• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Campground? Florida!! (1 Viewer)

wihakowi

This may be an odd request for information and input.

We are looking for a campground (RV park) where we can stay for the remainder of winter 2012 that is "immersed in" or very near good birding. We are a bit spoiled after many winters in Mexico and the Lower Rio Grande Valley of TX. There, we have had the luxury of being able to stay at comfortable parks (pool, spa, laundry,etc.) very close to world-class birding AND being among like-minded folks (birders!).

We realize that the LRGV has taken it upon itself to establish/protect good birding habitat and that makes it great for the winter birders here as part of the snowbird migration. We're looking for the same sort of thing in FL. Most of the places we have experienced in FL tended to be either very sedentary in nature (shopping tripos by day and canasta at night) or state or national parks where long-term stays are not possible.

So - RV space, Birds, Birders!

Does such a place exist?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

What a wonderful idea! I wish I knew of such a place myself. Though camping areas/birding often go hand in hand, I'm not familiar enough with RV camping to know the good spots. When I first read your thread title I thought of Bahia Honda in the Keys, but as a park that doesn't fit your long-term requirements, nor am I sure it takes RVs.

I'll be interested to know if/where any are recommended. Good luck!

Well there are LOTS of RV parks around South Florida - however finding one which would be frequented by birders is a little tough - most are just vacationers/retirees/winterers so there's no guarantee of finding like-minded birders at any of them!

I'm familiar with my own area, so I can't help too much afar - in Palm Beach County area, which does have excellent birding in numerous locations throughout the winter, Boynton Beach and Lantana would be the two most likely spots to find campgrounds/RV seasonal parking. Those two cities are chock full of RV sites.

The best one I can think of off-hand that might have a bit of a birding touch would be John Prince Park...it has RV parking, up to 5 months or so, has its own lakes and even a nature/birding trail, and is also very centrally located for accessing many other good birding spots within a 20 mile area: Wakodahatchee, Green Cay, Arthur Marshall, Okeeheelee, and Daggerwing to name a few...plus you're not too far from Loxahatchee, Everglades, Viera Wetlands, Wellington Preserve, Merritt Island, Key Biscayne, and others...all within about 1 1/2 hours drive or less.

Thanks for the great responses so far! We are pretty familiar with the quantity of parks in FL, particularly south. What we are looking for, I would say, is something a little quieter and subdued than parks which get a bit rowdy on the weekends. Not that I don't like families and airplanes - I guess we're spoiled.

We stayed at Savannas Recreation Area in Ft Pierce several years ago and it is more like what we are looking for. Would love more amenities and a long-term rate to be able to afford it!

Keep the suggestions coming!

All the best,
Steve

You might try Kissimmee Prairie - it doesn't get much press but it is really amazing. This is part of the Everglades restoration area and the largest prairie in the US. There are also other habitats there such as wetlands, hammocks, etc. The rare grasshopper sparrow is here. Not sure if they have RV but Ii'll check. It is in Okeechobee..

Okay--RVs up to 50 feet at Kilpatrick Hammock Campground. I'm biased here -- I am in love with this place :) That being said--- I have no idea how long they will let you stay. They are trying to garner interest in this place so maybe that will help your cause.

There is Del-Raton park in Delray Beach-- I doubt it's full of birders but you would be close to Wako/Green Cay/Loxahatchee ARM.

If you google Okeechobee RV parks there are several. There is nothing like stargazing at Kissimmee Prairie. it is soooo quiet. The RV park there is quite remote. ;)

Last edited:
Just came across Palms and Pines in Felda. Sounds cool. Says it's a certified wildlife habitat.

In any case they are on FB.

And a tour of the place is featured at The Big O Birding festival.

Last edited:
You might want to investigate the rental lots at "Venture Out" at Panama City Beach, Florida. This resort is gated and they have swimming pools, tennis courts, fishing dock, boat launch area, etc. It is adjacent to St Andrew State Park where there are birders and birds!
This is their website
http://www.ventureoutatpcb.com/
Best Wishes,
baycountybirder

I would second John Prince Park as a place to stay. I have stayed there for about a week at a time for the past 6 years and have never seen it be rowdy. It is definitely in the middle of a good birding area.

The other area I would look for a park in is the Ft Myers area which again has great birding. I can not help you for a long term park there as my favorite park in the area is a State Park and I only stay for a week.

If you do find a spot in south Florida be sure to check out Stormwater Treatment Area 5. You can only go there on specific dates through the local Audubon Club, http://www.tropicalaudubon.org/sta.html. I will be there April 21st.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back