• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (13 Viewers)

Robert,
For birds I would mostly be in A Mode with a -0.7 compensation ( for white birds -1.3 Mode ).
Neil

Neil, I find that interesting. When faced with a white bird (if it is the dominant exposure point) most cameras tend to underexpose, do you think this camera needs the extra -EV figure because it has a tendency to overexpose

Neil, I find that interesting. When faced with a white bird (if it is the dominant exposure point) most cameras tend to underexpose, do you think this camera needs the extra -EV figure because it has a tendency to overexpose

Bob,
You are right if the white bird is a major part of the frame or you are spot metering.
When I use Matrix Metering and if the white bird is 50% or less of the frame you will need to dial in a minus exposure value. Most of the time though I use Manual Exposure Mode to solve this problem.
Neil.

The SX50 is featured in today's Amazon UK "Black Friday" deals. Price and option to purchase at that price will be revealed at 12:59 today (lunchtime).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/deals-offer..._rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=338664007&pf_rd_i=161428031

Scroll to the right until you get to the right time period. Sometimes the deals sell out fast, so if interested you might need to be hovering over that item in advance when the time comes.

Attachments

• 20121119_101217_.JPG
    20121119_101217_.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 265
The SX50 is featured in today's Amazon UK "Black Friday" deals. Price and option to purchase at that price will be revealed at 12:59 today (lunchtime).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/deals-offer..._rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=338664007&pf_rd_i=161428031

Scroll to the right until you get to the right time period. Sometimes the deals sell out fast, so if interested you might need to be hovering over that item in advance when the time comes.
Price is £307.90 a good price (still more expensive than a well know HK importer thought which is £289).
All gone within a minute lol!

Last edited:
Could anyone please tell me something how this camera performs with small birds, birds in flight? I'm looking for fast AF and a good viewfinder to follow the object. IMO my Canon SX30is lacks this.

Can anyone tell me how the manual focus works on the SX50? I understand it is not a true manual 'twist the lens' type of focus. The camera seems to tick all the boxes of what I want to use alongside my SLR but having experienced a lot of frustration of the auto focus on bridge cameras finding a branch, leaf or anything except the bird I would like a usable manual option. Will this do it?

Hello Punta,
I'm not sure I understand you correctly: do you mean "take a look at another camera" or "look at other threads/websites"?

Sorry I meant to say have a look at other cameras, if you want BIF and fast focusing plus a decent view finder. The viewfinder is horrid compared to a DSLR.

Could anyone please tell me something how this camera performs with small birds, birds in flight? I'm looking for fast AF and a good viewfinder to follow the object. IMO my Canon SX30is lacks this.

I'd say it's pretty much the same as the SX 30. The only small birds in flight it could manage are say a flock of Starlings. Autofocus is way too slow. You can just about manage larger bids in flow flight such as Buzzards and Harriers but even they are not easy. The viewfinder is pretty good for a compact but not in the same league as a DSLR.

Can anyone tell me how the manual focus works on the SX50? I understand it is not a true manual 'twist the lens' type of focus. The camera seems to tick all the boxes of what I want to use alongside my SLR but having experienced a lot of frustration of the auto focus on bridge cameras finding a branch, leaf or anything except the bird I would like a usable manual option. Will this do it?

Manual focus is accessed through buttons on the back of the camera and takes a while to get focus spot on. Certainly not one of the better features of the camera. I'm sure they could have come up with a better way to operate the manual focus. It's one of the few things I don't like about the camera.

Autofocus is very good with several different modes, but it can struggle when there are things like branches in front of the bird. I had that problem this morning with a Sparrowhawk perched 3m back from some branches. I could see it in the viewfinder but not matter what I tried focus wouldn't lock on it. By the time I'd got onto it in manual focus it had flown! Admittedly the light levels were pretty low.

Manual focus is accessed through buttons on the back of the camera and takes a while to get focus spot on. Certainly not one of the better features of the camera. I'm sure they could have come up with a better way to operate the manual focus. It's one of the few things I don't like about the camera.

Autofocus is very good with several different modes, but it can struggle when there are things like branches in front of the bird. I had that problem this morning with a Sparrowhawk perched 3m back from some branches. I could see it in the viewfinder but not matter what I tried focus wouldn't lock on it. By the time I'd got onto it in manual focus it had flown! Admittedly the light levels were pretty low.

Thanks Ian. That's exactly the problem I have had with my Panasonic Lumix: good in all other respects (albeit dated now) but can't just twist the lens and focus in awakward conditions as you would with a DSLR, just as you describe with your Sparrowhawk. It seems the manufacturers are trying to be TOO clever!

OK so I'm seriously thinking of making the SX50 my xmas present however I have the SX40. The extra zoom and slightly higher burst HQ rate aside, can anyone who has both confirm that the 50 is an improvement over the 40?

I've read that auto focus is faster. Is that noticeable?
IS is said to be better but it's needed for the extra zoom.
The 50 will do RAW but I don't think I will likely care about that.

Aperture on the 50 is smaller (larger number) than the 40. Is that noticeable in low light or is the camera able to compensate for that and do as well in low light as can the 40?

Is it stupid to upgrade from the SX40 to the SX50?

And no I don't want a DSLR.

All opinions welcome.

I will wait on this answer too! I've been good saved my pennys and sold some stuff and can now buy, just the SX50. But I would be jumping up from the SX30. I could buy the SX40 though and save a good few dollars. So is the SX50 the one to have?

