• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

prestdj green year list in mytholmroyd 2023 (1 Viewer)

15th august

Early dog walk then back home to do some house work

Set off to head up on the moorland edge
Despite the wind quite interesting

a female type wheatear was feeding along a drystone wall. Little owl calling was very nice
A few chiffchaffs calling from a lovely sheltered garden but no other migrants
Lots of finches with

Siskin 20+
Bullfinch 1 juv
Chaffinch 4
Goldfinch 7
Linnet 8

These were all in woodland near the moor

2 swifts heading east seem late round here

After 4.8 miles very happy

72 wheatear
73 little owl

Attachments

• 2DB3D1C1-4593-411C-AA1A-EB6E1450E014.jpeg
    7.4 MB · Views: 3
6C1C9E85-88EA-41A9-98B8-BA3B65F812A1.jpegWell continued watching from the garden this evening

3 juv buzzards constantly calling and interacting over the valley
Raven flew over calling
2 kestrels
9 lesser black backed gulls and 12 black headed gulls went west

Plus a dipper on the short walk to Sainsbury’s

Got a good walk planned for tomorrow which I’m looking forward to and yes more hills

Well did a 6.5 mile walk from home to stoodley pike then back over the moors

Some great habitat around the isolated farms mainly muddy fields with juncus

Highlights

Goldfinch 100+
Linnet 8
Sparrowhawk 1f
Siskin 20+
Meadow pipit 70+
Wheatear 2
Willow warbler singing
Chiffchaff 7
Bullfinch 1 same as yesterday
Green woodpecker 1
Treecreeper 1
Stock dove 1

Had a look at Sunderland pasture which is not a pasture it’s a massive conifer wood but not much

The fields around swillington farm had 2 stonechat and a reed bunting

Back home

Buzzard 2
Kestrel 2
Sparrowhawk 3
Grey wagtail 1
Oyestercatcher 1

74 stonechat
75 reed bunting

Another walk tomorrow

Attachments

• 91DA9498-46B1-487B-A633-2CE90070F54F.jpeg
    91DA9498-46B1-487B-A633-2CE90070F54F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
Very quiet the last few days apart from up to 5 buzzards daily

A nice 3 mile walk along the moorland edge very windy
Nice views of coal tit goldcrest and treecreeper in daisy bank wood but very little else
Dropping down to great jumps farm there is a nice overgrown hedgerow out of the wind and facing the afternoon sun. Despite being 90 miles from the east coast it was a great place to spend an hour

Family group of bullfinch 6, male chaffinch , 8 Siskin 3 chiffchaffs feeding low down I saw a pale bird sat on the edge of the hawthorn spotted flycatcher!! Stunning not seen one for years. Suddenly I heard a sharp ‘tack’ after a few minutes a lesser whitethroat appeared from the hedge what a bird, not annual in the local area

Really happy today what a great few hours of birding

76 spotted flycatcher
77 lesser whitethroat

Firstly the stock dove last week was new
So the upto date list is

78 stock dove

Today

9 mile walk pushed myself to get to some bracken which can be excellent for migrants on the moors also some big isolated gardens around the moors, as birders know drizzle and low cloud help so really gave my walk a meaning and I was rewarded

First patch of bracken had 4 stonechats 1 whitethroat 6 chiffchaffs and a willow warbler then up popped a blackcap and a male wheatear on the wall

Getting higher up and more craggy that smallest of falcons a merlin dashed over the moor then sat watching from a boulder a very smart male

Up and over the hill back down to my favourite area swillington farm and pinnicle lane another wheatear this one a female, the large overgrown garden along pinnicle lane held a female type redstart which had me saying “ redstart yes effing yes” to myself! And more chiffchaffs
Raven over being chased by a crow for size comparison

So a excellent day

79 Merlin
80 Redstart

So 80 reached when at the start of the year I was aiming for 60

As I write it’s misty and raining so tomorrow could be good the moors are covered in low cloud

after whats seems like 2 weeks of very little bird life here, this morning was quite good

house martin still over 50 around the house
grey wagtail 5
kingfisher on the canal
cormorant over

and best of all 2 skiens of pink footed geese totalling around 250 heading east

a nice 4.5 mile walk this morning
came across a bird feeder opposite the robin hood pub that must have had the most coal tits ive seen there were over 30! plus 2 nuthatches quite mesmerizing watching them come and go
jays have started to be more active with over 7 seen, buzzards are back with 3 seen

a few meadow pipits heading sw over the last few days plus dipper on the river

been a good few days birding

well the last week or so has been quiet with just the usual stuff around

house martins are still around the house!!
2 cormorants are back on the lamposts
sparrowhawk over the garden on monday
dipper 2 on the river
meadow pipit good numbers over heading sw
tawny owl calling most evenings
goosander 3 on the river 1m 2f
pink footed goose small number around 90 heading se on friday
siskin good numbers around

off to anglesey for the weekend as we are missing wales

nothing today apart from redwings, for me autumn has arrived when you suddenly hear them calling overhead.
the first wave started around 5am with a steady stream heading south-west until around midday when they stopped, i reckon over 3000+ went over the garden this morning

saturday 28th

after a couple of weeks of storms and nearly getting flooded this saturday was the first chance to get out

the morning started well with the first fieldfare of the year and some small groups of redwings heading over, most of saturday was spent in the garden with heavy mist covering the valley at times
the wetlands in the afternoon had 100 black headed gulls 2 common gulls and a 1st year herring gull
later in the afternoon a small skien of pink footed geese went low west before heading back and going north-west always great to hear and see

sunday 29th

dog walk and garden watch before midday

buzzard 2
raven 2
goosander 1 f
20+ siskins over the garden

86 Fieldfare

IMG_0101.JPG

today 11th november

a bright frosty morning

garden 0700-0800

coal tit 2
fieldfare 4 overhead
grey wagtail 2
raven 1

redacre wood and canal 0830-0930

kingfisher 1
goosander 2 f
buzzard 2
greenfinch 2
siskin 7
nuthatch 1
pink footed goose 134 east
common gull 1 ad
dipper 1

garden watch 1000-1300

herring gull 4 nw
great black backed gull 1ad nw
sparrowhawk 1m

the great black backed gull was another addition to the year list not annual so most welcome

87 Great black backed gull

birding has dried up here due to the weather not much to report, did see some waxings locally but had to drive so not counted

last month just the usual dippers, kingfishers, goosander

the large group of canada geese on brearerly fields this afternoon had a single pink footed goose nice to see one on the ground round here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back