• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 450D + Skywatcher 80ED (2 Viewers)

I could save up till i die for a 300-800 Sigma and still wouldnt be anywhere near to having enough money ;)
Well i did see one today for 2000£ but it was a nikon mount.
But i hope that il dont have to buy one, i think that when the light returns in the spring then the SW setup will pay of...:smoke:

Last edited:
From images I've seen I'd say IQ with the Skywatcher is better than the Sigma 300-800. Plus the Sigma with camera and tripod weighs in at a hefty 30lbs. All you really gain for all that money is the auto focus and a load of weight so get practising wit the SW. :t:

Paul.

Will do but first this dull weather have to go, its snowing at the moment and i am really looking forward to the spring.
Paul do u have any comment on the bad DOI conversion i did? (post 252)

I must have missed that post. What sort of glue have you used and can it be taken off? I didn't glue mine into the Canon macro tube as there was no need. When the tube was screwed together it held the TC in place. If you can't get it apart it shouldn't hurt at all having it slightly off line.

Paul.

Ok i can prob take it apart, i dident file down the base plate couplings like u did i just flipt it over and then it fit but it was a little lose thats why i used the glue (speed glue)
I will not use the 2x before i have been able to (master) use the SW at prime and then with 1.4X.

Completely dull and overcast here today but the images still come out well with the Kenko 1.4X. Definitely think I will get the 3X Kenko now. Seen some images on Flickr with it stacked with the 1.4X and you would never know.

Paul.

Attachments

• Robin4.jpg
    Robin4.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Robin5.jpg
    Robin5.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 110
The robin is excellent Paul by the way

Just looked at Diego's pics and he seems to have it nailed too.

Better keep on trying

One from today with the scope on its own, no extra magnification. Range was only 6m and photo is mostly uncropped. Quite lucky the bird came and settled right in front of me and didn't seem too bothered or maybe didn't even notice I was there.

Paul.

Attachments

• Blue-Tit.jpg
    Blue-Tit.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 105
The Blue Tits near you must be tame. The one's in my garden dont sit still for a second.

Love feather detail !

I try and keep fairly well hidden when I'm using the scope and that way you can get some good close ups. The Robins are the most curious though and they will come within a few feet. I have a Blackbird too that will sit and watch me for ages just a few meters away. This Blue Tit was almost too close for my 75mm extension tube. I had top hand hold the camera at the back of the extension tube to get focus while my other hand guided and focused the scope.

Paul.

Some more shots - the sun came out today , bloody miracle ;)

Still not 100% happy , but getting better. Its amazing how a bit of sun helps with IQ.

The head shot of the pigeon is 100% crop.

All at 600mm / No Tripod but braced with window frame / No remote release. My EXIF seems to be missing too, so now have no idea of ISO / SS

Attachments

• W.Pigeon.jpg
    W.Pigeon.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Pigeon100.jpg
    Pigeon100.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Robin.jpg
    Robin.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Robin2.jpg
    Robin2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 79
  • Robin3.jpg
    Robin3.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 77
You're going to hate me but they've all suffered again in the PP. The 100% crop especially shows smearing of all the feather detail and lots of tiny bright single pixels dotted all over. I think because in general the eye is sharp then I'm sure the images have a lot more detail in them than is showing here.

Paul.

:king:

I opend all RAWs with DPP first then transferred to CS4 as TIFFs, then saved as JPGs. I've totally avoided using ACR, like before, as this was appearing to be the guilty party

What the hell is going on ? :C

Could you upload the 1st Woodpigeon and the 2nd Robin RAW files to that site where you posted them before and I'll have a look at them. I have Photoshop CS2 with ACR and I should be able to open the Canon 40D images in that. If not I can convert them to DNG and they will then open in ACR. I'll do a comparison with ACR and Adobe Lightroom and see what the difference is.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back