• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon RF 600MM & 800MM with R3 Combo anyone else..? (1 Viewer)

I think it is time to back off. I do not feel it is right to go bashing other Birdforum members.
Niels

I know some people who have the R3 with 600mm F4 RF (with or without 1.4 and 2.0x), and they get great results. Daniele Occhiato is one of them.
It's a great piece of equipment in the hands of skilled photographers / birders like Daniele, that's for sure.
Just one example:
1691567951513.png
Talking to some of those 600mm RF users, they all say they prefer to use the 600mm with extenders and have more flexibility, compared to working with a 800mm RF that limits the use from e.g. huts.

I haven't come across any pictures taken with the Canon R3 + 800mm RF. It seems the 800RF is upgraded / has changed in many ways compared to the non-RF version (weight, optical design), so it's not just an 800mm with a mirrorless fit. But for most, the 800 RF and especialy 1200 RF is simply too expensive and too inflexible for practical use compared to the 60mm F4 + converters, and even those shots that benefit from a very long lens often get deteriorated due to air turbulence etc with such big distances between the subject and the photographer. Still, I know someone who used the 800mm non-RF a lot, and it is his favourite lens for bird photography. He admits he misses a lot of shots, but those that he gets framed and fit in the picture, are no-compromise and that's what he's after.

My main gripe with the long Canon RF lenses is the price. Nikon does far better with the relatively cheap (you could call them bargains) AND light PF lenses, and I am tempted to change from my current Canon set up to e.g. a 5000mm PF (but last I saw this lens still needs an adapter for Z bodies?).

I wonder though, while I applaud / encourage Nikon for applying the PF technology to more telelenses in their line up (and even introducing new focal lengths like the 800mm), this compared to Canon who can't seem to produce any DO optics for a reasonable price, I wonder if Nikon shouldn't have gone for the 800 PF F5.6 route instead of the 800 PF F6.3 and/or should have made a 600mm 5.6 PF instead of the 500mm 5.6 PF.
The PF technology facilitates more compact and low-weight lenses (2.3-2.4 kg for an 800mm...!), but they have gone a bit too far imho by compromising on the max. aperture in that 800mm, and the 500mm is still not very long for bird photography. A 600mm 5.6, priced around 4500-5000, would be ideal imho.

And while the Nikon now has a 800mm which is waaaaay less expensive compared to the Canon RF competition and thus very promising, the only picture I saw with that lens and the flagship Z9 body, was here on birdforum (in this recent topic) and I don't think it shows the full potential of this lens / body (see below). I have seen many pictures with the 500mm PF combined with Z9, and I have seen awesome pictures with Z9 + 600mm F4 (non-PF), so I reckon the 800 PF should be a killer lens... anyone on birdforum has this lens and can share some shots that show what this lens is really capable off?

1691568727813.png

Last edited:
F6589049-EF0C-4BE8-9C90-D8A52729CBA8_1_201_a.jpeg
The difference between the Canon RF800MM F/5.6 Lens and the Nikon 800MM F/5.6 DSLR Lens is weight and balance between these 2 lenses. They both cost almost exactly the same and both put out incredible snaps. I own 3 800MM Primes and my most used 800MM Prime is the new Nikon 800MM F/6.3 PF lens glued to one of my Z9's... This is a pic of that kit below..

622CD162-E9B7-44CF-888F-978F6D8D0EE7.jpeg

E62DC11E-751F-4E0F-9536-745524C9EFE2.jpeg
This is my typical Safari Travel Kit while in Sri lanka yearly and consists of the Nikon 500MM and 800MM PF Lenses with a Z9 and Nikon D850 , then my favorite of them all is my Nikon D5 and 600MM F/4 FLED. Yes this entire kit goes with me on safaris every time..

I've not owned any big lenses like that. They must be fun to use! But they also look so heavy, or unwieldy, at least. It must be a mission just to pack them into the car and go somewhere.

If the idea is to get fairly detailed pics with high magnification, but with a relative degree of portability, then something like a Nikon P1000 seemed like a good choice, for me, at least.

That said, I would love to have a go with a big 'camera cannon' like BulbMogul uses, one day!

I've not owned any big lenses like that. They must be fun to use! But they also look so heavy, or unwieldy, at least. It must be a mission just to pack them into the car and go somewhere.

If the idea is to get fairly detailed pics with high magnification, but with a relative degree of portability, then something like a Nikon P1000 seemed like a good choice, for me, at least.

That said, I would love to have a go with a big 'camera cannon' like BulbMogul uses, one day!
Yes it is quite a chore just to get everything packed in my vehicle and on top of that I need my beer cooler, bicycle and tripod, etc,etc,etc.... Please note I only do this while in SriLanka every year for years on end.

tempImagehZp2et.pngtempImageHf2LqM.png

Quite an impressive collection! Have you posted any photos of birds you've taken with this kit? Seriously. I'd love to see what this equipment is capable of.
Regarding the part of your reaction in bold, see post #14 in this topic:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back