• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Rebel Xt? (1 Viewer)

I have a 350D/Xt aswell as Other Dslr's and own that exact Lens and 1.4 Kenko Pro T.c.,
They Work great Together ... But the question is ... What would You be using It for?,
You buying it new aswell?,

If Your Buying It new then go for the Xti instead of the Xt ... Not much in price
difference and You get more on the Camera, Check It out ... You'll be suprised,
That setup Will get You the Standard Reach You'll need ... But You'll see that You'll
alway's want More Reach ... EveryOne does ;) ,
Good Luck and Take Care,
John,

If Your Buying It new then go for the Xti instead of the Xt ... Not much in price
difference and You get more on the Camera, Check It out ... You'll be suprised,
That setup Will get You the Standard Reach You'll need ... But You'll see that You'll
alway's want More Reach ... EveryOne does ;) ,
Good Luck and Take Care,
John,

I have had both the 350D and the 400D, and both are superb cameras. However, if I was starting from Scratch I would certainly go for the 400D. As I like to have two bodies, to save having to change lenses quickly, I am now selling the 350D, and replacing it with the new 40D, keeping of course the 400D. As for lenses the 70mm-300mm is an improvement on the old 75mm-300mm. Personally,I have the 70mm-200mm f4 L lens with the 1.4 converter.They make an excellent combination.

If you're going to purchase the 1.4x extender and your budget allows, you might wish to check out the new Sigma AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS lens. I bought it to replace my 18-55 kit lens and the 70-300 mid-range zoom, and have been very pleased with it (plus the Optical Stabilization is a nice additional bonus).

IMHO, the 2x teleconverter will not result in acceptable results with the EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III. You may be better off buying a used XT (check the used section at B&H Photo or search for "refurbished by Canon" at Adorama for prices as low as $375). For lenses, get the Canon 70-300 EF IS if you can afford it or a used super telephoto zoom (Tokina 80-400mm, Sigma 170-500mm, Tamron 200-500mm). If not, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG is a decent lens below $200.

Yes the LCD display on the 400D is larger and the AF sensor works better with fast lenses, but if you are going to use it with slow (e.g. f/5.6) telephoto lenses, 350D focuses as well, has basically the same viewfinder, and the sensor has slightly better sensitivity and slightly less noise.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back