• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Malta: Adin's Thread. (3 Viewers)

Having a great time on the camp. This morning I filmed an illegal hunter and saw my first Subalpine Warbler. The other teams have seen many great birds and heard and witnessed illegal hunting activity. We've also met several very keen and knowledgeable Maltese birders :)

im staying at Gozo at the moment i will come next wednesday to Malta and maybe i join the camp then on Saturday off to the enchanted Island of Cominoo:)o:) for 4 days at the ringing station

as for birding in Gozo i go out everyday i ve seen some interesting bird and my yearlist is growing 111(which is a good number here in Malta) but my higlight being the resident kestrel pair which are in my local patch and this week i observed them making courtship displays o:D

One good upshot of all this was someone asked me today, randomly, if it was warm in Malta right now?

Well, I kind of answered, yes!

"Only some of my family are on holiday there at the moment."

"Which of the three main islands are they on?", i asked.

"Three???", he replied.

"Malta, Comino, or Gozo?", I replied. :t:

(Wow! I've learnt a lot already! ;))

Then, he said,

"Is it a good place for a holiday?"

"Yes!", I said.

Great news about the Kestrels, and you all keep safe out there! :t:

im staying at Gozo at the moment i will come next wednesday to Malta and maybe i join the camp then on Saturday off to the enchanted Island of Cominoo:)o:) for 4 days at the ringing station

as for birding in Gozo i go out everyday i ve seen some interesting bird and my yearlist is growing 111(which is a good number here in Malta) but my higlight being the resident kestrel pair which are in my local patch and this week i observed them making courtship displays o:D

Adin, I am going home on Saturday so won't see you this time. Hope you have a great time. Brilliant news about your breeding Kestrels. Let's hope they are left alone and successfully rear chicks. We've seen several Common Kestrels (one sadly with gunshot injuries) and one Lesser Kestrel. Wonderful views of male Monty's this morning, but lots of shots heard across the island.

From the short time I've spent here it is clear to me that Malta could be fantastic for birds, as good at migration time as places like Lesvos. It is very encouraging to meet people here who would like this to become a welcoming place for wild birds.

Adin, I am going home on Saturday so won't see you this time. Hope you have a great time. Brilliant news about your breeding Kestrels. Let's hope they are left alone and successfully rear chicks. We've seen several Common Kestrels (one sadly with gunshot injuries) and one Lesser Kestrel. Wonderful views of male Monty's this morning, but lots of shots heard across the island.

From the short time I've spent here it is clear to me that Malta could be fantastic for birds, as good at migration time as places like Lesvos. It is very encouraging to meet people here who would like this to become a welcoming place for wild birds.

I am Coming tomorrow first i will visit the reserve and check what is there then later i will contact your team leader (Andre) and i will join one of your teams..I could ask to join your team..What is your name? so i ask for you

as for migration you have chance for three harrier species: Marsh, Montagu`s and Pallid(which this year was a freqeunt sight mostly in March were i at least saw 7 of them) herons like little egret,Purple heron,Night Heron,Sqaucco Heron,Grey Heron...and much more species

I am sure u will see a variety of species and about Illegal hunting i can assure its changed alot before was much much worse but thanks to these camps its changing i would like to see more people joining these camps of conservation

about the breeding kestrels im confident they will remain safe ;) they have been here for a while now last year they reared 3 chicks one of them fell in a pond and it was lucky that i heard it splashing and i saved from drowning..Kestrel became my fave raptor since they started breeding and i go everyday to see them i will do everything to protect them:t:

Keep up the good work!

These protective camps sound brilliant!

Any more information? Maybe next year I might do the Spring "Run".

Maybe others here may consider it an option also?

Good luck with your Kestrels,

Regards!

