all day. Wonder how many broods they will have this year.
I took a walk along to the swamp hide and first bird on the way was a treecreeper followed by blackcap, chaffinch, whitethroat, sedge warbler, willow warbler, blue tit and robin. From the hide there was a single shelduck, a few mallards and greylag geese.Outside the door of the hide were willow warblers, blackbird and a great tit.
Along at the feeding station were coal tits, chaffinches, great tits, blue tits and high up a female blackcap made her presence known. It was a lovely warm walk around to the lilly pond. On the way i had an osprey at the plug area along with sparrowhawk and sedge warbler and then around the back of the reserve i had yellowhammer, reed bunting, willow warbler, more sedge warblers, whitethroat, siskin, chaffinch, goldfinch, buzzard, jay, great spotted woodpecker, wood pigeon, crows and pheasant.
On the way back i saw a pair of gadwall at the plug area.
On returning to the gallery hide a female marsh harrier appeared briefly and then went down into the reeds. A few seconds later another female appeared to the right and put up the gulls etc and i watched as she flew above the nest site, heading westwards and as she disappeared from sight, the resident female came up from the nest site just as the male appeared. I reckon he must be two timing!!!
I then headed up to the backwater reservoir for a while and came back to see good views of the harriers again and also ospreys. At the back of two, the pair of garganey appeared from nowhere and dabbled in front of the gallery hide for a good half hour before they went back onto the bogean and sleep.

A really good day with lots to see and a whole day of sunshine for once!!

Darell

Called in a bit later on Saturday afternoon. No sign of any harriers but an osprey circled repeatedly until it eventually caught a fair sized fish. The pair of garganey gave stunning views right in front of the gullery hide, and a pair of shoveler were almost as close.

Rob

Lovely sunny weather at kinnordy this morning with lots of the usual birds there, but on saturday, there was an appearance of a turnstone!! Guess what, it appeared again today and must have been hidden in the bogbean all this time. Ive never seen one at kinnordy before. Fiona, the new warden, mentioned it to people on saturday and they thought she had been seeing a redshank!! Well she wasn't!!!

Other birds seen while i was there were marsh harrier, buzzard, sparrowhawk, ospreys, mallard, shoveler, gadwall, tufties, coot, moorhen, heron, lapwing, oycs, curlew, reed bunting, sedge warblers, willow warblers, blackcap, blue tit, chaffinch, rook, crow, jackdaw, wood pigeon

One pair of mute swans now has 8 cygnets while another has a single cygnet. The Black headed gulls have been building nests, so fingers crossed they are successful this year, but i doubt it.

Darell

Oh my... isn't that a great bird to find there Darell; lovely little waders.

Bet it's not still there tomorrow!!

I have limited internet access at the moment (cooling fan packed up on laptop)

I seen the turnstone on the island in front of the gullery hide 2.30 pm Monday,first time I have seen /heard of turnstone at kinnordy,the bird is in summer plumage and is showing a lot of white around the head,a single Canada goose was swimming with the 31 greylags at the swamp hide ,seen the 8 cygnets (first this year) sedge warblers seen at both swamp and gullery hides,the swallows are flying below the gullery hide,the osprey with the missing tail feather hunted in front of the gullery hide for ages but never dived,half an hour later when I was in the east hide I noticed it on the perch devouring a pike,it looks like a good number of black headed gulls have began nesting (you can hear them all through the rerserve)maybe the late nesting will have fooled the otters and the gulls will get a break

Attachments

• turnstone.JPG
    turnstone.JPG
    247.9 KB · Views: 78
  • cgoose.JPG
    cgoose.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 70
  • osprey1.JPG
    osprey1.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 61
  • osprey2.JPG
    osprey2.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 66
  • coots.JPG
    coots.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 65
I was there this afternoon. The Turnstone is still in exactly the same place that is shown on Kawwauser's picture! Well it eventually showed itself. Osprey sitting on the post with the remains of lunch. The female Marsh Harrier gave some nice flight views.

Newbie for me there was a pair of Great Crested Grebe first seen this morning. I don't remember seeing them before.

A rare visitor in Mike, who appears to be in good spirits!;)

Well done Steve. Any spotflies?

The summer warden at Kinnordy photographed one from his bedroom window would you believe!!!!

Have never seen Great Crested Grebes on Kinnordy!! Glad you saw the turnstone and others.
Worth a trip in the evening to get the Garganey, which is usually just outside the gullery hide, if you can!!

Darell

Users who are viewing this thread

Back