• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you add Black Swan to a UK List? (1 Viewer)

claire78

I swa a Black Swan yesterday 'in the wild' with a large group of Mute Swans and geese. I know it's not a UK species but can you add it to a UK List? Or do I simply ignore it?!? Technically it was out their living it rough in the wild, even though it may have started life in a collection somewhere!!!
CLaire

Hi Claire,

As Steve says, it is not yet accepted by the BOU so can't be ticked (assuming that you want to stay strictly in line with their list..)

There seems to be quite a few of these about, and I've seen several broods of young over the years, so there is the possibility that one day they will be adjudged to have reached a self-sustaining population and the BOU will accept them.

When this happens, you can then retrospectively add them to your list - this is known as an 'armchair tick'!

Wacky eh!..... Ruby

You may as well add it to your list. People tick anything on here regardless of what status it holds on the official lists. And if you comment on it you get the 'List police' accusations! I agree with Ruby above though. Black Swan will probably have the same credentials as, say, Ring-necked Parakeet. I'm sitting firmly in my armchair!!

Hi Claire,

As Steve says, it is not yet accepted by the BOU so can't be ticked (assuming that you want to stay strictly in line with their list..)

When this happens, you can then retrospectively add them to your list - this is known as an 'armchair tick'!

Wacky eh!..... Ruby

I don't think it would be a case of ticking retrospectively: if you are that bothered by officialdom then you would only tick established escapes from the date of the decision.

Anyway, your county recorder will probably be keeping a database of escaped species and it is worth sending the record in along with all those of wild birds.

Steve

Anyway, your county recorder will probably be keeping a database of escaped species and it is worth sending the record in along with all those of wild birds.

Steve

Thanks Steve - I submit all my records on birdtrack and it has Black Swan on there so I assume someone is monitoring them across the UK. And I have added it to my UK and life list as yah boo to the official list - I'm going to have my list which can contain what I see!

Thanks everyone for your comments. At least I now understand the term 'armchair tick' too!
CLaire
:bounce:

Is this still the case please?

Saw at least one Black Swan at Slapton on Wednesday (likely two but on separate occasions a couple of minutes apart but with more than swimming distance between them.
They aren't in my excel spreadsheet (cant remember where i got that from) - i also dont have bearded vulture so added that myself even though i missed it twice and never actually got to see it last year

thanks in advance

Black Swan is (still) not on the British list. So, most British birders would not tick it. However as always it’s “your list, your rules”

Cheers

James

I check the German sightings daily on ornitho. de; a couple of days ago someone had proudly listed a sighting of two peacocks. Location: a zoo 😂

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back