I am Coming tomorrow first i will visit the reserve and check what is there then later i will contact your team leader (Andre) and i will join one of your teams..I could ask to join your team..What is your name? so i ask for you

as for migration you have chance for three harrier species: Marsh, Montagu`s and Pallid(which this year was a freqeunt sight mostly in March were i at least saw 7 of them) herons like little egret,Purple heron,Night Heron,Sqaucco Heron,Grey Heron...and much more species

I am sure u will see a variety of species and about Illegal hunting i can assure its changed alot before was much much worse but thanks to these camps its changing i would like to see more people joining these camps of conservation

about the breeding kestrels im confident they will remain safe ;) they have been here for a while now last year they reared 3 chicks one of them fell in a pond and it was lucky that i heard it splashing and i saved from drowning..Kestrel became my fave raptor since they started breeding and i go everyday to see them i will do everything to protect them:t:

Sorry, I didn't see this in time and didn't see you yesterday... I'm Marianne (there are two Mariannes here at the moment though, I'm Marianne T). I hope you had a good day out. We saw several Marsh Harriers today, two with gunshot damage. Also a Hobby, a Tawny Pipit and a few other species. And one of the sites we visited has been vandalised - see the BirdLife Malta homepage for details.

ETA - sorry, not the homepage, the Daily Updates page. http://www.birdlifemalta.org/hunting/sw10dailyupdates/

Last edited:
Keep up the good work!

These protective camps sound brilliant!

Any more information? Maybe next year I might do the Spring "Run".

Maybe others here may consider it an option also?

Good luck with your Kestrels,

Regards!

Phil, I'll be happy to send you a PM about my impressions of being on the camp - don't have time right now but when I'm home... and yes, UK and other European birders are all much needed to help here. Besides Brits we currently have some Dutch, Finnish, German and talian birders here alongside Maltese birders, and some of the camp volunteers are not birders at all, just bird-lovers and people who care about conservation. All ages, all abilities, all welcome!

Sorry, I didn't see this in time and didn't see you yesterday... I'm Marianne (there are two Mariannes here at the moment though, I'm Marianne T). I hope you had a good day out. We saw several Marsh Harriers today, two with gunshot damage. Also a Hobby, a Tawny Pipit and a few other species. And one of the sites we visited has been vandalised - see the BirdLife Malta homepage for details.

ETA - sorry, not the homepage, the Daily Updates page. http://www.birdlifemalta.org/hunting/sw10dailyupdates/

I did come to Malta but i ended up ringing in two of the reserves in morning and early afternoon and i must say a prefer that way (in peace and not confronting any rambo in the countryside:-O) we did ring a lifer to me an Eastern Bonelli`s Warbler from Ghadira and very few other birds, wasn`t that good for ringing today. As for other birds i ve seen my second ever record of a Great White Egret from the ferry in early morning in just less then a week. Other birds seen 4 Squacco Heron(3 at Ghadira and 1 at Simar), 1 Little Bittern (male at Simar) and 1 Little Egret (at Ghadira)

i ve seen also about six species of waders: Black Winged Stilt, Little Ringed Plovers (breeding), Wood Sandpipers, Green Sandpipers, Common Sandpipers and Little Stints Also before leaving a kestrel andBlack Kite Soaring over a wooded hill and a male Collared Flycathcer

On my way back to the ferry flock of 5 bee eaters and a collared dove together with mixed flock of hirundines and i arrived home exuasthed and still sick with flu!!

i must say a prefer that way (in peace and not confronting any rambo in the countryside:-O)

Is this the same person who saw hunters waiting for a Squacco and ran to chase them off, then called the police and waited till they arrived to give more details? :p

Keep up the good work!

PS - we need you at Spring Watch... when are you going to do some Gozo watches?

i must say a prefer that way (in peace and not confronting any rambo in the countryside:-O)

Is this the same person who saw hunters waiting for a Squacco and ran to chase them off, then called the police and waited till they arrived to give more details? :p

Keep up the good work!

PS - we need you at Spring Watch... when are you going to do some Gozo watches?

haha you got me their Jeff

I Can`t this week im off to Comino for the ringing project and then im off to A levels exams yay!!:-O

i think u are going to stay a bit longer in Malta because of the volcano ash which is covering england

I am packing up and in three hours time il be on my way to comino for five days ringing there...hopefully interesting species turnout and maybe a lifer (why not!) i made a whole week excited to go infact i am going a day earlier im supposed to go!

