• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds you cannot tick, because not enough diagnostic info (1 Viewer)

earlytorise

Here is an opportunity for you to list the birds which you have seen or could see but which you cannot tick on your list, because there is simply not enough diagnostic information from your sighting to rule out some very similar bird, however unlikely that bird is.

In the context of Hong Kong, where I live:

• Sulphur-breasted Warbler is a scarce but regular winter visitor. I have probably seen this in many a bird wave. However, I have never heard the call/song and am therefore unable to rule out Limestone Leaf Warbler.
  • I chose not to go and photograph a couple of putative Japanese Quails, which were twitchable this year. As far as I'm concerned, the photographs that I was shown do not rule out Common Quail. As far as I know, this year's quails didn't sing or call.
  • White's Thrush and Scaly Thrush cannot be separated by photographs on the basis of existing evidence. Quite a pity, since I witnessed quite a few presumed White's in Hong Kong this autumn.
Who knows which other bird will become untickable when it gets split up into different species!

Last edited:
Surf Scoter in my case. Many years ago there was one offshore with two female/imm Eider between Selsey and Pagham Harbour, by the time I‘d freed myself up from junior footie duties the three birds were way out from the shore. Even with a ‘scope they were little more than three dark duck shaped blobs, so I still haven’t seen (well enough to count) a Surf Scoter, oh the shame……….

Bearded Reedling is often reported on my local patch, I scan the reedbeds in the area and have often glimpsed bright tan-coloured birds flying low over the reed tops and dipping back down. Always just too far and too concealed for me to tick, I would really love to get at patch tick for this species.

Scripp's murrelet. The one bird I did see was in glare and the way the light hit the bird it made the underwing look brighter, and more characteristic of Craveri's (IIRC). While I believe the birders around me who had better looks, I just can't count it s the only diagnostic looks suggested another species.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back