• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Scotland (1 Viewer)

JimMorris

I,m off to Scotland for some bird watching in May and June, I would like to know where are the best places to visit for birds of prey and also woodland birds. Any suggestions.

Thank you. JimMorris

JimMorris said:
I,m off to Scotland for some bird watching in May and June, I would like to know where are the best places to visit for birds of prey and also woodland birds. Any suggestions.

Thank you. JimMorris

Hi Jim,

Scotlands quite a big place!!! Anywhere in particular you're visiting?

Cheers

ps - just noticed you live less than 10 minutes away from me!

Hi Jim

Scotland May or June - couldn't be better B :)

Strathspey would be good - see the Strathspey Bash report a brilliant weekend that. Should give you plenty of ideas, particularly on the Raptors.

I went to the West Coast in May last year and
my report here may whet your appetite for that area too. Lots of lovely woodlands over there.

Hope this helps to get you started on your plans

Happy New Year

D

As Dan pointed out, Scotland, despite what some English people may think, is actually quite big!

Strathspey would definitely be best for woodland birds: you have the conifer specialities plus also more 'standard' woodland birds such as wood warbler, redstart etc. The west coast or the islands is probably best for raptors: Mull or Skye probably your best bet.

Some of us will no doubt be able to give you more specific information once you've decided exactly where it is you plan on going.

Hi Jim,

When we met recently I mentioned the bookshop in Leek called 'Picturebook' just off the market Square. It has a huge selection of birding and ornithology books. There is a number of guides on where to watch birds in Scotland. If you can get yourself a copy it should help you plan your visit.

Check the RSPB website for a list of reserves etc.

I have done a lot of mountain walking in Scotland. Its a big place and there is a lot of remote wild country.

There is a good DVD called Birdwatching in Scotland put together by Paul Doherty that is well worth viewing. It covers the best of Scotlands winter and summer birdlife and visits the borders to Shetlands, via Speyside, the Outer hebrides, The Orkney's, Caerlaverock, the Firth of Forth and many more places. A lot of bird species across Scotland are covered and it is great to watch. There is a lot of other wildlife on the two DVD's as well.

Outside winter May was a favoured time for me when going up their for walking trips and was great for long daylight hours and usually settled/stable weather.

I once sailed for a week with friends around the Isle of Skye including a trip across the Minche to the Hebrides. Had blue sky for the whole week.

Hope you are well.

Cheers Dean

Hi Delia. Dan, Dean & Aythya Hybrid. Thanks for your replies, a great help.

DAN. I've got all the time in the world to spend in Scotland so I hope to go all over as I have the camper so no problem with B&B. I'll post you a PM perhaps we can get together for a days birding sometime

DELIA. Read your report it sounds a great place and your list was very impressive. I went to the west coast when I retired 2 years ago but after 8 days of solid rain I gave up and came home but then I was not into bird watching and photos.

A.H. Mull was one of my intended stops but I go wherever the birds are.

DEAN. I had forgotten about the bookshop. I will visit next week as I'm off down south back to the Isle of Sheppey tomorrow for a few days to see the family and a days birding at Elmley RSPB
Thanks again to all
Jim Morris

In case Mull is a ferry too far, White-tailed Eagle used to be easy from the coast road at Gruinard (watch the island from nearest layby but also look out for birds over the hills behind you). This area usually holds Great Northern and other divers and Black Guillemot as well.

The upper reaches of the Findhorn valley remain, to my mind, some of the best Golden Eagle watching in Scotland and Peregrine, White-tailed Eagle, Osprey, Goshawk and Hen Harrier are also possible. One May my wife and I even saw a white Gyr - some years earlier a white Buzzard and before that a white Kestrel, so beware! Ring Ouzels can be found on the sparsely wooded slopes, Dippers are on the river.

The Findhorn also has large numbers of Red Deer, there are Mountain Hares up the hill and Brown much lower down the valley, and Feral Goats add a touch of local colour. One of my best views of Stoat was on the Rabbit-infested short turf flats by the river.