Cheers
Adin

i think u are going to stay a bit longer in Malta because of the volcano ash which is covering england

Yep! Flight is cancelled, don't know what is going to happen now. Air Malta is not answering the phone... Five days in Comino sounds pretty good to me though :t:

Phil, I'll be happy to send you a PM about my impressions of being on the camp - don't have time right now but when I'm home... and yes, UK and other European birders are all much needed to help here. Besides Brits we currently have some Dutch, Finnish, German and talian birders here alongside Maltese birders, and some of the camp volunteers are not birders at all, just bird-lovers and people who care about conservation. All ages, all abilities, all welcome!

Thanks!

My partner, also, would be interested in helping out by "being there..."

Hope it was a success? And that you get home safely!

I wish you all the very best!

And congratulations to Adin for the Eastern Bonelli's! :king:

Great thread! No, REALLY great! ;)

Regards to all.

phil

Thanks!

My partner, also, would be interested in helping out by "being there..."

Hope it was a success? And that you get home safely!

I wish you all the very best!

And congratulations to Adin for the Eastern Bonelli's! :king:

Great thread! No, REALLY great! ;)

Regards to all.

phil

Phil, you have a PM :)

Got home late Tuesday night. I have started to update my blog with some posts about Malta, complete with Mr aiki's photos - http://robandmazza.blogspot.com/

I REALLY want to apologise to Marianne, for not answering her PM to me.

My answer is to reproduce it here.

I would like to become involved. A difficult job. But very worthy!

Here is the PM report..from Marianne....

BirdLife Malta Springwatch camp

Hi Phil,

We got home from Malta late Tuesday night, leaving the remaining volunteers to keep fighting the good fight on the Springwatch camp. Here's the promised PM about what it's like :)

The routine is essentially the same each day. We make a very early start (out at 5.30 am, before dawn) and spend three hours in the field, then back to the hotel for breakfast. Most people take a break from 9 am-2.30 pm, including lunch and a debrief, then the afternoon/evening session runs from 2.30 to 7.30 pm.

The group is divided into teams of three or four, each with a team leader - someone with a bit more experience at the camps and/or a Maltese speaker. The teams are regularly mixed up, though they kept Mr aiki and I in the same team throughout. Each team needs at least one driver and at least one birder. At least one person on the team carries a camcorder at all times.

The people on the camp while we were there ranged in age from late teens to 50s or 60s. There were more women than men, and more non-birders/inexperienced birders than serious birders.

What happens? The team drives to a particular spot and from there either surveys the scene from a viewpoint for the duration, or walks (sometimes good distances). All sightings of migrant birds are noted, in particular of raptors, herons and other larger birds, and the camcorder person should attempt to film any low-flying raptor for as long as possible - to catch the moment it gets shot down if that should happen. The teams are also looking out for signs of illegal hunting and trapping activity - people carrying or using guns in the close season, hearing gunshots, seeing birds with gunshot injuries (depressingly common), the use of electronic Quail or Turtle Dove lures, etc. Everything dodgy should be caught on film if possible as well as noted on paper.

Sometimes, when a rare bird is found in the evening, there will be a night watch through til dawn, with two shifts by two teams. This happened during our week when a Glossy Ibis roosted at the salt pans near the hotel.

The hunters quickly wised up that Springwatch had begun, and almost everywhere we went we got 'death stares' and abuse shouted at us. They also vandalised our watchpoints, there were two incidents of stone-throwing, and two guys were knocked down and their camcorder stolen. Through intimidation like this they are trying to drive away the volunteers, but the Birdlife Malta response is to keep sending teams (perhaps larger teams) to areas where bad things have happened. My own experience was that the hunters we met were basically cowardly, preferring to shout at us from a speeding car than make any direct confrontation, but that wasn't always the case.

