• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bunting ? (1 Viewer)

PWG

Last Saturday on Hartland Point, Devon UK. The closest I can get is probably a bunting? After searching a great pile of bird guides I still can't get any closer.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,003
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 694
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 479
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 409
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 399
PWG said:
Last Saturday on Hartland Point, Devon UK. The closest I can get is probably a bunting? After searching a great pile of bird guides I still can't get any closer.

Looks like a male reed bunting coming into summer plumage but it's incredibly late. I'd send it around.

That is a real puzzler! Reed bunting is a possible but there are a lot of features that don't fit. I'm stumped!

It looks like a reed bunting but it hasnt got any markings on the breast and no sign of a white collar i'm willing to stick my neck out and have it choped off by some one saying its within the variation of reed bunt but seen as its in devon reed x cirl

I think the most likely solution is Reed Bunting, but I get a hint of Little Bunting - Emberiza pusilla, but that is incredibly unlikely.

Touty said:
Looks like a male reed bunting coming into summer plumage but it's incredibly late. I'd send it around.

Sounds good to me.

Perhaps the snow we had a little while back confused it?

Just looks like an unmoulted Reed bunting male to me. If you fill in the white with black where it would be in SP, then there's nothing anomalous about it.

The breast is streaked, but light is blowing them out.

GV

Actually I have seen and handled loads of Reed Bunts and never seen one look like this. What I can't square is where the russet/chestnut on the crown and rear ear coverts from. The mantle lines also seem much whiter than you would expect. There is also a lot more chestnut lone in the wing coverts. It looks like a Reed Bunting structurally. I'm wondering if is another example of erythrism (spp) like this one!

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=7417

Actually, the bird on the wire doesn't look anything like the bird in the first two pics, although presumably it is or PWG would have said.

The bird in pics 3, 4 and 5 show no hint of white below the malar patches, yet bird 1 and 2 do quite strongly. Since I'm sure PWG has got the same bird, perhaps there is a curious light effect bleaching out some of the colours. If you turn the white on rear ear coverts and mantle buff brown instead perhaps you'd have something more like a F Reed transitioning W - S?

Andrew

Ghostly Vision said:
Just looks like an unmoulted Reed bunting male to me. If you fill in the white with black where it would be in SP, then there's nothing anomalous about it.

The breast is streaked, but light is blowing them out.

GV

I agree. The only issue is that the summer plumage in male buntings is brought about through feather wear (i.e the black or yellow or whatever is there in winter plumage and comes out as the tips wear off). Most male reed buntings resemble the Hartland photo in late January.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back