• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Northern Goa (1 Viewer)

Mike66

Hello...Is there anywhere on the site I can find shots of birds of Goa or any related information, looking to visit but need more info.

thanks...Mike

Mike66 said:
Hello...Is there anywhere on the site I can find shots of birds of Goa or any related information, looking to visit but need more info.

thanks...Mike

Hi Mike

We were there in February, based at Dona Paula which is in the northern third of Goa, I suppose. We've a trip report and some 'photos on our website, www.avengerpenguins.com (non-commercial). You'll also find plenty of other trip reports from much better/more commited birders than us on the usual sites.

Feel free to ask if there are any questions I might be able to answer.

Hello again...many thanks for your response Chris, your website makes interesing reading and your photos give me some idea of what to expect in the way of birds.
I will try to get the book you reccomend before we go.

once again many thanks and good luck...Mike

Mike66 said:
Hello again...many thanks for your response Chris, your website makes interesing reading and your photos give me some idea of what to expect in the way of birds.
I will try to get the book you reccomend before we go.

once again many thanks and good luck...Mike

Buy it through the Amazon link on our website and Julie gets a few bob to put towards the next lens upgrade or to pay the service providers annual fees.

Alternatively, how far are you from Shipley? I get up there every couple of months for business meetings and would gladly l;end it to you, if the cost of the mileage made sense. Bit too expensive to post, as it's quite heavy. B :)

I reckon you'll have a great time. You will find a few birds that would be exciting here to be quite common and of course lots of birds that you won't have come across before. Birding is easy and safe - but make sure you put the high spf cream on.

pandachris said:
Buy it through the Amazon link on our website and Julie gets a few bob to put towards the next lens upgrade or to pay the service providers annual fees.

Alternatively, how far are you from Shipley? I get up there every couple of months for business meetings and would gladly l;end it to you, if the cost of the mileage made sense. Bit too expensive to post, as it's quite heavy. B :)

I reckon you'll have a great time. You will find a few birds that would be exciting here to be quite common and of course lots of birds that you won't have come across before. Birding is easy and safe - but make sure you put the high spf cream on.

Sorry I haven't responded Chris, I have just seen your latest message.
I am not the best of photographers and I am still wondering if I will get enough decent pictures to justify 10 hour flight.
We may well go back to Gambia instead.
Thanks for your help...I liked your website.
...Mike

Northern Goa is well worth the flight. Went there this time last year and wish I were on this year's trip. Managed to get some god photos.

We stayed in Arpora, just north of Panaji. Our trip organiser hired a local guide, LLoyd Fernandes, who guides groups of all sizes. He was first class. His business name is 'Birds and Breakfast' - phone 0091 (0) 832 2276711.

My wife has been birding twice in The Gambia - the birdwatching is great and the photography is good.

Mike

Gambia vs. Goa - tricky. I've been to both, once. I liked them both. I would say that birding is a little easier in Gambia, but we managed over 200 species in both countries in a week.

If you like curry, then the food's probably better in Goa. There are less monkeys though, which is a major consideration for us. I think, on balance, that I preferred Goa and if somebody gave me the choice between a return trip there and a return to Gambia, I'd opt for Goa - however I'll bet that if I'd been to Goa twice it would be the other way round.

Why Goa over Gambia? Cinnamon Bittern, some rails and crakes, minivets and cuckoo shrikes, crested tree-swifts and ashy woodswallows. Why Gambia over Goa? Vultures, cranes, weavers, hornbills and babblers. If you're building a world list, then it's got to be Goa. If not and you like Gambia already, then it's more difficult.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back