John

Thank you John, as I shall have 6 weeks to spare I'll have plenty of time to take in the area you have pointed out, as well as Mull. It sounds just what I am looking for. Thanks again, and keep the information coming all you other BF members if you will. Greatly apprieciated

Hi Jim

I did quite an extensive tour of Scotland very recently - you may find this thread helpful if you're thinking of the North West Coast, Orkney, Mull and Islay as possible locations:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=70694

(am also getting round slowly to posting up more detailed experiences on the Birding Day Forum but I went in October so your interest with regard to particular species will be limited to residents )

Last edited:
loch garten of course for the ospreys. even if they dont nest you can nip to the local fish farm, take a seat on one of the benches, be patient and you can get very close views.

also good for red squirrel, otter (one swam straight past us, superb view) crested tits, capercaillie (go early morning)

Farnboro John said:
The upper reaches of the Findhorn valley remain, to my mind, some of the best Golden Eagle watching in Scotland and Peregrine, White-tailed Eagle, Osprey, Goshawk and Hen Harrier are also possible.
John

Hello John,

When you say upper reaches, how far up can you go. My wife and I have spent a couple of days in the Findhorn. We drove as far as the small car pull-in on the left of the road, which is as far as the public road goes, I think. Is the road past that point a public footpath and if so, how far can you get. It is a fantastic place but we haven't really seen a lot on our trips. We are going back in early Feb and fancy another try.

Kind regards, Richard.

Richard JSH said:
Hello John,

When you say upper reaches, how far up can you go. My wife and I have spent a couple of days in the Findhorn. We drove as far as the small car pull-in on the left of the road, which is as far as the public road goes, I think. Is the road past that point a public footpath and if so, how far can you get. It is a fantastic place but we haven't really seen a lot on our trips. We are going back in early Feb and fancy another try.

Kind regards, Richard.

You have freedom of access as far as you want to walk, it's only "private" for vehicles and takes you to a large lodge.
Though you have as much chance of seeing all the birds mentioned without walking past the car park, in fact your skyline view actually becomes more resticted past this point.

John

Went to Findhorn valley a couple of years ago an extremely atmospheric place i loved it. Saw Golden Eagle and Raven but the highlight was the best views ever of an Osprey hovering over the river and right over the car. Also saw loads of Deer at close range.
It is a beautifull place if you're in the area please go,you wont regret it.

If you make it to Mull I highly recommend a boat trip to the Treshnish islands - Puffins (amongst others) nest there in large numbers and are extremely tame. Seeing them land a few feet away with a beak-full of sandeels was fantastic. The trip there and back was great for pelagics too.

Thanks for all your replies and advice. I was told to get a book called BEST BIRD WATCHING SITES IN THE SCOTTISH HIGHLANDS by a chap called GORDON HAMLETT. Take my word, it is a must if you are going to the highlands. It has the lot, including excellent maps of every site and details of everything you need to know.
Jim Morris

I must put in a word for the borders - you have to go through them on the way up and they can be less busy than the Highlands in the Summer. Lots of very beautiful landscapes - the inland birding tends to need a bit of driving around with only a few birds in each locality but the Solway Firth and Wood of Cree are worth a visit if you're coming up the West - St Abbs Head, Dunbar, North Berwick (Bass Rock), Aberlady Bay, Musselburgh if you're coming up the East. And if you have any cause to cross over the country the A707 which runs past St Mary's Loch was recently (and well-deservedly IMHO) voted the most beautiful driving route in the UK. The Loch itself is notable only as an occasional fishing haunt for the Glentress Ospreys and a flock of Goosander but the Yarrow Valley which is more wooded has plenty of smaller birds including Pied Flycatchers, Siskins and Wood Warblers. The Grey Mare's Tail on this road is fairly easy for nesting Peregrines and very easy for Wheatear, Stonechat and Dipper. If you're planning on spending 6 weeks in Scotland don't miss out the Lowlands!

Helen

Last edited:
JimMorris said:
Thanks for all your replies and advice. I was told to get a book called BEST BIRD WATCHING SITES IN THE SCOTTISH HIGHLANDS by a chap called GORDON HAMLETT. Take my word, it is a must if you are going to the highlands. It has the lot, including excellent maps of every site and details of everything you need to know.
Jim Morris

Yes, but you were told by me and it is just possible that I was a teensy weensy bit biased!

Gordon Hamlett

gordon hamlett said:
Yes, but you were told by me and it is just possible that I was a teensy weensy bit biased!

Gordon Hamlett

All right then you two - I have no axe to grind so I will say it's a smashing book with excellent sites and good maps and information. We find it very useful and wouldn't go to Scotland without it!! Thanks Gordon.

Sandra
:clap:

Hi Jim,
Agree with all the locations mentioned, especially Findhorn which is a special place. Suggest you add Loch Ruthven to your list for the Slav Grebes.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back