• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shrike - Japan (2 Viewers)

misikuru

Poland
Is this shrike a bull-headed shrike or brown shrike? Photo taken today in a marsh land in Niigata prefecture, Japan.

I thought it might be a brown shrike as it has pale flanks and pink bill with black tip, also it seems to me that it's a bit too pale for a bull-headed (comparing with photos on ebirds). But it has a greyish shade on the back and I don't see white supercilium, so I can't decide.

Attachments

• P1038031 (2).JPG
    P1038031 (2).JPG
    323.1 KB · Views: 69
  • P1038038 (2).JPG
    P1038038 (2).JPG
    342.5 KB · Views: 69
  • P1038041 (2).JPG
    P1038041 (2).JPG
    280.3 KB · Views: 69
Its a very worn adult (fem?) Bull-headed, combination of grey mantle and uppertail, reduced mask and supercilium + diminutive build confirm. Resident form of Brown (superciliosis) has much warmer, uniform rufous-brown upperparts (including tail), a more extensive mask, obvious white supercilium + heavier build including, in particular, head and bill.

Grahame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back