• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Nanchang and Poyang Hu, Jiangxi Province (1 Viewer)

regarding Japanese Grosbeak, depsite carreful checking during couples of years in Yueyang it is also a species that I failed to find there, if I remember well there has been recently a sighting in Hu Ping Shan in NW Hunan, but I suspect they should be more numerous more easterly...

Spring passage underway

Thanks for your comments re Japanese Grosbeak, Wuyuan is well to the east of Nanchang, will keep an eye out.
Re Swinhoe’s snipe, first impressions count, I may well be over-confident, but I call common snipe usually without blinking, the Swinhoe’s was just obvious, instantly, just different, bigger, paler, huge eye, huge pale bulging super, rounded head shape not matching the steep forehead of pintail.
I am not saying they are easy or even 99pct splittable but certainly splittable in 70pct of good views and 99pct with flight call. I could well be proven wrong, bring them on!

Yesterday, Tues 7 April it rained all day until 4pm. I had an hour in cold and blustery conditions checking the embankment at QH, got Stejeneger’s stonechat, 2 little bunting and my first spring red-throated pipit (and a city-first for me)
Today I could not get out till the afternoon and spent two hours checking the southern end of QH, my new track through thick woodland produced Swinhoe’s minivet and two Tristram’s bunting.

Complete list for 7 and 8th April, Qianhu

Pheasant, 1 female
GH Lapwing, pair on territory, dive-bombed me today as a I skirted round their area
Common sand, 3 around the lake
Spotted dove, few
Oriental TD, few
Swinhoe’s minivet, one female in with a warbler flock, feeding under the canopy, never out in the open and giving brief views, a new bird for Nanchang city
LT Shrike, few
Jay, few
Eastern great tit, few singing
Barn swallow, peaked at 200+ on 7 Apr on lake, less today
Red-rumped swallow, the first of the spring today, 20+ with the barn over the lake
Collared finchbill, 2
Chinese bulbul, 50+
Pallas’s warbler, 8+ today, some singing
YB warbler, 15+
Two-barred warbler, 1 probable today
Eastern crowned warbler, 1 spanker today
Masked LT, several parties
WB LT few
Vinous-throated parrotbill, several small flocks today in the thicker brush
Japanese white-eye, 20+ today
Crested myna, 10+
BC starling, few pairs
RB starling, few
Blackbird, common
Dusky thrush, 1 seen on 7 Apr
Daurian redstart, 2 today
Stejeneger’s stonechat, 1 on 7 Apr
Grey wagtail, 2+ today
White wag, 12+ ocularis, 6+ leucopsis
OB pipit, getting common at least 30+ today
RT pipit, one adult sheltering on the embankment on 7 Apr, today I had at least one calling from a pipit flock
Chinese grosbeak, 20+ today
Tristram’s bunting, a presumed pair today, really nice birds.
Little bunting, at least two yesterday
BF bunting, 1 male today

I encourage you to get this paper "Identification of Swinhoe's and Pintail Snipe" Paul J. Leader and Geoff J. Carey, I don't know where it has been published. But the conclusion is that there is overlap of weight and many biometric measurment and no particular plumage difference between both sp...They also suggest that call may be distinctive but need further research...

I think most people consider that flight calls can probably be used to separate Pintail and Swinhoe's Snipe. The problem is confirming how these differ, whether there is variability in call and whether there is overlap between the species in call structure. To confirm that a particular call corresponds to a particular species, it is necessary to separately confirm the identity of the species by something other than call.

The problem discussed in the Leader & Carey paper (published in British Birds: http://img2.timg.co.il/forums/1/8d8db470-a207-4432-bc1f-aece7d5b1dd6.pdf) is that there are no consistent plumage features separating these two species (apart from tail structure). This means that a bird heard calling in the field cannot be certainly identified unless the diagnostic tail difference is noted (or the display, as I think was the case in Finland). No-one has yet confirmed that the differences reported in call actually match the species limits.

