• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can Currawongs (or birds in general) have phantom pregnancies? (2 Viewers)

abuzzi

Australia
Hi,

We have a currawong who spent over 2 weeks building a nest in the tree next to our balcony. It's been quite an honor being able to witness firsthand / up close the persisting process of getting a single twig to balance on a branch, and eventually build it into a nest.
Very satisfying to watch.

Accordingly, I've become quite vested in checking in numerous times a day to quietly observe mother nature at its best.

Unfortunately, this has brought the presence of a very ugly predator. 5 Adult Channel-Billed Cuckoo. The largest of all parasitic birds in Australia.
I'd never seen one before let alone up close, and their whole group tactics and savagery are very difficult to observe.

Thankfully I haven't witnessed them be quick enough to get the nest unoccupied / lay their own eggs in the nest, however aside from this fact - since their appearance, the currawongs never stay in their nest now.

Sometimes the pair sit in branches quite away from the nest ensuring the Cuckoos don't return. Some days they don't return at all.
This leads me to wonder if perhaps the currawong had the equivalent of a phantom pregnancy. I know birds don't get pregnant, but similar concepts relating to producing eggs - is this possible in the bird world?

Very interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Al

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back