• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon IS 10x30 v. Canon IS 10x42 L (1 Viewer)

Update - I traded the 10x42. Seems rash, I know, but I simply can´t get on with a bino-harness, I find it far too restrictive. I like to be able to take my binos on and off, sometimes hold them in my hand as I walk, etc. The Canon 10x42L gave me the most stunning views I´ve seen, and Kimmo is right - from a boat, they were amazing (I took them to Cape Clear island and used them on the ferry). However, it was clear that as well as crystal-clear stablised views, they were also going to give me curvature of the spine;). I can understand taking a pair of 15x50 IS in a shoulder-bag, if they replace a scope, but the 10x won´t replace a scope. As I said somewhere else, it´s a real pity that Canon never made either the 15x50IS, or the 10x30IS, with L-series glass. They would be well worth the investment.

Well, that was quick, even for you ;)

But on a more serious note, I totally understand your reasons. I don't like a bino harness either, have tried several (3) which relieved the weight but were - as you say - restrictive. I use the 18x50 IS's either on a long strap, slung across the body, or without a neckstrap in a bag slung the same way. The 18x50's make sense because they replace a scope reasonably well.
My spine has already developed a nice curve, due to 40+ years of carrying too heavy bins around my neck.

I looked at the 18x50's today, and wondered if the screw thread underneath might be useful to fix some sort of attachment hook, which clips the bins on a belt, while wearing them around the neck, so the neck muscles are relieved.
I'm no engineer, and I have great idea's that I can't carry out ( more often than I'd like to admit ), but if I could find something to fix underneath that would work I'd be happy to share it with the members of BF.
The obvious obstacle would be of course, that access to the battery compartment is totally blocked with a hooking device installed in the screw thread, so it would have to be a wide, U-shaped hook, which would of course get in the way of one's thumbs when holding the binocular. So the "thumbs-up" grip would have to be used holding the binoculars to the eyes, then it could all be effective.
I'm just daydreaming, now. Maybe daydreaming in a hardware store with a zillion inexplicably shaped little thingies, will let me see a contraption in my mind's eye that will solve all weight problems of the 18x50's forever.

Hooray, I'm going to the hardware store instead of the optics store for a change!

Have a nice weekend,

Ronald

I looked at the 18x50's today, and wondered if the screw thread underneath might be useful to fix some sort of attachment hook, which clips the bins on a belt, while wearing them around the neck, so the neck muscles are relieved.

I've used my SunSniper camera strap as a shoulder bandolier for my 18x50. The connector is small enough to clear the battery door too. I am sure the cheaper BlackRapid strap would work the same.

Ronald,
If you screwed a quick release plate into the Canon attachment point, you would have a fine basis for a belt attachment clip in.
Finding the matching belt clip is the problem, but surely that could be cobbled together from some cast off tripod head.

I've used my SunSniper camera strap as a shoulder bandolier for my 18x50. The connector is small enough to clear the battery door too. I am sure the cheaper BlackRapid strap would work the same.

Yes, but what's the advantage over a shoulder strap connected to the regular bin eyelets?
Or is it any easier to carry the 18x's this way?

I tried connecting a long strap as well as a short strap to the bins simultaneously, so I'd have a choice instantly between neck strap and bandoleer strap, but though it worked reasonably well, there's always one strap getting in the way somehow.

It's my intention to use the screw thread since it's there in the first place, but in a way that defies logic and has an astounding result! :smoke:

Best regards,

Ronald

Ronald,
If you screwed a quick release plate into the Canon attachment point, you would have a fine basis for a belt attachment clip in.
Finding the matching belt clip is the problem, but surely that could be cobbled together from some cast off tripod head.

A quick release plate would be a good basis, but as you say, it's the receiving end that will be a problem. I haven't got a tripod head to demolish right now, but I envision the idea clearly. Something to click the QR plate into, worn on a belt... hm...

The QR plate has to be able to be screwed off the bins easily, if refreshing of the batteries is needed. So no coin slot types, but one with a lever kind of screw inserter. If you know what I mean.

BTW, the link you gave for the bino manager worked OK, but the firm ( ATVaccessoryoutlet ) doesn't have this item in stock anymore, that is what they tell me when I open the link.

For the time being, my 18x50's are on a broad thick-padded Op/Tech neckstrap, and with several collars from sweaters and coat, it's actually quite bearable. So this gives me time to contemplate.

Thanks for the good suggestion, etudiant!

Best regards,

Ronald

I'm the person that did the trade with Sancho and they arrived today. First impression is that they ARE big and heavy but that the IS works really well. I've used a harness for the past 3 1/2 years anyway so that's not an issue. What could be more of a problem for me is that due to medication I take I have a bit of muscle wastage and actually holding them to my eyes could become a problem. I'm going to use them for a couple of weeks and then make up my mind whether to keep them or my Ultravid 10x32s

Search this forum for Kimmo's "finstick" solution. Basically just a short monopod that lets you support the bino at the waist.

The Canon 10 x 42 should work well on a Finn Stick or monopod with a ball head. I read somewhere in this Canon forum that one can lock the IS into the "On" position rather than holding the IS button down as is required on the 10 x 30.
Bob

The "finnstick" is great for prolonged viewing where it really takes a lot of the arm fatigue away, but it does not make carrying the binocular easier.