Sunny day's local birding

Thank you for pointing me at the swintail paper, very much food for thought, but I can’t but wonder why do Brazil et al overstate differences in light of this paper? Perhaps some adults at the end of the spectrum are reasonably easy? It would be nice to see a clear list of pointers which we could use on adults, it does seem that juveniles are just hopeless.

Yesterday I finally saw Pale thrush in Century park, Shanghai.

Today I spent 3 hours in the warm sunshine working Qianhu, in particular the thickest brush where Tristram’s bunting seemed quite common.

Highlights, Sat 11 April 2015, Qianhu

Pallas’s warbler, 2 seen, 5+ singing
YB warbler 10+ seen, many more singing
Eastern crowned warbler, 1
Tristram’s bunting 6+, a really nice bird
BF bunting 5+

A lovely spring day

Another fine and sunny spring day. I spent 3 hours working my recently-found patch of woodland at the southern end of Qianhu. I made a few sound recordings some of which were good enough for Xeno-Canto.

Highlights Sunday 12 April 2015, Qianhu

Grey-headed Lapwing 3
Alarm call whilst dive-bombing me http://www.xeno-canto.org/235325
Masked LT, common, one peculiar thing they do (I am starting to think LT are the dolphins of the bird world) is during the heat of the day they congregate in a thick bush and start making a complete racket. This goes on for several minutes during which time they remain still and hard to see, they seem to work themselves into a frenzy, a sort of shaman trance, all very odd.
http://www.xeno-canto.org/235312
Swinhoe’s Minivet, first seen nearly a week ago at this site. Today I had excellent close views of a pair moving around the area, could well be a breeding pair, keep you posted. Got some nice recordings of the male’s trilling call. Bird of the day, my best ever views.
http://www.xeno-canto.org/235317
http://www.xeno-canto.org/235315
Pallas’s warbler, 3 seen 5+ heard
YB warbler, 8+ seen, 10+ singing, I caught one bird lying sideways on the ground, still, clearly sunbathing.
Eastern crowned warbler, 1
Tristram’s bunting, 4+ flighty
BF bunting, 4+

Back to work this week, hope for more Spring migrants next weekend

Last edited:
Very good work. Another useful site that I didn't know about. This is a great example of how the opportunities that the hobby offers for amateurs to contribute some useful data to the field of knowledge.

A warm Spring day, birding at Qianhu

I had a few hours in the morning at my new local patch of Qianhu, best birds were singing Arctic warblers, a pair of GH Lapwing with 2 chicks and superb views of a hair-crested drongo. In the afternoon went over to Meiling in the hills beyond Wanli for a short hike with my son. As ever here the birding was very thin.

Complete list, Saturday 18 April 2015, Qianhu and Meiling.

Pheasant, 3+ at ML
Crested Goshawk, close views of a perched presumed female at QH: big, brown, lacking fluffy undertail, then flew around for some time.
GH Lapwing, the usual pair were giving me a hard time as I walked past their marsh, a quick scan found two chicks, about a week old, a great sight.
Pied kingfisher, 2+ at QH
(CT) Hair-crested drongo. 1 at QH, my first since one on Sulawesi more than 20 years ago, an absolute stunner of a bird, close views in perfect light. The hair-feathers were not obvious over the forehead but more so hanging down the nape. Black head and mantle contrasting with the iridescent turquoise wing feathers. Bird of the day.
Eastern great tit, few at QH
Barn swallow, few
Red-rumped swallow, 2 at ML
Black-throated bush-tit, a pair nest-building at QH, a small flock at ML
Plain prinia, 1 heard at QH
Yellow-bellied prinia, as mentioned in earlier posts, YB tends to sing about a month later than plain, at least 5 birds singing at QH today
Collared finchbill, 4+ at QH, 10+ at ML
Chinese bulbul, common
Brown-flanked bush-warbler, 2 singing at QH
Pallas’s leaf warbler, 1 seen at QH, another singing
YB warbler, 20+ at QH, mostly calling rather than singing
Arctic warbler, only 1 seen at QH though about 5 singing from cover, could not get a view but did make some nice recordings
http://www.xeno-canto.org/236442
http://www.xeno-canto.org/236443
Masked and WB LT, common as usual at QH
Vinous-throated parrotbill, widely scattered at QH, 6+ today
Crested Myna, few at QH and ML
BC Starling, few pairs at QH and ML
No thrushes bar a few blackbird
Oriental magpie-robin, 2 at QH
Stejneger’s stonechat, 3 males at the GH L apwing marsh at QH
Tree sparrow, 20+ at QH
White wag, 2 leucopsis at QH
OB Pipit, 10+ at QH
Oriental /Grey-capped greenfinch, flock of 14 at ML
Tristram’s bunting, 2 at QH
BF bunting, 3+ at QH

