• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can anyone help ID this bird (1 Viewer)

Guitarman

Scotland
Hi,
I spotted this bird at the bird bath in my garden is south lanarkshire. It looks like a Nuthatch but it had a dark grey back and white chest. I tried looking it up but the closest I could get was a Canadian Nuthatch but according to my bird book they do not reside in the UK.
I had a good close look at it with my binocs before taking a snap of it with my phone and the colours are defo Grey back and White front.
Can anyone confirm this or tell me if it something different.
Appologies for the poor clarity as it was taken from my phone thru my window.

Cheers..
Guitarman.bird1.jpg

To me its definitely a Nuthatch but the black crown has me confused. It almost looks like the Corsican variety but that seems very much out of place in Scotland. I'd be interested to see the opinion of more experienced people here!

Certainly a Nuthatch; it looks rather oddly plumages, paler than usual underneath for example. This could be explained by it being a first year bird, which would be paler. Similarly the dark crown might just be a photo artefact. Alternatively it might be an odd (aberrant) plumage. However, the structure does not match some of the other suggestions (White-breasted or Corsican); it is a Eurasian Nuthatch.

Hi Guitarman and a warm welcome from all the Staff and Moderators.

All things Scottish can be found here. Keep an eye on threads titled Scottish Bashes, we used to have one or two meetings each year and they were all great fun. Maybe we'll be able to start them up again before too long.

Nuthatches aren't too common in Scotland, but can be found in isolated pockets in the Glasgow/Edinburgh areas and further south in the Borders (I saw one at The Hirsel back in 2016). We've actually got one now in this area that's been around for a couple of years. I finally found him just before the New Year. I don't know if there's a pair yet.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Guitarman and a warm welcome from all the Staff and Moderators.

All things Scottish can be found here. Keep an eye on threads titled Scottish Bashes, we used to have one or two meetings each year and they were all great fun. Maybe we'll be able to start them up again before too long.

Nuthatches aren't too common in Scotland, but can be found in isolated pockets in the Glasgow/Edinburgh areas and further south in the Borders (I saw one at The Hirsel back in 2016). We've actually got one now in this area that's been around for a couple of years. I finally found him just before the New Year. I don't know if there's a pair yet.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Hi Delia,
Thank you very much for your kind invite. We get Nuthatches in our garden on a regular basis only ever seen a pair on a few occasions.
Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back