• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pied Bushchat female in Chiang Rai, Thailand - 2 days ago (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and Bird Watchers!

I have ID the attached picture as an female Pied Bushchat based on the vent and tail. The remaining body looks like a Pied Female as well, but the lightning can be confusing.

Is this ID correct?

The second picture is a bird I spent some time with but I never got any good pictures and the only picture I could keep was with the head turned away.

The bird I can see in my book looking most likely is the female Blue-fronted Robin. Is it possible to ID the bird from this picture?

Kind Regards and Happy Birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 56.jpg
    56.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 6
  • 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 6
Dear Members and Bird Watchers!

I have ID the attached picture as an female Pied Bushchat based on the vent and tail. The remaining body looks like a Pied Female as well, but the lightning can be confusing.

Is this ID correct?

The second picture is a bird I spent some time with but I never got any good pictures and the only picture I could keep was with the head turned away.

The bird I can see in my book looking most likely is the female Blue-fronted Robin. Is it possible to ID the bird from this picture?

Kind Regards and Happy Birding
Aladdin
Both birds are female Pied Bushchats Aladdin which can look surprisingly warm on the underparts, e.g second individual, depending on lighting. Looking closer at the second individual, compared to fem/1st-w Blue-fronted Redstart, plumage tones are too dark, more specifically, head is distinctly grey-toned and lacks an obvious pale eyering, underparts are not warm orange enough and breast is obscurely streaked while undertail is uniformly dark. compare-ML292446331 - Blue-fronted Redstart - Macaulay Library

Grahame

Last edited:
Both birds are female Pied Bushchats Aladdin which can look surprisingly warm on the underparts, e.g second individual, depending on lighting. Looking closer at the second individual, compared to fem/1st-w Blue-fronted Robin, plumage tones are too dark, more specifically, head is distinctly grey-toned and lacks an obvious pale eyering, underparts are not warm orange enough and breast is obscurely streaked while undertail is uniformly dark. compare-ML292446331 - Blue-fronted Redstart - Macaulay Library

Grahame
Thank you very much!

Fun that you mentioned the Blue-fronted Robin. Attached picture is a bird I spotted at another spot later on in the afternoon. I ID the bird as a female Pied Bushchat, just because of the vent. But I changed the ID to female Blue-fronted Robin because of the breast, very dark with dark streaks and the slightly lighter coloured throat.

Also thinking that the vent is some kind of reflection as the Blue-fronted Robin do not have any white vent, at least as per my book.

Do you think I should change this back to female Pied Bushchat?

Thanks again
Aladdin

Attachments

• 98.jpg
    98.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 3
Thank you very much!

Fun that you mentioned the Blue-fronted Robin. Attached picture is a bird I spotted at another spot later on in the afternoon. I ID the bird as a female Pied Bushchat, just because of the vent. But I changed the ID to female Blue-fronted Robin because of the breast, very dark with dark streaks and the slightly lighter coloured throat.

Also thinking that the vent is some kind of reflection as the Blue-fronted Robin do not have any white vent, at least as per my book.

Do you think I should change this back to female Pied Bushchat?

Thanks again
Aladdin
My apologies Aladdin, still half asleep, misread your post for Blue-fronted Redstart!

A female Blue-fronted Robin it most certainly is not, a bird that is extremely rare (resident?) in Thailand with only a handful of sightings, none recent?. They only occur at high altitude (2,000m) favouring forested gullies and are very secretive. Plumage tones, structure and 'jizz' are all wrong and BTW, BFR does have white tips to the undertail coverts, sports a pale eyering, tail is strongly graduated, it typically adopts a more horizontal stance and legs are long.

Your last post also shows a female Pied Bushchat.

You should always try give a more precise location, preferably, with approximate altitude.

Grahame

Last edited:
My apologies Aladdin, still half asleep, misread your post for Blue-fronted Redstart!

A female Blue-fronted Robin it most certainly is not, a bird that is extremely rare (resident?) in Thailand with only a handful of sightings, none recent?. They only occur at high altitude (2,000m) favouring forested gullies and are very secretive. Plumage tones, structure and 'jizz' are all wrong and BTW, BFR does have white tips to the undertail coverts, sports a pale eyering, tail is strongly graduated, it typically adopts a more horizontal stance and legs are long.

Your last post also shows a female Pied Bushchat.

You should always try give a more precise location, preferably, with approximate altitude.

Grahame
Cheers!!

Very appreciated! The location is in Chiang Rai in northern Thailand. What I can find on the internet the average height above sea level is 580 meters.

I will change it to a pied bushchat.

There was many pied bushchats in the area, the males are easy enough. The females, and I was surprised to see how many shades they are coming in. One female was sitting with a stonechat and the colour was very light so first I thought it was two stonechats until I had a closer look

Thanks again!
Kind Regards
Aladdin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back