• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Ethiopia (2 Viewers)

Hi All,

Im planning to go to Ethiopia in October for three weeks trekking birding and general wildlife watching. Im hoping to go to the Simien Mountains and Bale NP and possibly Awash NP as well if time permits. Any inside info would be much appreciated and also what bird guides to get hold of. I know there is a Birds of Ethiopia in the pipeline but i think it will be published after i go!

Cheers for the help,

Ewan

Ewan

Not too much to add as I visited the country on one of Naturetrek's £990 specials. I used the Van Perlo 'macro' East Africa book that was just about average and the Stevenson and Fanshawe Birds of East Africa - although not covering Ethiopia, many of the species are in it and it was of a high standard.

My trip report, if you're interested, can be found at http://www.freewebs.com/richbonser/ethiopiafebruary2003.htm

Cheers

Rich

Bale N.P. is amazing - I went in independently quite a while back and staggering how good, a good percentage of the country's endemics can be found there, plus of course Simien Wolf (or whatever they are calling these days).

Not at Bale, but in many other places in the country, the kids are a right pain - worst I have met anywhere in the world ...take rocks to lob at them! ;)

Jos Stratford said:
Bale N.P. is amazing - I went in independently quite a while back and staggering how good, a good percentage of the country's endemics can be found there, plus of course Simien Wolf (or whatever they are calling these days).

Not at Bale, but in many other places in the country, the kids are a right pain - worst I have met anywhere in the world ...take rocks to lob at them! ;)

Cheers Jos...cant wait to get there now. Is it worth going to the harenna forest in the Bale NP ? It seems and extra 3 days hike or so but would love to have the chance at seeing some proper forest! Also would you recommend just getting a bus from addis to goba the into the park or can you fly....id rather spend money on flights to save time for trekking!

Cheers

Ewan

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back