• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-Headed Gulls? Rimini, Italy 9-10 August (1 Viewer)

jmtully

United States
Spotted a lot of gulls during a recent trip to Rimini, Italy. I think these are Black-headed gulls, but they could be Mediterranean Gulls perhaps?

None were breeding plumage. Some (that I didn't get reasonable photographs of) had very light gray heads.

Looking at some references, from what I can see most seem to have the spot behind the eye that looks like non-breeding Black-headed Gulls. But on some it's not that clear, perhaps juvenile? Dark tip on the bills also would seem to support Black-headed compared to Mediterranean.

Photos are from iPhone and are cropped.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_1613.jpeg
    IMG_1613.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1689.jpeg
    IMG_1689.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2853.jpeg
    IMG_2853.jpeg
    288.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3086.jpeg
    IMG_3086.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0478.jpeg
    IMG_0478.jpeg
    349.4 KB · Views: 41
Thanks to all who commented. I've gone back and looked at the pictures again (as well as a bunch I did not post) and they all look like Black-Headed Gulls based largely on bill shape. I've updated the appropriate records in eBird.

Im also not happy with no.3

Count me in too.

Head shape looks off for BHG, and the general impression I get is of a 3cy Med, which can show such reduced black markings on the head (usually only leucistic BHGs in my experience show such reduced head pattern). It also looks very pale (though I wouldn't trust that too much as exposure could be causing this) and the bi-coloured bill is more typical of 3cy Med Gull too.

I find it hard to judge bill depth in this image because of the dark background, but Meds can be surprisingly small-billed.
The wing pattern could fit either as primary moult can lead to a pattern like this in both species. Just too many 'ifs' for this to be so easily passed off as a standard BHG.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back