No sign of the Swinhoe’s minivet today so they were probably just passing through.
If it stays dry I will try to get out to Nanji tomorrow

Swinhoe's Robin singing not Arctic warbler

Sunday was a very wet day, finally got out for a damp hour at Qianhu late afternoon. Very few birds to see, a flock of YB warbler moving through but at least 3 of the singing birds I had previously called arctic warbler. I never saw the birds which should have been a warning flag for a putative phyllosc, but even though I had carefully checked out all the alternatives I still blundered:
These singing birds are Swinhoe's robin/Rufous tailed robin. My thanks to those experts who do know their songs for correcting me.

... No sign of the Swinhoe’s minivet today so they were probably just passing through. ...

Hi Michael, we had 1 Swinhoe's Minivet here in Shanghai last Thursday. Always a good bird to see. Glad to see you covering your interesting and under-birded Nanchang area.

Mystery recording of a presumed bush warbler

I have such a poor track record of calls that I approach this with trepidation.

I had a very good view today of a bird I have never seen before, a huge, obvious bush warbler, but it completely lacked any rufous tones on the head; extremely grey head and upper mantle, recalling a giant pale-legged warbler.

It did not call but later I recorded, about 10km away, what seems to be a bush warbler singing. I did not see the bird. I so want the recording to be Japanese and not Manchurian.

Please help dearest experts.

Thank you

Attachments

• 120204_002.MP3
    194.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 120204_003.MP3
    274 KB · Views: 31
Bush-warbler

Thank you Jonathan

You may be right but that would mean within two hours of the same day after nearly two years of failing to encounter this species pair I saw a Japanese and recorded a Manchurian. No way was the bird I saw earlier a canturians Manchurian.
Stumped now as I cannot tick on heard-only and need confidence that Japanese occurs here to call the first bird.

from the lattest news I think I'm correct to said that canturians has been purposed to be lumped with diphone (what you're calling Japanese I guess and that appears to be mainly resident except northern pop, but to me very little chance to get that inland), so very unlikely Japanese. So now all these are called Oriental Bush Warbler, except borealis that seems to be a distinct species, but difference between borealis and canturians are very subtle and hard to appreciate even on hand....
Canturians was fairly common in NE Hunan in good habitat for them...
Strong dimorphism in canturians with female being more colored on crowned than male and hugge size difference....that's probably the explanation of your more greyish bird...

Bush-warbler taxonomy

Thank you for all your advice. After thoroughly reading Kennerley and looking at sonograms it is now clear that both the bird singing and the large male I saw at Ji Island belong to the form canturians.
The taxonomic status of the larger Horornis bush-warblers is a complete minefield!
I use Brazil as my main field guide and he raises canturians to species status and calls it Korean bush-warbler. Kennerley puts canturians in with Machurian bush-warbler. However, IOC (but not BUBO on their IOC list) have moved canturians into Japanese Bush Warbler H. diphone, leaving Manchurian as monotypic with borealis. The new combined canturians+Japanese should perhaps be renamed Oriental bush-warbler.
So technically I have seen Japanese Bush warbler, but as I use BUBO’s IOC list I have to call it Manchurian as that is where they still put canturians. This means that those listers who have seen canturians and cantans will lose a species as in effect we have a lump here.

Questions.
Brazil says cantans occurs along the eastern China coast, is this reflected in recent records?
What is the situation at that cutting-edge of ornithology, HK? Do you get both borealis or cantans or canturians?
How do you split them?
What percentage are simply left as large Horornis sp?
Does anyone have an easy site for guaranteed borealis?

