• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bonelli's eagle??? Marettimo Sicily (1 Viewer)

Kinthissa

this is a long shot ~ i thought there was a bird way up atop the cliffs, and took 3 snaps. first snap was of the wrong rocks, and the second and third appear to show that sphinx-like Bonelli's eagle sitting parallel-thighed. am i seeing things? 6 September.

Attachments

• p1320357.2400.1100.1000.750.i800.jpg
    p1320357.2400.1100.1000.750.i800.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 107
  • p1320358.1600.1150.1000.750.i800.jpg
    p1320358.1600.1150.1000.750.i800.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 102
Gavel coming down, CB! thank you!

locals say there's a resident pair of Bonelli's eagles but that they are not often seen, their hunting terrain extends to the Sicilian mainland

locals say there's a resident pair of Bonelli's eagles but that they are not often seen

That's normal for any pair ;) They are quite discreet (not always!) - every day in good weather soaring very high indeed over their territory, spending time perched often hidden and hunting low . The best plan to see them would be to find a high viewpoint and scan and scan - 1, 2 or 3 visits of a couple of hours should produce sightings and you will know when you see them decently. In the autumn I would visit mid-morning to lunch or the last couple of hours of the day. Hanging around a breeding site would be counter-productive - they will see you from far away and not approach or do so in a way that you wouldn't see.

Thank you for your suggestions, Simon. I hope to have another chance second half of November, i will keep in mind those periods in the day.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back