• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Nerja (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
I’m going to Nerja in Spain 2 weeks tomorrow and was wondering if there’s any good spots to visit.

Hi Euan. We stayed inland a little just outside of Frigilianna a few years ago. Beautiful area. Had Bee Eaters over the Villa along with Black Kites. Golden Orioles below the Villa and Woodchat Shrikes and Turtle Doves on the telephone wires.

Very much a family holiday so hopefully somebody can give you some more birding specific locations.

Enjoy.

I’m enjoying Nerja so far. The place I’m staying has birds around. Birds I’ve seen so far are
Black Redstart
Monk Parakeet (though hear them mostly on the tree but occasionally see them fly off )
Cormorant
Blackbird (they look slightly thinner here compared to back home)
Collared Dove

I’ve noticed whilst been on Nerja there are a lot of Collared Doves around. There are parakeets but they are not as visible as they are in Malaga. Apart from The Black Redstart not seen any other new birds but I’m still enjoying myself.

Stayed on Nerja for a week years ago. Recall Short-toed Eagle, Hoopoe, Blue Rock Thrush, Black Wheatear & Serin on the slopes behind the village. If I can find my notebook from the time I may be able to provide more details.

Arrived back from Nerja to a very cold Edinburgh yesterday so looks like my shorts are being packed away for the time being. It was a nice relaxing holiday and I did see some birds. Though not anything new for me on this holiday apart from the Black Redstart most birds I saw are ones we see back home. Here are the list of birds I saw.
Monk Parakeet
Collered Dove
Feral Pigeon
Black Redstart
Blackbird
Herring Gull
Cormorant

Only difference I kinda noticed the Blackbirds looked slightly thinner to the ones we get here and their call sounded a bit different (maybe their call was a Spanish accent 🤣) but seriously though it was kinda hard to explain sounded a bit different. But overall a great destination to go to.

Arrived back from Nerja to a very cold Edinburgh yesterday so looks like my shorts are being packed away for the time being. It was a nice relaxing holiday and I did see some birds. Though not anything new for me on this holiday apart from the Black Redstart most birds I saw are ones we see back home. Here are the list of birds I saw.
Monk Parakeet
Collered Dove
Feral Pigeon
Black Redstart
Blackbird
Herring Gull
Cormorant

Only difference I kinda noticed the Blackbirds looked slightly thinner to the ones we get here and their call sounded a bit different (maybe their call was a Spanish accent 🤣) but seriously though it was kinda hard to explain sounded a bit different. But overall a great destination to go to.
No Herring Gulls down there Euan, what you saw will have been Yellow- legged Gull
( hopefully another new species for you!).

Glad you had a nice time though Euan 👍 I do like Nerja and frigilania but haven't been there for a few years now...... I love Portugal for Birdwatching

Users who are viewing this thread

Back