However, IOC (but not BUBO on their IOC list) have moved canturians into Japanese Bush Warbler H. diphone, leaving Manchurian as monotypic with borealis...but as I use BUBO’s IOC list I have to call it Manchurian as that is where they still put canturians. This means that those listers who have seen canturians and cantans will lose a species as in effect we have a lump here.

This will just be BUBO not having updated their list yet

Some pictures of Nanchang sites

1. The northern embankment to Qianhu, a good site for buntings and pipits

2. The river from the bridge to the golf course at Polygolf, a very reliable site for brown crake

3. Dredger park, the pools are good for summer Odonata

4. Ditto, looking south, the bushes can hold migrants

5. Wasteland south of Shengmi bridge, good for GH Lapwing

Attachments

• IMG_20150322_145911.jpg
    IMG_20150322_145911.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20150401_171222.jpg
    IMG_20150401_171222.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20150405_120658.jpg
    IMG_20150405_120658.jpg
    543.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20150405_120703.jpg
    IMG_20150405_120703.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20150405_124604.jpg
    IMG_20150405_124604.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 39
Birding around Nanchang, week to 26 April

I was able to make quick evening visits to Qianhu on Monday and Thursday evening, little new except for a peak count of 4 hair-crested drongo on Thursday.
On Saturday I got over to the bus station for the 8am 159 bus to Nanjishan. Unfortunately the bus never appeared, after a series of buses I managed to take the 137 bus to the end of the line, this is about one third of the way out to Nanji. I then had a difficult morning trying to get out further, eventually I got a black van, but baled out after the driver demanded way too much money. I found myself at the 24km marker (marked, I guess, back from Nanjishan), I walked past freshly planted, damp rice paddies which held large numbers of pacific golden plover, wood sandpiper and a few swintail snipe. After several hours walking I got as far as km20 and got a lift with day-trippers out to the look-out tower and then onto my target: Ji Island. In my view, Ji Island is the number one migrant hotspot in the whole of Jiangxi province. In spring it is not a proper island, like High Island in Texas it is merely the only decent habitat for miles. Peak spring time is second week of May so it is still early but I did see my first canturians bush warbler, a few Tristram’s bunting and an early brown flycatcher. On the drive past the JSW area, even at high speed, the unmistakeable sight and sound of displaying JSW were everywhere. I was luckier in getting a series of lifts back in the evening, a long tiring day in the field and got badly sunburnt.
On Sunday I had a few hours working the Qianhu area, not much new but the wooded area proved way more productive than the manicured parkland that I worked in winter.
Complete list for past week’s birding around Nanchang, QH = Qianhu, JI = Ji Island, NW = Nanji wetlands, km references are to the road out to NW, the bridge is around km12, the good wader pools the previous August are at km 13, the bunting track at km15.5, I walked km24 to km20 on Saturday 25 Apr

