• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Staffordshire (6 Viewers)

Ruddy Duck info from RSPB

Defra came to Blith. I don't think anyone at Blithfield were involved.

I have just 'searched' for Ruddy Duck on the RSPB website.Part of the info read:-

In 2003, the Government decided to proceed with an eradication programme as part of a package of measures to help safeguard the white-headed duck. A five-year eradication project managed by FERA began in 2005, which by March 2008 had reduced the UK’s population of ruddy ducks to 400-500 birds. It said last modified 6/8/2009.

So that should mean the cull is finished (2005/6/7/8/9).

There is a difference between "Eradication" and "Cull".

Cull: Meaning to pick out weak or surplus animals and kill them.
Eradicate: To remove all traces of, totally remove.

So if the project was to eradicate them it has failed, they are still here.

Ruddy Duck Eradication

There is a difference between "Eradication" and "Cull".

Cull: Meaning to pick out weak or surplus animals and kill them.
Eradicate: To remove all traces of, totally remove.

So if the project was to eradicate them it has failed, they are still here.

I'll remember that Chris.
As you say the eradication of the Ruddy Duck failed but the eradication of the issuers of this order(the Government) succeeded!

I think its time that the Ruddy Duck is left alone in the UK and for what its worth I think that the biggest crisis facing birders in the UK and Europe currently is the yearly slaughter of birds in Malta during migration. This issue needs to be addressed and resolved quickly with strong measures but so far the UK and Europe has failed to act effectively to bring about a halt to the slaughter.

Dean:t:

Happy Birding

Last edited:
I agree with you Dean, I saw a pair of Ruddy duck the other day on a local water body (wont say where) and they were great to watch.

Attachments

• _MG_3943.jpg
    _MG_3943.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 16
RSPB have never shot a ruddy duck they have just let defra shoot on there land along with all the other bodies of water where they get reported from people dont report ruddy duck to defra , defra search websites like this one and others ones looking for populations and pools where they havent been to cull .
the overall project of ruddy was always going to fail cause there is no way they were ever going to shoot every bird especially when they stop in breeding season and we have birds migrating from holland and other northern european countrys and any that are actual vagrants .
Not going to start on what animals are UK orignals cause there are alot that arent native grey partridge , brown hare to start .
ring necked parakeets are already on the shooting season license .
i wud like to say also i have 3 pairs of breeding ruddys ;)

Ruddy Duck

I would have personally left them alone to be honest . I am sure the money spent on culling the ruddy duck could have been spent on better thing's like helping to protect birds of prey what are going through a bad time at the moment. And if something isn't done soon perhaps some of these species could be extinct in our country not to far in the future. col

the money spent on culling the ruddy duck could have been spent on better thing's like helping to protect birds of prey

I wouldn't hold your breath! With a new Government I wouldn't be suprised if the budget of Natural England etc is cut yet again! Unless its climate change / green energy related I think money is going to be very hard to come by from central Government.

I wouldn't hold your breath! With a new Government I wouldn't be suprised if the budget of Natural England etc is cut yet again! Unless its climate change / green energy related I think money is going to be very hard to come by from central Government.

I totally agree with you scott look's like money's going be tight for a while but i think it as always been the same when the benefit of nature is concerned . That's why most of the wildlife organizations are charitable or rely on grant's. Perhaps one way they could make some cash is start dishing out bigger finds for the idiots who keep killing birds of prey and other wildlife instead of taking the Micky and giving them a slap on the wrist and a small find where the landowners will gladly pay. col

Makes me smile, when you go to Slimbridge/Martinmere they are quite happy to show you the "Ruddy" ducks swimming around in their N American pond.

Unless I'm mistaken it was from there that all the trouble started!!

Can't agree with the killing of Ruddy Ducks...i never report them from anywhere i bird just incase the get picked up by Defra...with all the problems effecting birds around the world there are much bigger priorites...the reason for shooting Ruddies was purely political and everybody knows it...:t:

That's my rant over i'm off to 'pop a cap' in a few Cats...only joking!! :eek!:

Coombes valley this morning

garden warbler 3 (2 by the buzzard bench 1 just down from the car park)
pied flycatchers 5 ( by the pond and the main bridge)
redstart 1 singing in clough meadow
sparrowhawk
willow warbler 18
chiffchaff 10
blackcap 2
plenty of the usual, including a robin feeding young in the car park

looks like a beautiful day, kind of wish I had stayed on site to photograph some butterflies.

Adam

Hawksmoor & Titters

I was up early for a mooch around the Moors but low mist saw me at Hawksmoor instead. Plenty of Tree Pipits, Redstarts and a Wood Warbler unfortuately didnt get a Pied Flycatcher. Tittersworth on the way back home had 3 Dunlin feeding on the rocky spit to the right off the causway also Common Sandpiper + Regulars

Hanchurch Woods

Morning walk produced 27 crossbills, 1 spotted fly, 1 cuckoo, 4 tree pipits.
Warbler territories: 72 Willow Warblers, 24 blackcaps, 21 chiffs, 20 whitethroats and 10 garden warblers. Also 2 Roe Deer and 1 Fallow Deer.

Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back