• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Warwickshire (2 Viewers)

Popped down on Saturday although it had been seen around 30 minutes before I turned up, but no joy for me while I was there plenty of Chiffchaff calling and a Grey Wagtail on the river. With the Sun and Chiffchaff calling it felt quite Spring like.

Tim

No luck for me today either Tim. But saying that, I did only pop in for 10 mins as I was heading over to Kingsbury to pick up my moth trap. Would have been nice to have swung in and seen it, but hey ho, I guess that aint always how things work out.

It was very nice to hear a singing chiffchaff though. Coupled with a singing skylark at the weekend (at a different site) it's beginning to feel a lot like Spring :t:

Adam

5/3/14 Plenty of chattering Redwing Hartshill Hayes CP area no doubt migrants ready to move off soon, a Yellowhammer in song by Crab tree farm Mancetter, a long-tailed Tit pair nestbuilding and collecting the old white fibres fron Rosebay Willow herb flowers, so not only feathers are be used for nest lining.

Regards, John

Siberian Chiffchaff

Russian Study
Notes from the Russian study, they classified fluvescens as hybrids in this study.
tristis no yellow on underparts
Hybrids (so including fluvescens) a little Yellow on the underparts.
abietnus PLENTY OF YELLOW ON UNDERPARTS.
There are no DNA Records as yet for abietinus in Britain in winter.

Russian Study
Notes from the Russian study, they classified fluvescens as hybrids in this study.

Where's the link John?

Yet again your posting unfounded rubbish, quotes, stats & snippets which prove nothing!! None of the birds you seem to be reporting are calling as Tristis not even mixed calling but plain old Collybita/Abietinus!!! So professor Harris over to you ;)

Dave

Russian Study

So where in that Paper does it mention Tristis calling as Collybita/Abietinus!! Call & song are 2 different things!! & where does it mention Fulvescens as a hybrid (Try to spell it right John!!) Yet again your taking snippets from here there & everywhere & trying to make out that your the new expert on these!! Until these birds are trapped etc & proper Scientific studies done then they're best left as Species rather than to a distinct sub............

Dave

So where in that Paper does it mention Tristis calling as Collybita/Abietinus!! Call & song are 2 different things!! & where does it mention Fulvescens as a hybrid (Try to spell it right John!!) Yet again your taking snippets from here there & everywhere & trying to make out that your the new expert on these!! Until these birds are trapped etc & proper Scientific studies done then they're best left as Species rather than to a distinct sub............

Dave

It's quite obvious you know little about the subject I don't discuss details with people who call scientific papers '' Rubbish''. I have notified the moderators of your descriptions.

14/3/14 now 3 Chiffchaff singing Hartshill, Moowood, a good habitat with open sessile Oak woodland and bramble scrub, the chap who owns it want's to build houses here.

Regards, John

Last edited:
17/3/14 Coton lakes, I had a look for the Siberian mixed singer, heard a brief spell of the Siberian mixed singing and also a brief view of the presumed bird in thick scrub, the bird was giving collybita calls it was in heavy moult (Siberian origin birds have a pre-breeding moult). The bird looked buffish above and off white below the views were brief.

Regards, John

17/3/14 Coton lakes, I had a look for the Siberian mixed singer, heard a brief spell of the Siberian mixed singing and also a brief view of the presumed bird in thick scrub, the bird was giving collybita calls it was in heavy moult (Siberian origin birds have a pre-breeding moult). The bird looked buffish above and off white below the views were brief.

Regards, John

Common Chiffchaff pre-breeding moult is usually finished by January.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back