Common pheasant, few at QH and NW
Spotbill, 10+ at QH, 20+ at NW
No geese
Dabchick, common
GC grebe, few distant at NW
BC Night Heron, flock of 20 over QH
Chinese Pond Heron, common and widely scattered from km24-20
Little egret, few at NW
No raptors
Moorhen, few
No cranes
GH Lapwing: 6 birds together at QH, I suspect that after hatching families join up to form protected crèches.
Pacific Golden Plover, common though widely scattered, 150+ between km24 and 20, really nice in their summer plumage. Some really good close views.
LRP a few
Swintail snipe, 20+ from km24-20. I got the impression (possibly false; see earlier posts) that most birds were pin-tailed, of the few birds that called, all were Pin-tailed snipe. My hunch is that Swinhoe’s pass at the end of March/early April and Pin-tailed later on.
Spotted redshank, common along the road
Marsh sandpiper, 2 at km23
Wood sandpiper, 200+ along the road
Common sand, few at QH
No gulls
Whiskered tern, many distantly around JI
Oriental turtle dove, QH remains a reliable site
Spotted dove, common
Pied kingfisher, 4 at QH, few at JI
Common kingfisher, few at QH and NW
Brown shrike, 2 lucionensis at QH on 26 April were my first for the year
LT shrike, common
Black drongo, my first of the year at JI on 25 Apr
Hair-crested drongo, 4 at QH on 23 Apr
Eurasian jay, fairly common at QH
Eastern great tit, common at QH
Barn swallow, fairly common everywhere
Zitting cisticola, few, mostly heard, at NW
Yellow-bellied prinia, one of the commonest songs at QH and NW
Plain prinia, few heard at NW
Collared finchbill, few on QI and at QH
Chinese bulbul, common
Himalayan black bulbul, 6+ of the white-headed form on JI
Locustella pryeri (JSW), If you visit Nanji wetlands between mid March and early May, unless it is pouring with rain you are guaranteed to see and hear this species though whether you will get a good view of a bird on the deck is down to luck. My first impression was that they were everywhere, more so than last year.
(WT) Japanese bush warbler (Manchurian on BUBO IOC), A huge male canturians on Ji Island, another recorded (see earlier post) at km 13.
Pallas’s warbler, one or two singing at QH, past peak passage
Yellow-browed warbler; heard everywhere, passage peaks around now
Arctic warbler, 1 at QH
Radde’s warbler 1 singing and briefly seen at QH on 26 Apr
Eastern crowned warbler, 1 at NW, at the singing canturians site on 25 Apr
Masked LT common at QH
WB LT common at QH
VT Parrotbill, a few breeding at QH
Japanese white-eye 20+ on JI
Crested Myna, widespread
BC starling, pairs at most suitable sites
Silky starling, few
Blackbird, many around QH, no other thrushes
Swinhoe’s robin, 5 birds singing in one area of dense brush along the canal at km 22, at least 5 birds singing on JI, 3+ still singing at QH. Clearly a common bird on spring passage, though I never saw a single bird.
Oriental magpie-robin, not common but widespread, singing at JI and QH
Stejneger’s stonechat, 3 at QH, few at NW
Asian brown flycatcher, the first of the spring at JI, just one
Blue and white flycatcher, a female at km 23
Tree sparrow, few
White wagtail, a few leucopsis
Grey wagtail, 2 at QH
OB pipit, few along the road, not as common as a week ago
Chinese grosbeak, few at QH
Tristram’s bunting, 3 on JI
Black-faced bunting, 4 at NW

Photos
1. Paddies by the road at around km23, many pacific golden plover, wood sandpiper, spotted redshank and a few swintail snipe.
2. The top platform at the Nanji wetlands lookout tower
3. The view south from the lookout, note the new large carpark and Ji Island in the distance.
4. The photogenic pool and model pagoda on Ji Island
5. The bridge onto Ji Island, from the island side. A new, much taller bridge is under construction.

Attachments

• IMG_20150425_113316.jpg
    IMG_20150425_113316.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20150425_135523.jpg
    IMG_20150425_135523.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20150425_135505.jpg
    IMG_20150425_135505.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20150425_152012.jpg
    IMG_20150425_152012.jpg
    459 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20150425_152958.jpg
    IMG_20150425_152958.jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 33
My best ever find on a local patch

Yesterday evening, Tuesday 28 April, I took the bus down to Qianhu for a quick stroll round the wooded area. All very quiet, hardly a bird of note, I was walking through the thicker brushy woodland when a bird flew across and spent a full two minutes standing on a low branch: A first summer male Siberian blue robin! What a truly stunning bird. Horizontal posture, over-sized pale pink legs and feet and a constantly wagging tail. The swing of the tail wag was not as much as say OBP, about a 30 degree swing but consistent and quite fast, faster than other waggers. The wings were brownish and he was dull under the belly and lacked the black along the side boundary. After his good view he flicked away.
Highlights, Qianhu, 28 April 2015, 5.45 to 6.20pm
YB warbler, few
Ashy drongo, one singing bird
(WT) Siberian blue robin, 1 first summer male.

Gives me hope for the rest of spring

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back