• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Californian birds 4, 30 Oct.-1 Nov., Laguna Beach etc (1 Viewer)

Macswede

Macswede
The final thread for my visit to California

Universal Studios
1 Goldeneye
2 American Coot

Laguna Beach
3 Allen's
4 Allen's (Even though they look so different to me I think they're the same species).
5 California Towhee

Attachments

• IMG_1055.jpg
    IMG_1055.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1059.jpg
    IMG_1059.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1154.jpg
    IMG_1154.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1187.jpg
    IMG_1187.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1252.jpg
    IMG_1252.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 59
All Laguna Beach

6 Anna's
7 Allen's
8 Allen's (female)
9 American Crow (even though the tail looks quite wedge-shaped)
10 Allen's (male)

Attachments

• IMG_1285.jpg
    IMG_1285.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1315.jpg
    IMG_1315.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1384.jpg
    IMG_1384.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Laguna Beach
11 Anna's (male)
12 Not sure, maybe Orange-crowned Warbler

University of California Irvine
13 Cedar Waxwing
14 Cedar Waxwing

Laguna Beach
15 Anna's (male)

Attachments

• IMG_1413.jpg
    IMG_1413.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1442.jpg
    IMG_1442.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1579.jpg
    IMG_1579.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1595.jpg
    IMG_1595.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1654.jpg
    IMG_1654.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Laguna Beach

16 Anna's (male)

Plus 1 with no picture On the way home we changed to our international flight at Chicago O'Hare and when I was walking along a glass corridor I looked up and saw a smallish falcon fly past quite low. I got a good view and it had buff underparts and no other obvious distinguishing marks. Is anything other than American Kestrel possible?

I'd just like to say thanks to everyone for the ID help. I had a great trip to California - not just because of the the birds either though that was a big factor. There were nice people, good food and some beautiful places. The study visits were very interesting too.

Attachments

• IMG_1666.jpg
    IMG_1666.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Sorry, I can't comment much on the hummers. I just don't know them well. The duck is not a Ruddy Duck either - that would have either a white cheek patch, or a dark line through a whitish cheek. I'm leaning towards female Redhead, but it doesn't seem to fit perfectly. Do you have any other pictures? Is it possible that there were exotics on the pond, and I have to consider non-US ducks?

Agree with Ruddy Duck, Say's Phoebe, and Yellow-rumped Warbler.
Isn't the last hummer another Anna's? The structural red seems to go well up into the crown which is consistent with Anna's.

There are 3 pics of the duck. The trouble is they're all pretty much identical. Here's one more though.
I don't think it's a Ruddy Duck either now.

Attachments

• IMG_1057.jpg
    IMG_1057.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
That tail 'screams' stiff-tailed duck, no? Agree ruddy should have more white on the face but perhaps a tick of the light?

No, not really. It looks like a standard duck tail to me. Stifftail tails are much longer with a different shape:
http://www.flyways.us/sites/default/files/images/stories/ruddyduck/2RuddyDuckFemale.jpg
I think Macswedes' bird is just unusual because you dont usually see diving ducks holding up their tail. The head is not really in that much of a shadow and any pattern would show up quite clearly in that light. Also, stifftails have a different, shorter flatter head shape than this duck. My vote is for female Aythya, probably either Redhead or Ring-necked Duck.

On jizz it looks like a Ring-necked duck. The dull facial pattern is strange but on structure the bird looks better fo Ring-necked to my eyes with a domed rear-crown rather than a domed forehead (as in Redhead). Body shape looks quite 'compact' as well (very subjective I reckon!) also, this duck seems to float quite high on the water while Redhead is quite 'flat' in appearence, if that makes any sense...

Ring-necked then.

Sorry to break that consensus, but I think it matches better w female redhead than ring-neck, especially in the shape of the bill (even if one forgets that only very young ring-necks should lack the white ring around the bill).

Niels

I'm now firmly in the Ring-necked camp. If you look really closely, you can actually see the white ring on the bill. I agree with the point made about head shape. Also, you can just barely see the white patch at the base of the bill.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back