• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can a species that includes subspecies also stand alone? (1 Viewer)

Could not think how to phrase that question better. Say you've got a bird species, Genus species, and it has subspecies subspecies1, subspecies2, subspecies3, etc. Would or could there be a Genus species that has no subspecies designation or does the "parent" species always get a subspecies appended (usually the same as the species name?) when new subspecies are recognized?

Could not think how to phrase that question better. Say you've got a bird species, Genus species, and it has subspecies subspecies1, subspecies2, subspecies3, etc. Would or could there be a Genus species that has no subspecies designation or does the "parent" species always get a subspecies appended (usually the same as the species name?) when new subspecies are recognized?

Not sure I understand the question correctly, but nothing forces you to add a subspecies name to a binomen Genus species. If there is more than one subspecies recognized, the binomen (without a subspecies name) will refer to the species a whole, with all its subspecies included. If you add a subspecies name, you get a trinomen that will refer to one subspecies in particular, to the exclusion of the others.
Aus bus and Aus bus bus refer to taxa with different inclusiveness -- the latter is a subset the former.

...the "parent" species always get a subspecies appended (usually the same as the species name?) when new subspecies are recognized?
The parent species can only get subspecies appended if it is a polytypic species, but you can still refer to it by the binomial Genus species without having to indicate subspecies. Conversely, a monotypic species is only ever referred to by Genus species (because it doesn't have any subspecies).

An example of names changing when new subspecies are recognised is the Manx Shearwater Puffinus puffinus.

This species was long considered monotypic and thus only referred to as Puffinus puffinus but the Canary Islands form was recently decreed to be different enough to be treated as a separate subspecies. This now means that the non-Canarian form is Puffinus puffinus puffinus whilst the Canarian form is Puffinus puffinus canariensis. However, both forms can still meaningly be referred to as Puffinus puffinus.

Hope this helps.

This species was long considered monotypic and thus only referred to as Puffinus puffinus but the Canary Islands form was recently decreed to be different enough to be treated as a separate subspecies. This now means that the non-Canarian form is Puffinus puffinus puffinus whilst the Canarian form is Puffinus puffinus canariensis. However, both forms can still meaningly be referred to as Puffinus puffinus.

Hope this helps.
It does indeed help to have a concrete example. I understood before that the species was the container for all the subspecies. What I didn't know if, as in the case you used, the formerly monotypic species had to have a subspecies appended or if it could remain a binomen. (Thank you, @l_raty for the terminology.) It makes logical sense or otherwise referring to Puffinus puffinus and meaning only the Canadian form would not be clear.

It does indeed help to have a concrete example. I understood before that the species was the container for all the subspecies. What I didn't know if, as in the case you used, the formerly monotypic species had to have a subspecies appended or if it could remain a binomen. (Thank you, @l_raty for the terminology.) It makes logical sense or otherwise referring to Puffinus puffinus and meaning only the Canadian form would not be clear.
Are you asking: when a formerly monotypic species has a new subspecies named, which population becomes the nominate (receives the same name as the species name)? If so, then the answer is: whichever population is the one that was originally named becomes the nominate subspecies. That is to say: in the original description of the species, the population that is the source of the holotype specimen is the one that is considered "nominate" and any other new taxon named that falls under that species name receives its own subspecies name. So, for example, Great Gray Owl was first described in 1772 from Hudson Bay, Canada, and its name is Strix nebulosa. However, when a new subspecies from Scandinavia was named "lapponica" in 1798, the American form then became "Strix nebulosa nebulosa" as it was the first named and is thus the nominate subspecies. But the type locality (the place from where the holotype specimen comes) isn't always the place where the nominate population lives, as holotypes can be migrants or even vagrants, so the type locality may not be representative of the regular distribution of that named population. It is the source population of the holotype that is the one properly labeled by that name.

Rereading your first question, I think my answer above may help, but I think you are asking if a polytypic species can have a population that remains strictly binomial (Strix nebulosa in the above case). The answer is: no. You can use "Strix nebulosa" to refer to the entire species, including all named subspecies, but if you are referring to a specific subspecies, it is appropriate to use the trinomial "Strix nebulosa nebulosa" or "S. n. lapponica," otherwise you are not being clear to which subspecies you are referring. To say simply "Strix nebulosa" but refer only to the American subspecies is confusing.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back