The autumn camp, Raptorwatch, is apparently more chaotic, as it takes place during the open season when several species are legal quarry, so the countryside is full of legitimately armed hunters and the trick is catching them going after protected species.

We didn't see many birds during our stay - a good thing, really, given the fate of so many of the birds that do stop on Malta. The countryside is really astonishingly impoverished for birdlife. Nice resident birds include Blue Rock Thrush, Zitting Cisticola, Spanish Sparrow, Sardinian Warbler, Yelkouan Shearwater... migrants seen on our trip (not all by us) included Collared Flycatcher, Subalpine Warbler, Red-rumped Swallow, Alpine and Pallid Swifts, Bee-eater, Golden Oriole, Pallid and Montagu's Harriers and Lesser Kestrel.

It would be a mistake to have high hopes for this trip as a birding holiday, it's really all about conservation. That can be disappointing too, as the police force is so slow to respond (if they respond at all) that they will usually fail to catch the guilty party. BUT! it is impossible to quantify crime prevention, as one of the wise men at the camp said, and there's no doubt that the presence of the BirdLife volunteers across the Maltese countryside has a deterrent effect. The hunters we actually spotted might not often have been caught but at least they stopped hunting for that day and perhaps thought twice about going out the next day.

If you go, I would advise you to bring any and all spare optics you have (some of the volunteers when we were there had no bins, others had only rubbish ones), also still cameras and video cameras if you have them. Take warm and comfy clothes - those early starts are chilly - and strong boots for the walking. Most of Malta is limestone pavement so the walking can be quite hard-going. And don't go when an Icelandic volcano is about to blow its top

I probably forgot some stuff! Feel free to ask anything about it :) I am writing blogs about it here - http://robandmazza.blogspot.com/ and am writing an article for Birdwatch - not sure when it will be out though.

Best wishes,

Marianne (aiki)

Hope you don't mind Marianne?

You did a GOOD JOB!!!!

So many cheap optics available in UK charity shops!

However crap they are? Better than nothing!

Adin?

Is there an address where BF users can send unwanted optics to?

We wait on your reply...

Hi Phil,

Stepping in for Adin here - you could always contact BirdLife Malta if you wanted to make any donations. As you can imagine donations are always welcome!

You can reach BLM on www.birdlifemalta.org or else [email protected]

I hope you consider coming out for either Raptor Camp (September & 1st week October) or Spring Watch (April). You can get some great sights, weather and circumstance permitting - my favorites are Pallid Harriers in spring and Lesser Spotted Eagles in autumn (both rare but seen annually) and it really is an incredible feeling when you see birds flying about in safety watched by hunters, knowing that if you were not there things could (would) have been different.

I'm sure Marianne would happily give you more details of her experience. I'm also happy to answer any questions (I'm BLM staff).

Best

This thread seems to have vanished from the forum! I will fix this problem by telling you about a very small birding expedition last week:

The location is kennedy grove on the northern coast of malta. It is a very small public park which is close to the salini saltpans, Unfortunatly the saltpans are private so you can't go birding in thm. So I went near them.

As soon as I arrived I immediately noticed the presence of house martins....THEY WERE EVERWHERE. I made my way down to a small inlet were I found at least 20 house martins and about 5 sand martins picking off insects from mid-air. Later on 2 swallows also showed up, one of them actually PLUNGED ITSELF INTO THE WATER. It was a great feeling to see all of these hirundines circling about you as if you weren't there. I took the opportunity and studied the plumage details of all 3 birds.

As I progressed through the park, I GOT THE FRIGHT OF MY LIFE after a western whip snake darted off from right beneath my feet. As I was recovering, I found a Cetti's warbler nest. It was actually the first time I got really good views of this shy, secretive bird. As I moved on a single swift, and a lone gull (most probably yellow legged) circling above the saltpans. Also interesting were 4 mallard hybrid type thingies.

So, no very special or rare birds, but a memorable day just the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back