• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can we hope for a SFL x30 or x32 in the future? (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
With the new SFL x40 models coming out, and hopefully being as good as the first impressions suggest, it is tempting to speculate how a smaller model in the x30/32 range would fare. I know that Swarovski x30 models are quite popular with Swaro afficionados. But those models come with some features I don't like. On the other hand, Zeiss had a very much praised FL x32 for a long time. With the SF x32 Zeiss had not really provided a replacement as the new features had led to a considerably larger model. The new SFL is decidedly larger as well but a great way to reduce the bulk of a x42 model. We still own - and it is still my wife's standard model - a Zeiss Victory I 10x40, and the difference between her 10x40 and my FL 10x42 is minimal in normal use. In fact the main irritation for me comes from the fact that Zeiss had originally deviated from the customary focussing direction.

So both the SF and the SFL are not optimally attractive size-wise if you look for a small model that still exceeds the x25 limitations. While the x32 FL is still a very good model, it broke the deal for me when Zeiss had switched to the red coating. So a small SFL with its new features would most likely become a very attractive new compact model in either x30 or x32. Particularly so, if the close focus could also be in the range of 1.5 meters. And of course, sufficient eye-relief for glasses wearers would have to be a must as well.

Last edited:
I guess you are asking for a 30/32mm model with a length similar to that of the FL8x32 i.e.116mm. SFL8x40 is the same length as Swaro's NL 8x32 (144mm) and also the same weight (640g) so is already compact, but there is no escaping the bulk caused by those 40mm objectives. I would have thought there is room in the market for an SFL 30mm (32mm would perhaps not be different enough from 40mm) and brands tend to launch 42mm first and then 32s later, so we will just have to wait and see whether and SFL 30 will come along.

Lee

It's strange, so many people have been switching to 32mm models in recent years (at 8x anyway) and yet the choices just seem to diminish. SLC 30 is ancient history, EL 32 now also discontinued, and FL 32... so now we have only SF or NL (both unusually large), or UV (not suitable for all eyeglasses). There is a clear opportunity here, which Zeiss and Swaro have turned up their noses at... so perhaps a Noctivid at last?

Hello,

Could an 8x30/32 SFL be sufficiently different from a Conquest 8x32. It seems to be that the 8x32SF already is a big step above the Conquest, so the question is aside from price how could an 8x32SFL find a place in the Zeiss lineup. Perhaps a larger FOV, if possible, would be a selling point.

Stay safe,
Arthur

It's strange, so many people have been switching to 32mm models in recent years (at 8x anyway) and yet the choices just seem to diminish. SLC 30 is ancient history, EL 32 now also discontinued, and FL 32... so now we have only SF or NL (both unusually large), or UV (not suitable for all eyeglasses). There is a clear opportunity here, which Zeiss and Swaro have turned up their noses at... so perhaps a Noctivid at last?
Don't forget Conquest HD 8x32.

Lee

I think they did a 40 just to avoid adding yet another 32.

My guess is that it’s very unlikely.
Well possible, but a 40 definitely is a different ball-park. Still, a compact alpha or alike with a noticeable weight saving seems to fill another niche than a Conquest 32.

Same here! There is now a bunch of very nice mide-range 8x30/32 with very wide FOV available from Nikon, Kite, Opticron and others. I really like this format and it would be great to have some options for this format in the top league.

I really like the view of SF or NL 8x32, but I find it hard to rationalise a switch to these, as they are even larger as my current 8x42 (Ultravid).

Happy Habicht 8x30 user here ;)

But i agree there is a clear opportunity for Zeiss & Swaro, but for me personally owning a Leica UVHD 8x32 as well I’m complete with what i have.

What I would really like is a lightweight, high quality 7x30 or even a 6x30 with 60 degrees AFOV. Steady views even without a stabiliser. And as I almost always carry a scope, I often don't need more magnification. If I do, I'll take the Canon anyway.

Hermann

What I would really like is a lightweight, high quality 7x30 or even a 6x30 with 60 degrees AFOV. Steady views even without a stabiliser. And as I almost always carry a scope, I often don't need more magnification. If I do, I'll take the Canon anyway.

Hermann
This!
I do think the Retrovid 7X35 DOES answer the call here pretty good. I'm kind of surprised that more DON'T purchase one.

Make it nitrogen purged and armour where leather sits. I mean, what use is a birding bino if you only can use it in warm weather?Add a focuser that is NOT hand shredding metal.... and then you have a perfect bin.
I could not say more. Or upgrade the lovely and compact 8x32 Ultravid to have more eye-relief and slightly improved optics.

Make it nitrogen purged and armour where leather sits. I mean, what use is a birding bino if you only can use it in warm weather?Add a focuser that is NOT hand shredding metal.... and then you have a perfect bin.
Oh it's not that bad! LOL. The focuser is REALLY not that bad at all and the feel and mechanism is second to none. Before I bought one I was concerned about the same thing...it a non-issue. I wouldn't mind a little armoring here and there and it WOULD be comforting to know it was "water-proof." I DO have to wonder if it would lessen some the the things I really like about it.

An interesting story I thought... We did a recent bird count over an area of a National Forest here. Each leader of which I was one, had 3-4 other birders with us. I had the Trinovid 7X35 and a MHG 8X30 with me. After a little while into the count I told each person with me to give me their binocular and for them to use the ones I had. They all preferred the Trinovid in jaw-dropping fashion.

9B73F7EA-169A-4BE4-B6C2-1B4C2A002CE5_1_201_a.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back