• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluebirds getting stuck in glassed in feeder (3 Viewers)

Birdman0992

I have a family of Eastern bluebirds in the Backyard. I’ve been feeding them mealworms via a platform feeder. They’ve become so accustomed to getting fed that they fly over towards me when I walk outside. Since starting to use mealworms, we’ve also had a huge problem with starlings bullying the bluebirds and eating all of the worms. I did some research and found a starling-proof bluebird feeder. It’s a wooden feeder with a lid, glass on two sides and wood in two sides with holes the size of bluebirds. The bluebirds were of course cautious of this feeder but then the female decided to brave it and fly into the feeder. She ate some of the mealworms Inside but I was frightened to see when she was wanting to leave that she was stuck inside, trying to fly out via the glass walls. She finally figured it out and flew out of the box but has been apprehensive (rightly so) from going back in. And the male still can’t figure it out. Has anyone else had a similar situation and know of any possible solutions? I love seeing that the starlings can’t get in but worried about the bluebirds getting stuck again. Thanks!

Hi Birdman and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum.

I'd leave the feeder up for a wee bit longer. Eventually, I'm sure the female will go back in and as she does this other bluebirds might figure it out as well. But let's see what others have to say.

I've always found that birds accommodate to unfamiliar and even threatening things pretty quickly. I'm sure the bluebird will build confidence in the same way that other birds do when confronted with scarecrows and plastic snakes and models of owls actually intended to keep them away. If nothing changes, birds accommodate and continue to visit food and water sources.

I am having the exact same problem. She got stuck, once figured it all out, she has not hardly attemted to go back in. I am affraid I may have placed to mucmealworm in the feeder, she could swim in it. [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back