• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 60D (1 Viewer)

Maybe, the people who didn't upgrade from 40/50d to a 7d were put of by such a huge megapixel count, and they wanted to wait and see what happened? But now, these people who may have been cautious of that, will see the 60d (having been convinced by 7d's performance- i certainly have, but no money!) and upgrade to the 60d. Does that make sense? Maybe a nice price drop or a free lens offer by Christmas time, making it a more viable player canons line up. I look forward to reading reviews of the 60d.

To me, the main issue is that the Pentax K-x has shown that a sensor with much better high ISO performance can be used at relatively low cost & Canon have ignored this.

To me, the main issue is that the Pentax K-x has shown that a sensor with much better high ISO performance can be used at relatively low cost & Canon have ignored this.
What do you base that conclusion on?

The 7D's high ISO noise performance is superb, and the 60D has essentially the same sensor.

Oh - and while Roy C and I have often not seen eye to eye over various things, I don't think you're in any position, after 117 posts, to question the legitimacy of the presence on here of someone who has contributed something approaching 11,000 posts, which - even if (say) 90% weren't helpful to anyone - would still leave 1100 valuable contributions: nearly ten times the value you've provided.

Last edited:
Foolish me. I thought this was a dialog.

10,000+ posts and this reductive reply? Interesting.
Roy's comment is perfectly understandable: there's only so many times that you can offer what you believe to be good advice and have it thrown back in your face before you come to the conclusion that there's no point trying, or in worrying about what others do.

Believe me, I rarely bother visiting BF any more, for exactly the same reason.

What do you base that conclusion on?

The 7D's high ISO noise performance is superb, and the 60D has essentially the same sensor.

Oh - and while Roy C and I have often not seen eye to eye over various things, I don't think you're in any position, after 117 posts, to question the legitimacy of the presence on here of someone who has contributed something approaching 11,000 posts, which - even if (say) 90% weren't helpful to anyone - would still leave 1100 valuable contributions: nearly ten times the value you've provided.
I have a 50D & a K-x & the high ISO performance is far superior. In the reviews I have read, the K-x is noted as the equal of any DSLR at any price. I don't know about the 7D.

My response to Roy C's post was withdrawn when I realised how it was being interpreted (if you would like to check).

It was intended as a humorous comment on why he would want to be a member but, as I have learned, this is unwise when there is aggro flying around (& the risk carries on after you have removed the original post).

I would never query anyone's legitimacy to belong here.

Roy's comment is perfectly understandable: there's only so many times that you can offer what you believe to be good advice and have it thrown back in your face before you come to the conclusion that there's no point trying, or in worrying about what others do.

Believe me, I rarely bother visiting BF any more, for exactly the same reason.

Sorry, but I'm just not seeing the offense. It reads like there's history here that I'm not privy to.

Cheers,
Kevin

Last edited:
Sorry, but I'm just not seeing the offense. It reads like there's history here that I'm not privy to.

Cheers,
Kevin
For what it is worth Kevin my post was certainly not a reply to the post you made - when I decided to reply to the 'Paul G' your post was not even there so I had not even seen it. As it happens in the five or six minutes between me composing and posting you had posted.If I was referring to anything you said I would certainly have quoted you.
The only thing I did was to pass on my experience of MA without giving any advise whatsoever as to what other should do. The next thing I knew you were assuming I had replied to your posting. These days I try to keep to facts, figures and personal experiences without getting involved in other peoples thoughts and advice.

edit: maybe I should not have put in the word 'wasted' but that is how I saw it.

Last edited:
Back on topic.

So is anyone here going for a 60D? It has weather seal (better then on the 50D), good movie function, better screen, good metering, much better sensor then the 50D. With a lower price I would be tempted but at the moment the 7D is too close priced.

I have a 50D and if I wanted to change it would be for a 7D not the 60D which to me would seem a backward step. Strikes me it is just a 550d on steroids.

As to other points I did an MFA on my 100-400 and noticed the difference.

A forum can be spoilt by misunderstandings so I think it would be helpful if toys were put back in the pram. Life is too short to spend time like that far better spent out there snapping or at home processing.

On Warehouse the 7D is only £90 dearer. I know which I would buy if I had the money.

It seems like a no brainer really, I just wonder how many they will sell of the 60d at that price, I think it must drop considerably before they sell it in quantity, you can get a 7d in HK for £960 with 32GB card free delivery maybe abit of import charges ?

It seems like a no brainer really, I just wonder how many they will sell of the 60d at that price, I think it must drop considerably before they sell it in quantity, you can get a 7d in HK for £960 with 32GB card free delivery maybe abit of import charges ?

Terry, currently "a bit of import charges" is 17.5 % if you have to pay the tax. The delivery companies collect it when you receive the goods.

If you shop through Topcashback.co.uk you will get 3% of the price refunded from W.E. so that knocks off another £30.
I know were I would prefer to go back to if I had to. The 7D seemed to have enough problems to not want to buy abroad if I were a Canon purchaser .

It seems like a no brainer really, I just wonder how many they will sell of the 60d at that price

As long as it's more than zero that's enough. They know that there are some people out there who will pay the RRP just to have the newest toy on the block. As soon as those people have finished buying (and I really don't think it'll be very long at all) the price will drop to something more realistic.

Terry, currently "a bit of import charges" is 17.5 % if you have to pay the tax. The delivery companies collect it when you receive the goods.

If you shop through Topcashback.co.uk you will get 3% of the price refunded from W.E. so that knocks off another £30.
I know were I would prefer to go back to if I had to. The 7D seemed to have enough problems to not want to buy abroad if I were a Canon purchaser .

I appreciate that alot of people don't like buying abroad for whatever reason. I bought my 7d from HK when it 1st came out and paid about the same price they are now selling in the UK, I have not had any problems with my 7d, if I did the company I bought it off is a very big player on the Internet, I think you only need to send it to there UK address than they handle it from there. I only want to pay the lowest price I can for my camera equipment, I don't care if it comes from Timbuktu as long as its cheaper |:d|

I have to say, I actually don't really like the articulating lcd. It seems like a gimmick that doesn't really belong on a dslr. However, I won't need to worry about that, because a 7D will be $500 by the time I can afford a new camera body;)

I have to say, I actually don't really like the articulating lcd

Now the funny thing here is the 60d LCD screen is better than 7d screen, 60d is 1040,000 LCD dots and the 7d screen is 920,000 and Canon have not made a smaller screen its 3" so there is no compromise for a articulating screen, so you get that for free, I for one really do like this addition on a camera for shooting low flowers/Macro also in hides so you don't have to crouch down to look in the viewfinder/liveview, its abit like video don't like it don't use use it. I say bring on all the new features that you can on a camera to make things easier to make a better image and make your life easier.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back