• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird siting at feeder station (1 Viewer)

Norman Searle

Canada
Hi. I am located next to the Winnipeg River in eastern Manitoba near Great Falls. It is full on winter. My property near the river has open water all year long so I see waterfoul and bald eagles a lot here. I also had a Great Grey owl on the property last week. I just had a blackbird scoping out my feeders. It didn't stick around long. I suspect it was a Brewer's but the light coloured eye didn't seem right. The body plumage was black with a hint of brown but no sheen. The head was black with a slight sheen. The bill was black. The tail was just under body length. Overall size just a bit smaller than the Bluejays that were also at the feeder. My question: was this a Brewer's or something else? Thanks.

Last edited:
I just got a better look at this one and I don't believe it is a Rusty Blackbird. The purple sheen on the head and light coloured eye would be the tell. If this is a Brewer's it is not supposed to winter farther north than Kansas or so. It seems to be a long way out of it's range. The tail on this bird has a prominent fan shape but is not long like a grackle. I hope it lasts until spring.

Maybe a Common Grackle because their tails are not as long as a Boat-tailed Grackle. The rest of the bird does sound like a Grackle in your descrition.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back