• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Tit looking to roost over the winter? (1 Viewer)

sunguy

http://www.meaghermoore.plus.com/
After months with no sign of activity in our birdbox we have a new visitor, here in the UK it's starting to get cold as we move from late Summer and into Winter, I have previously been told it's not advisable to have over-wintering Blue Tits roosting as these can disrupt Spring nesting. Should I plug up the box till the Spring? any advice please as I don't want to loose next years clutch (we lost all 9 chicks this year).

Attachments

• 08-56-09.jpg
    08-56-09.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 08-56-02.jpg
    08-56-02.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 3
I think you’ve been given weird advice.

We’ve had blue tits roosting over winter in our nest box for the past three years and it has had no effect on the box being used for nesting in the Spring. This year we had 10 eggs and 7 fledglings.

Hi Sunguy

Winter roosting will have no effect on spring nesting attempts. The main reason so many Blue Tit nesting attempts failed this year was due to the awful spring weather which affected the emergence of caterpillars for the young.

Hi Sunguy

Winter roosting will have no effect on spring nesting attempts. The main reason so many Blue Tit nesting attempts failed this year was due to the awful spring weather which affected the emergence of caterpillars for the young.
The Blue Tit is back! so as recommended we will leave the little chap alone. The birdbox has a Raspberry Pi camera and DC to DC converter so the box gets a few degrees warmer that the outside. I would agree with Delia and Kits that the late spring and the lack of food was a contributing factor to our loss. Thanks for the advice and I will keep you all posted.

Attachments

• 10-56-13.jpg
    10-56-13.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 3
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back