I will wait on this answer too! I've been good saved my pennys and sold some stuff and can now buy, just the SX50. But I would be jumping up from the SX30. I could buy the SX40 though and save a good few dollars. So is the SX50 the one to have?

If it matches the SX40 throughout the SX40s 35x zoom range and then offers a bit extra above 35x I would say go for the SX50.

I am also very interested in the responses to crazyfingers' post. I have a couple of slightly different but related questions.

The only digital camera I currently own is a sad little Nikon Coolpix L5 (ca. 2006)--definitely NOT adequate for bird photography! A decent DSLR with fast telephoto lens is WAAAYYY out of my reach for the forseeable future. My preliminary research suggests that the SX40 or SX50 are my best hope for getting some nice bird shots (without having to commit any felonies in pursuit of the goal!).

I'm pretty sure that in comparison to my current camera, I would be absolutely thrilled with either the SX40 OR the SX50. So my question is this: Given the similarity of the two models (and the sad state of my finances), is the SX50 really worth the extra $100-$200?

Also: is it true that the SX50 does not include a USB interface cable? Does this mean I'll need to buy a card reader? (Can anyone tell me the specific type of card reader needed, and its approximate cost?)

At this point, I'm leaning toward finding a really good deal on the SX40....but can anyone convince me that I should spring for the SX50?

I'm not super-knowledgeable about digital photography, so I'm not exactly sure I understand the benefits of being able to shoot in RAW with the SX50 (but I suspect it might be important enough to change my decision). If someone could dumb it down for me, I'd be grateful. :)

One more question: Do either of these models have any macro capabilities to speak of? I mean, can they take good-quality close-up macro shots of insects, flowers, lichens, rock textures, and the like? I don't think I've seen this addressed in any of the reviews or threads I've read so far.

I'm especially interested in hearing from people who are thrilled with their SX40s and don't feel any need to upgrade, and/or people who have had a chance to compare the two models side-by-side....But any and all responses are much appreciated!! :)

I've read that auto focus is faster. Is that noticeable?
IS is said to be better but it's needed for the extra zoom.
I am not sure where this thing about the IS came from as it is the same 4.5 stop IS system that is on the SX40 as far as I know.
I always felt that the AF system was the real downside (well that and the terrible viewfinder) on the SX40 so any improvement in that would be welcome but thus far I have only heard comments from people who have the SX50 but never had the SX40 so they cannot really compare. One of the big problems with the AF system is that the AF squares/areas seem very large so it is sometimes difficult to focus on what you want because the system will hone in on the nearest thing within a focusing point which often could be a stray branch or the likes. I also found that on occasions it was nigh on impossible to focus on some birds that did not have a lot of contrast even if the bird was in the open and fairly near.
Still at the end of the day these Cameras are relatively cheap compared to a DSLR set-up so cannot really complain.

I am also very interested in the responses to crazyfingers' post. I have a couple of slightly different but related questions.

The only digital camera I currently own is a sad little Nikon Coolpix L5 (ca. 2006)--definitely NOT adequate for bird photography! A decent DSLR with fast telephoto lens is WAAAYYY out of my reach for the forseeable future. My preliminary research suggests that the SX40 or SX50 are my best hope for getting some nice bird shots (without having to commit any felonies in pursuit of the goal!).

I'm pretty sure that in comparison to my current camera, I would be absolutely thrilled with either the SX40 OR the SX50. So my question is this: Given the similarity of the two models (and the sad state of my finances), is the SX50 really worth the extra $100-$200?

Also: is it true that the SX50 does not include a USB interface cable? Does this mean I'll need to buy a card reader? (Can anyone tell me the specific type of card reader needed, and its approximate cost?)

At this point, I'm leaning toward finding a really good deal on the SX40....but can anyone convince me that I should spring for the SX50?

I'm not super-knowledgeable about digital photography, so I'm not exactly sure I understand the benefits of being able to shoot in RAW with the SX50 (but I suspect it might be important enough to change my decision). If someone could dumb it down for me, I'd be grateful. :)

One more question: Do either of these models have any macro capabilities to speak of? I mean, can they take good-quality close-up macro shots of insects, flowers, lichens, rock textures, and the like? I don't think I've seen this addressed in any of the reviews or threads I've read so far.

I'm especially interested in hearing from people who are thrilled with their SX40s and don't feel any need to upgrade, and/or people who have had a chance to compare the two models side-by-side....But any and all responses are much appreciated!! :)

I have had the SX30 and now have the SX40. The SX40 is miles better than the 30, not so sure about the 50 being a awful lot better. Reading your post I would say the sx40 will be good for you. Plus you save yourself some money.

I'm enjoying having Raw with the SX50HS. All these images are from raw originals and imported from DPP into Photoshop.
Neil.
ps sorry, except the starling

Attachments

• tyhoon shelter CB sx50hs IMG_1373.jpg
    tyhoon shelter CB sx50hs IMG_1373.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 454
  • typhoon shelter CB sx50 DPP07DC0B17101A17.jpg
    typhoon shelter CB sx50 DPP07DC0B17101A17.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 451
  • little egret CB sx50hs DPP07DC0B17110734.jpg
    little egret CB sx50hs DPP07DC0B17110734.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 610
  • great egret CB sx50hs DPP07DC0B17110337.jpg
    great egret CB sx50hs DPP07DC0B17110337.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 630
  • bc starling sx50hs IMG_1360.jpg
    bc starling sx50hs IMG_1360.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 851
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back