• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Get Your Zoom Back! Eye Fatigue Can Be Mitigated (1 Viewer)

dwever

BTX: I've just read yet another comment regarding the relative superior comfort of the BTX over the ATX and STX particularly regarding eye fatigue when trying to observe for prolonged periods of time. Be strategic and train your eye. For the most part I would respectfully suggested that fatigue from one-eyed scope viewing is self-inflicted.

Many years ago in another life I surveilled with first a Steiner and then a Zeiss Mariner 7X50 binocular; and, spent hours behind a mounted scope laying down. Training involved many eye fatigue strategies, but none more effective for me than simply keeping both eyes open when behind a scope, spotting or other type. For most folks, five hours on an optic is a stretch, but ten is trainable.

Not only do two-eyes-open serve situational awareness, but you can't slam one eye shut and sustain flex that group of muscles without early onset of discomfort to that muscle group. And, your dominant eye muscles can relax if the other eye is open. There is dominant eye strain from one-eyed viewing as evidenced by eye-closers having their sight go blurry and they will look away from the scope then go back to the scope to get a clear picture again. I've noticed with both eyes open I can surveil with a scope about as long as with bins. Having said that, you must take breaks if possible every 30 minutes or you may develop a headache.

Learn your tolerances and extend your tolerances through strategic use. Strain will happen more with some scopes than others, and I like to use a power setting that allows the biggest exit pupil possible whether scope or binoculars - I'll never own 8X32's or 8X20 binoculars for that reason. 8X42 and up for binoculars, space and weight permitting. 25Xby85mm and up for spotting scopes. I adored the 115mm objective, but it was big enough to knock a bull moose unconscious.

Other strategies I've seen are an eye-patch - No, I do not recommend. Another guy tried Scoth tape on his glasses reasoning the tape would blur the vision in his off-eye but still let the light in - I don't know. I recommend having the best glass you can afford (why I went from Steiner to Zeiss), and be sure to immobilize the optic to the extent possible. Consider using a boonie hat to block ambient glare. Of course sleep, stress, age, and caffeine are all factors. Pause behind the glass and check your body for tension such as in your shoulders or back (e.g. because your bending unnaturally and should adjust your tripod's height), are you stretching? Are you aware of an optimum posture for you when behind glass? Could your tripod be lightened enough to be worth CF? If you're not using number one more often in the field, you are likely not intentional enough about hydration. If your 60+ a ten hour day may be too much and four to six is more realistic. Or, you can have an ophthalmologist make you glasses or contacts specific to using glass. I wear contacts at 62 and can pretty much do what I want.

Really didn't get to edit what I've just written, I'll update after church.

I've only used a BTX in the store, I'm sure it is an amazing piece of kit. I would suggest you can close the comfort gap quite a bit with smart viewing with an ATX. :). Peace.

Last edited:
Interesting, and a technique I should probably have learned when I bought my first scope 17 years ago.
I have just given it a try and find that it is somewhat difficult to achieve correct eye placement, so it is going to require some practice.
Also in twilight it seemed that the brightness loss when zooming up from 25x minimum magnification was more apparent with both eyes open.
Btw, I'm in full agreement with your preference for large exit pupils. Binoculars with 6 mm or 7 mm exit pupils usually elicit a "wow" from the uninitiated.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back