Personally, I have not had any trouble carrying the 15x50 or the 10x42 with a wide neoprene strap in just the normal way, although for the 15x50 I found the supplied strap woefully inadequate and even the much better strap of the 10x42 is borderline as far as providing enough comfort. For the bigger Canon, I used a Fujinon neoprene strap that was made for the 7x50 FMTR-CSX, and will probably transfer that strap to the 10x42 now.

I'm doubtful about the idea of fastening the binocular with a clip to the belt, since a brick of > 1kg bending your belt does not sound like the pinnacle of comfort. But it (hopefully) doesn't hurt to try.

Kimmo

The Canon 10x42 IS stays on for 5 minutes or until the binocs are let hang down again, whichever is shorter.
The idea of a belt clip carry worked well for pistols. The Sam Browne belt adds an over the opposite shoulder strap to keep the belt from sagging under the weight. That setup would work fine for a heavy glass.
However, if the tripod fitting is used for a quick release plate, the finnstick would need a clip fitting on it as well, which adds weight and bulk.
Anyone have a better idea?

The Canon 10x42 IS stays on for 5 minutes or until the binocs are let hang down again, whichever is shorter.
The idea of a belt clip carry worked well for pistols. The Sam Browne belt adds an over the opposite shoulder strap to keep the belt from sagging under the weight. That setup would work fine for a heavy glass.
However, if the tripod fitting is used for a quick release plate, the finnstick would need a clip fitting on it as well, which adds weight and bulk.
Anyone have a better idea?

I don't use a Finnstick, for prolonged viewing I sit down on a small stool, so the clip-thingy would be the only thing that has to fit into the screw thread of the bins.

But for others, it could be a problem. No better idea, I'm afraid...

Best regards,

Ronald

The finn stick idea is good for those who need assistance in supporting heavy Canon IS bins for long periods, as AlexB above mentioned might be a problem for him. For a more comfortable way just to carry a Canon IS bino while tramping about, I think the SunSniper and BlackRapid bandolier-type straps I mentioned is superior to a harness or an extra large/thick neoprene-like Optech.

I think the harness I use will make carrying the Canons fairly easy, it's holding them to my eyes for any length of time that could be a problem, I can't seem to find details of the finn stick, can someone point me in the right direction. The other problem I've got is that I'm also carrying a Nikon D300 and 80-400mm nikkor lens over my shoulder at the same time so the harness is essential. The sheer bulk of the Canons might also prove problematic. Some nice dry weather would help to let me try them out together

Actually carrying a dslr w/tele lens in addition to the Canon is even more reason to look at the SunSniper or BlackRapid products. Both have straps that will carry multiple devices in a bandolier style. Far easier on the shoulders and with quick access.

The finn stick idea is good for those who need assistance in supporting heavy Canon IS bins for long periods, as AlexB above mentioned might be a problem for him. For a more comfortable way just to carry a Canon IS bino while tramping about, I think the SunSniper and BlackRapid bandolier-type straps I mentioned is superior to a harness or an extra large/thick neoprene-like Optech.

Rick, I googled the SunSniper and it shows a film how it is carried with a photocamera. How do the Canon 18x50's hang when attached to the SunSniper? Are they bouncing a lot, or do they hang flat against the hip?

The SunSniper is available here, I might order it, but I'd need to know whether it will be more comfortable than, say, a common shoulder/bandoleer strap.

Best regards,

Ronald

Ronald, that Spider gadget looks like complicated/heavy kludge when compared to the SunSniper/BlackRapid straps!

FYI, I am right handed so use the Sun-Sniper strap over my left shoulder. The Canon 18x50 likes to ride upside down, tripod mount up, with its left barrel parallel to and resting on my right hip. It is in the PERFECT position for me to grab it with my right hand and have my index finger naturally right on the IS button as I bring it up to my eyes. I don't feel they bounce around anymore than they do with a neckstrap or harness. You can also swing them around to the back if you need them out of the way.

Attachments

• IMG_4245.JPG
    IMG_4245.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Ronald, that Spider gadget looks like complicated/heavy kludge when compared to the SunSniper/BlackRapid straps!

FYI, I am right handed so use the Sun-Sniper strap over my left shoulder. The Canon 18x50 likes to ride upside down, tripod mount up, with its left barrel parallel to and resting on my right hip. It is in the PERFECT position for me to grab it with my right hand and have my index finger naturally right on the IS button as I bring it up to my eyes. I don't feel they bounce around anymore than they do with a neckstrap or harness. You can also swing them around to the back if you need them out of the way.

Hi Rick,

OK, thanks! Excellent info, and thanks for posting the photo of the 18x50's with SunSniper attached. This is going to work, I'm sure.
The Spiderholster is rather complicated/heavy, but so is the 18x50, so heavy gear needs heavy tools. But I'm not at all sure the 18's will hang more comfortable with the Spiderholster than with the SunSniper. The spike that attaches into the holster could be attached to the tripod mount of the 18x50's without the plate, ideally, so I'd have access to the battery compartment instantly and wouldn't have to screw off the entire plate first.
I don't even know in the first place if the plate would fit onto the 18x50's underside, since the bulging tubes would get in the way.

The belt is worn on summer clothing in the video; with several sweaters and coats in winter it's likely to slip down under the weight of the 18x50's.

The SunSniper seems the better solution.

Thanks and all the best,

Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back