• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdrace? (7 Viewers)

Having done many Cheshire Day Lists over the past years I would expect 140 to be a more reasonable score. Thats what we achieved last year to win the Birdwatch 2009 Big Day title and we still remain undefeated British Champions:king: as this years competition for reasons only known to BW Mag was not run.:eek!:thanks for telling everybody:C
This years score was not as high as previous years mainly due to the lack of stuff to go for (probably due to the crap Spring we're havin) only 157 species in the County the previous day, 5% of which you'd be extremely jammy to see anyway.
Still a fine effort if I say so myself.
Good luck to the Sandbach Lads next week :t:

McShifty B :)

A team of The Apprentice, Yoyo, Mark Payne & me scored 134 a couple of years ago but missed a load of stuff by diverting for the IMF Whiskered tern rather than sticking to our game plan. We finished at 21.00 having a can of beer watching the B W Stilts at Marbury rather than travelling to the sout hof the county for Quail. I think McShifty & Zoot got 138 that year if I'm correct.

The trick is to have a plan and stick to it - and be able to follow directions!:t:

Having done many Cheshire Day Lists over the past years I would expect 140 to be a more reasonable score. Thats what we achieved last year to win the Birdwatch 2009 Big Day title and we still remain undefeated British Champions:king: as this years competition for reasons only known to BW Mag was not run.:eek!:thanks for telling everybody:C
This years score was not as high as previous years mainly due to the lack of stuff to go for (probably due to the crap Spring we're havin) only 157 species in the County the previous day, 5% of which you'd be extremely jammy to see anyway.

McShifty B :)

140 is a good score with the wind (and the birds) blowing in the right direction. 130 is respectable.

Hi folks
yes I would agree, 140+ is a good score these days.
I was a memeber of the team that did the 149 back on May 2nd 1993). As commented you need folks to have "pinned down" various species and we had watchers on the Wirral and at Frodsham and Sandbach helping us out. It was the year of the Black-winged Stilts at IMF, and we got Temmincks Stint, Goshawk, Great Northern and Black throated Diver, and Mank Shearwater as bonuses on the day, and still connected with lingering wintering birds like Purple sandpiper and Goldeneye and that outrageous Ring necked Parakeet at Poynton was still alive then ! back then we only had one confirmed site for Buzzard.

Fantastic fun but very tiring!

Cheers

Hugh

I knew someone had done the 149 but couldn't remember who was in the team.

If I wanted to take part in one how would I go about it?

Need to get a team together and start planning. Pick a date and painstakingly get all the species pinned down by the locals!! It takes weeks of planning!! But it sure is good fun!! :t:

A team of The Apprentice, Yoyo, Mark Payne & me scored 134 a couple of years ago but missed a load of stuff by diverting for the IMF Whiskered tern rather than sticking to our game plan. We finished at 21.00 having a can of beer watching the B W Stilts at Marbury rather than travelling to the sout hof the county for Quail. I think McShifty & Zoot got 138 that year if I'm correct.

The trick is to have a plan and stick to it - and be able to follow directions!:t:

Maybe we should have a mega day with loads of teams competing next year?

CB

Maybe we should have a mega day with loads of teams competing next year?

You arrange it, promote it and sort out a trophy or two, The Comberbach Casuals will certainly rise to the challenge...;)

ps. theres still 27 days of May 2010 left plenty of time to have a go at breaking the 150 barrier...:egghead:

McShifty

You arrange it, promote it and sort out a trophy or two, The Comberbach Casuals will certainly rise to the challenge...;)

ps. theres still 27 days of May 2010 left plenty of time to have a go at breaking the 150 barrier...:egghead:

McShifty

Your not planning to do one this year then? :-O

CB

Just done one you plonker havn't you been reading the thread...

132 on 1st May 2010 by The Comberbach Casuals:t:

ps its all gone quiet over in Alderley Edge what!

All CAWOS description species, were any ever submitted/accepted ;)...

Yes all species that required descriptions were submitted and accepted, the Ten minute stints were showing to a crowded hide at IMF, 8 folks plus our team of 4 had the divers, and the Goshawk was at the then known breeding site in the eastern hills being monitored by United Utilities folks.
regards
Hugh;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back