• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

British House Sparrow - an observation (1 Viewer)

Mike D

Hare today - gone tomorrow!
I have a healthy population of between 20 and 30 'sparrers' regularly feeding in my garden in Norwich.
It occurred to me today as I watched young ones being fed that there are only 3 males. I realise that the juvs are very similar to females, but only 6 young (3 in the first and 3 in the second brood) have been recorded as being nursed.
Now this points to a very top heavy female population.
Has anyone else noticed this?

Hi Mike, have to admit I've not noticed but I'll be sure to pay more attention when I see the cheaky chaps (or chapesses). Happily like yourself we still have the privilage of seeing them over here in the SW.

Thanks for reply Tony. I'd be very interested to hear what the result is.
When I was a kid I never realised the poor old sparrow would be in such a predicament.
Mike

Nor me ... there always seemed to be hundreds about & it was "o just another sparrow"... now I can sit for hours enjoying them.

Mike,

You may perhaps like to take part in the ongoing survey work being carried out by the BTO who are attempting to work out the causes of declines in urban House Sparrows.

The survey is being organised by Rosie Cleary who is contactable at [email protected]

The most up to date reference on this topic is:

Crick et al (eds) 2002. Investigation into the causes of the decline in Starlings and House Sparrows in Great Britain. BTO Research Report No. 290, Thetford.

The lack of information on urban House Sparrow populations is remarkable so any help will be much appreciated.

MV

I did notice this too, there were about 30 Sparrers in the garden with two full adult males but a lot fo the young males do not look like adult males so it would be winter before we see the result of supporting the fledglings with birdfood.

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for that. So that's been noticed in the West and here in the East. Hmmmm . . . 'Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice'.
As you say it will be a while before a meaningful observation can be made, ie the juvs are fully feathered, but I first noticed this in early May, probably before a lot of the young had fledged.

I can't comment on the sex ratio of young HS here because there aren't any anymore. There used to be flocks around my neighbourhood here in Gloucestershire but not now.

Hi everybody

I was talking to my Mum in Shoeburyness, Essex (bottom right hand corner in the bandit country east of Southend). She said that she had eight sparrows who visited her garden until about two weeks ago, then they suddenly stopped coming.

Has anybody got any ideas? Should she carry on posting the 'missing persons' posters on the telegraph poles, or have they gone for good? I hope not, she had a name for each of them...

Regards

Dick

PS See some of you at the Bird Fair at Rutland Waters this weekend?

Hi Dick,

Are her spuggies within flying range (about a mile or so) of any cereal fields?

If yes, they've probably gone out to the fields for their summer holidays to gorge themselves silly on grain. They'll be back when the harvest's done.

Michael

Good afternoon all,

To day for the first time in three years two sparrows had a brief look at the nut feeder.
I live in hope.

Gordon Boreham-Styffe.

Hi all,

I live on farmland in Derbyshire and have done so for nearly three years now and can count sparrow sightings in my garden on one hand.

How about some of you guys send some over.

Hi Billy Boy,
Do you know if their numbers suddenly dropped, and if so when?
I can't say I've any knowledge of HS in that area. I lived in Whitley Bay (further North admittedly) in the mid-sixties and seem to think that their numbers were normal, at least, not remarkable either way.
Also, to revert to my original thoughts on the subject, numbers of both sexes?
Cheers,
Mike

Hello Mike D

Hello Mike D

I'm not sure if the numbers have suddenly dropped or if It's been like it for a while but like I say in three years sightings have been few and far between. On the farmland I live on they are very scarce, but ifI go on a little walk up the lane (about 10 mins) there are quite a few HS down there. I guess the males outnumber the females by 3 or 4 to 1. I know it's getting to be a bit of a cliche now but there was loads about when I was a kid but not anymore....quite sad really.

Billy Boy.

male/female quota

Hi,
It's known that more females are born in times of wellbeing, and more males are born in times of strife or hunger.
I'm talking about human beings here, but surely it's the same with other animals/birds?

Nature's idea, I suppose, is that when there is an abundance of food, then the more females born, the higher the potential number/better chance of survival of offspring? Or when there is less food and wellbeing, more males are needed to hunt/fight/protect?

Susan

Hi Billy Boy,
It's nice to hear that the males are outnumbering the females. Pity the overall numbers are decreasing, hopefully they will never disappear altogether. World wouldn't be the same without some of my 'little people' in the garden.

Susan,
Thanks for yours.
I think that HS are monogamous for each brood because most the nursing is taken on by dad, unlike homo sapien (on both counts!). So, if this is true then there is no 'logical' reason for anything other than a straight 50/50 split? More pairs - more offspring.
Of course this is accepting the first hypothesis as true, about them being monogamous.
Out of my 30 or so I still only have 3 adult males - fact! Dunno . . . . Still thinking!
Many thanks for giving me more fuel.

To add to that......There is also some evidence that the type of food eaten during pregnancy determines the sex of the offspring in humans. Can't remember specifics though.

In my garden yesterday morning there were about 10 juvenile blackbirds and 2 adults. A lot more blackbirds than I have ever seen in one go - this must have been a bumper year! Only the two adults had orange beaks. Does this mean the young were all female or do the males' beaks turn orange later?

Susan

Morning Susan,

I think that's right about the beaks in male Blackbirds turning orange later. I noticed last year that there seemed to be a lot of females around but as the weeks/months went on there seemed to be more males or it could just be me.

Talking of bumper years, it's been a very good year for Blue & Great tits around here, I'm often seeing a long queue of tits on the washing line waiting for their turn on the feeders. Not so many Chaffinches around this year for some reason.

Billy Boy.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back