• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon converters (1 Viewer)

I imagine the mark 111 converted have been tried and tested by a few folk now - any feedback on differences?

Still on the hunt for a 2x (mk11) or better....

Marcus
My 1.4 is the MkIII and I'm very happy with it, as for a comparison with the MkII not too sure I can see a noticeable difference. As I am kitting up for retirement decided I'd get the latest version. The WTE shots taken on Mull were with the MkIII combined with the MkII 70-200 and from what I have rad they are optimised to these new lens versions. Whether it makes a difference I don't know, suffice to say I am happy with it (and the lens). I don't crop heavily that may impact image quality I guess.

Cheers

Phil;

Attachments

• wte_2.jpg
    wte_2.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 172
Like other owners of the Mk3 converters I sold my 2 x Mk2 to fund my Mk3! I cannot do direct comparisons, but I can say that I took a couple of shots of a Grebe (just to try it) and they are better than anything I got from the Mk2 - might just have been the the day but from what little I have seen so far I am happy.

Hi Marcus,
Sorry if this is a duplicate post but had internet problem earlier :)
I have tried the Mk2, 1.4x and 2x, and the Mk3, 1.4x and 2x.
I have tried all the converters with a number of lenses and bodies.
Lenses were EF70-200f4, EF300f4LIS, EF300f2.8LIS and EF500f4LIS.
Bodies used were 50D, Mk3 and Mk4.
The Mk3 1.4x I found no quicker/sharper than the Mk2, hence it has now been sold.
The Mk3 2x I found a big improvement on the Mk2.
AF is a lot quicker, you can now AF on birds IF, the Mk2 often needed to be manually focused first then the lenses would lock on.
If you have an outline in the viewfinder with the Mk3 it will AF.
You cannot stack Mk3 converters I found, which is needed for rare bird ID's in some of the area's I take photos.
Obviously you do not keep AF with the 50D and most lens, but the Mk3 MF images do seem on par if not better than the Mk2.
I am looking forward to trying out a EF300f2.8LISMk2 with the 2xMk3 and seeing if its as good as they say.
Until then I will keep my Mk2, 1.4x and 2x and also the Mk3, 2x.
As for the Mk3, 1.4x, try before you buy, I wish I had......

Clive

Thanks Clive, I opted for the mkii 2x. I only use it on the 300 f2.8 and found it a good combo. £400 is too much for a converter for me.

Look forward to seeing your results.
Marcus

Nice one Clive, I look forward to seeing the results of your mkiii 2x tests with the 300 f2.8.
I currently use the Mkii 2x with this lens and it's a good combo, albeit with slow focus issues to overcome.
If the mkiii 2x ix a noticable improvement then I would get one, I suppose the extra cost is where the law of diminishing returns applies.
Best regards.

Hi Marcus,
Sorry if this is a duplicate post but had internet problem earlier :)
I have tried the Mk2, 1.4x and 2x, and the Mk3, 1.4x and 2x.
I have tried all the converters with a number of lenses and bodies.
Lenses were EF70-200f4, EF300f4LIS, EF300f2.8LIS and EF500f4LIS.
Bodies used were 50D, Mk3 and Mk4.
The Mk3 1.4x I found no quicker/sharper than the Mk2, hence it has now been sold.
The Mk3 2x I found a big improvement on the Mk2.
AF is a lot quicker, you can now AF on birds IF, the Mk2 often needed to be manually focused first then the lenses would lock on.
If you have an outline in the viewfinder with the Mk3 it will AF.
You cannot stack Mk3 converters I found, which is needed for rare bird ID's in some of the area's I take photos.
Obviously you do not keep AF with the 50D and most lens, but the Mk3 MF images do seem on par if not better than the Mk2.
I am looking forward to trying out a EF300f2.8LISMk2 with the 2xMk3 and seeing if its as good as they say.
Until then I will keep my Mk2, 1.4x and 2x and also the Mk3, 2x.
As for the Mk3, 1.4x, try before you buy, I wish I had......

Clive

I read that the 1.4 Mk3 was little, if any, improvement over the Mk2. However I agree with you that the 2x Mk3 is a significant improvement - though it's expensive! Got mine from Kerso at a reasonable price.

I think given the price and that I still like to stack my converters I won't be tempted. (Famous last words!)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back