• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 8d (1 Viewer)

Here are some things I would like to see in order of importance:

In-body Image Stabilization. Come on Canon, Pentax, Sony and Olympus have this in their bodies--don't be left behind! I realize IS in the lens is better but for old lenses or those wide to normal L zooms this would be a real plus. If the lens has IS, the body IS would just turn off. Not too hard.

Autofocus on f/8. A lot of us want to use teleconverters on our telephotos. Get the autofocus to work if even slowly.

Better ISO performance. This is obvious.

A row of buttons for custom functions. Scrolling through menus is too slow in the field. For example I wish I could program a button that would switch between spot and evaluative metering instantly.

Specified button for mirror lock-up. So annoying to constantly go to the menu.

More than 19 AF points. I would expect they will save this feature for their pro-bodies unfortunately.

21 megapixels. More is better if there is no downgrade in ISO performance. I still feel my 7D is sensor rather lens limited when using my 400mm DO.

3/8 inch tripod socket in addition to the 1/4 inch socket. A little more secure in my opinion.

Autofocus on f/8. A lot of us want to use teleconverters on our telephotos. Get the autofocus to work if even slowly.

I think nearly everyone on this forum that has a 7d would like to see this on the 8d APS-C even if the price has to go up a bit more, there would be alot of takers that don't have the big lens and the big camera.

It's not just the us amateurs who want better autofocus at f/8. Imagine you have the 800mm f/5.6 and Canon ID Mark IV and want to use 1.4x teleconverter. It will only autofocus at the center focus point. I think most people would want all focus points to work.

I think nearly everyone on this forum that has a 7d would like to see this on the 8d APS-C even if the price has to go up a bit more, there would be alot of takers that don't have the big lens and the big camera.
I'm not totally sure about this, but I thought the reason for the f5.6 limit was because the AF sensor is too small in an APS-C body to work with less light.

I'm not totally sure about this, but I thought the reason for the f5.6 limit was because the AF sensor is too small in an APS-C body to work with less light.

I think that an unofficial reason is that AF with f8 sets the 1D-series apart from the pack. Which is one reason I do not think that we will see that in a hypothetical 8D, after all it's not present in 5D2 which has a full size sensor.

Thomas

I like the in-built GPS bit..........love gadget bits
GPS would be a significant hit on the battery life.
Also, it takes a couple of minutes to get a position if it's not been used recently, so someone who turned on, took picture, turned off could end up with a lot of missing locations.

I have never seen this from Canon but I have also thought this to be a reason why you may not get f8 AF on APS-C.

I have never seen this from Canon but I have also thought this to be a reason why you may not get f8 AF on APS-C.

I believe it's available on Nikon's range of cameras in that there's no restriction, but how well it autofocuses is another matter (I've never tried by the way).

Unless there is completely different principles of function in play (and there may well be) then P&S cameras should not be able to AF at all (their sensor is even smaller)

Niels

Unless there is completely different principles of function in play (and there may well be) then P&S cameras should not be able to AF at all (their sensor is even smaller)

Niels

There is a different principle. P&S cameras use the recording sensor to do contrast-based AF. Slow, but accurate even with lower light. DSLRs use a separate, phase-difference sensor. Much faster but does need more light.

Which makes me wonder if my camera will do contrast-based AF at f8 in live mode?

I have come to the conclusion that the new camera will be called 9d as there have been no even numbers before. When before Xmas 2010 ?

A genuine Canon spare battery for under £25, one touch focus change for BIF (expanded) to static objects (spot).

How about a revolutionary step and having a round sensor? The image from the lens is round and a round sensor would remove the need to twist the camera through 90° to get those tall shots. It would help with oval shaped picture etc etc

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back