• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds Pub Quiz!!! (2 Viewers)

gropperwinch

hello, ladies and gentleman, and welcome to my own Pub Quiz on birdwatching. Sadly there is no available pub so this isn't technically a pub quiz, but, rather than using photos, winning this quiz relies purely on your own knowledge of bird trivia! each week I will post 10 questions, and a point will be awarded for each question answered correctly. Beware though, some of these might be a bit tricky. And NO using any resources other than your own brainpower to answer my questions! I realise there is f**k all I can do to stop you but hopefully your own consciences will prevent you from posting the answers having consulted an encyclolpedia or google search!

1. when was Purple Heron removed from the list of descriptions reviewed by BBRC, and relegated to a local comittee bird??

2. who was the father of Peter Scott, founder of the WWT?

3. when was the first accepted british record of Franklin's Gull?

4. How many accepted records of Whiskered Tern had there been in Britain and Ireland, up to 2008?

5. What is the commonest species of duck in the world?

6. Name the eagle that lived on New Zealand up until the 14th century, and is believed to have preyed on humans.(english or scientific name)

7. What bird of prey is believed to have evolved mimicry of another bird as a defence mechanism against Goshawks, in a similar way to False Coral Snakes?

8. what is the swedish name for Little Grebe?

9. what is the english name of Luscinia calliope?

10. How many species of Heron have been recorded in Britain? (an extra point if you can name them all!;)

hope you all have some fun with this!!!

all the best

Liam

2. Scott of the antarctic

5. Mallard

9. Siberian rubythroat

10. I'll have a guess at 12

havent a clue about the rest.

2 and 9 right, (I guess you of all people know about Sibe Ruby's though!) which puts you on two points, but there is at least one species of duck I know is commoner than Mallard. You were close with the Heron's though!

leaderboard
Adam W-2 points

Can we join teams? Otherwise, here's my dire effort ... ;)

1. when was Purple Heron removed from the list of descriptions reviewed by BBRC, and relegated to a local comittee bird??

1969?

2. who was the father of Peter Scott, founder of the WWT?

His dad

3. when was the first accepted british record of Franklin's Gull?

1929?

4. How many accepted records of Whiskered Tern had there been in Britain and Ireland, up to 2008?

94?

5. What is the commonest species of duck in the world?

Teal?

6. Name the eagle that lived on New Zealand up until the 14th century, and is believed to have preyed on humans.(english or scientific name)

Haast's

7. What bird of prey is believed to have evolved mimicry of another bird as a defence mechanism against Goshawks, in a similar way to False Coral Snakes?

Dark Chanting Goshawk?

8. what is the swedish name for Little Grebe?

Okolob?

9. what is the english name of Luscinia calliope?

Bluethroat?

10. How many species of Heron have been recorded in Britain? (an extra point if you can name them all!;)

10;

Grey
Purple
Squacco Heron
Night Heron
Little Egret
Great White Egret
Snowy?
Great Blue
Green Heron
Indian Pond Heron (?)

13; If you include Bitterns;

Great
American
Little

??

(+ Little Blue Heron (in Ireland?))

Oh dear ...

Dan, you were absolutely right with no. 6, but slightly too late! I will give you a point for no.10 though, as there have been 13 herons recorded in Britain (I wasn't counting Little Blue, which might make it 14 if it has been accepted). However, Chinese Pond Heron is not one (unless there has been one I don't know about) but you have made one huge blunder which robbed you of a point! I'm sure you or someone else will pick it out soon though!

1st-Adam W-2 points
2nd-David FG-1 point
2nd-Dantheman-1 point

That sounds about right, considering almost everything was a guess lol. I've just noticed the error now as well - I've even seen a few about!

Incidentally (and it would have to be on trust too), I think you should allow people to have a go at all the questions, maybe put a statement in your first post telling people to try and answer the q's without reading others answers first ... otherwise it doesn't really resemble a fair quiz imo, if someone gets in first with all the easier q's?? ...

Anyway ... good idea ;)

Quite right Johnny, and since I assume you could have named the other twelve herons without much difficulty, You get a point and go in joint second. :t:

1st-Adam W-2 points
2nd-Johnny721-1 point
2nd-Dantheman-1 point
2nd-DavidFG-1 point

I am now looking for answers to questions 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8.

Dan I think you had a good idea. For this round I will keep the current format, but in the second round I will change it so that everyone can have a go at all the questions. Of course this does rely on honesty, but I trust you all to play fair!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back