• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (2 Viewers)

Yep, that's right. It has single point focus and you can make the point smaller but that is not spot focus. It has spot metering but that is an entirely different thing of course. I believe the 7D was the first Canon Camera ever to have spot focus although I could be wrong.
Spot focus even with a DSLR and phase AF can be a tricky thing to manage because the AF area is so small that sometimes there is not enough contrast to lock on - it is useful for,say, putting the focus point right on a birds eye or shooting through dense vegetation.
Is there an official definition of spot focus? It sounds like what the 7D has is the same, only much smaller (plus the advantage of phase AF). Perhaps it's more accurate to say that it does have spot focus, but not as small as that on a 7D. I.e. how small is small enough?
Often you see shots posted where the poster talks about the SX50's ability to focus on a subject that is behind branches ect. but that has more to do with the depth of field (DOF) rather than the AF system. All these small sensor cams have a much bigger DOF than a DSLR at comparable focal length so that means that you can obtain focus on a branch just in front of the bird but because of the large DOF the bird will also be in focus. That is the plus because you have a little bit of wriggle room with the focus.
The DOF definitely helps, but I don't think that's all there is to it. I know from experience that the DOF won't always save the picture. The SX50 should have an advantage over many other cameras because its longer focal length will enlarge the gaps between vegetation enough to fit the focus area into them in more cases than a shorter focal length would.

The SX50 should have an advantage over many other cameras because its longer focal length will enlarge the gaps between vegetation enough to fit the focus area into them in more cases than a shorter focal length would.

Here's a fun example of that.

In the center of this photo there is a small gap and a small tan horizontal streak
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc433/crazyfingers1/IMG_1327.jpg

This is that small tan horizontal streak
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc433/crazyfingers1/IMG_1325.jpg

Is there an official definition of spot focus? It sounds like what the 7D has is the same, only much smaller (plus the advantage of phase AF). Perhaps it's more accurate to say that it does have spot focus, but not as small as that on a 7D. I.e. how small is small enough?

The DOF definitely helps, but I don't think that's all there is to it. I know from experience that the DOF won't always save the picture. The SX50 should have an advantage over many other cameras because its longer focal length will enlarge the gaps between vegetation enough to fit the focus area into them in more cases than a shorter focal length would.
If you want to be silly about it then yes every AF camera has a spot or frame that it to uses for focussing - even if the entire frame was one huge frame/spot LOL :-O:-O:-O Perhaps you would have been happier the the poster that asked about having spot focus had asked if it had auto focus instead. I thought if you had a 7D you would understand what is meant by spot focus - obviously not ;).

As far as the longer focal length goes to enlarge any gaps, you will find the longest actual focal length is just 215mm !!!!! (the so called 35mm equivalent is got at by the crop factor because of the tiny sensor and is better described as equivalent field of view IMO).
Although you may think that the longer 'reach'!! could help with precision focussing then the size of the single focusing frame would more than cancels that out - being a SX50 owner (I assume) you must know it is enormous compared with a DSLR AF spot.
By your reasoning you are indicating that a Canon 1.6 crop camera must be better at precision focussing than any full frame model (or even the 1D3/4 1.3 croppers) e.g. the extra reach because of the crop factor will but bigger gaps in the vegetation LOL

Last edited:
The SX50 should have an advantage over many other cameras because its longer focal length will enlarge the gaps between vegetation enough to fit the focus area into them in more cases than a shorter focal length would.
Here's a fun example of that.

In the center of this photo there is a small gap and a small tan horizontal streak
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc433/crazyfingers1/IMG_1327.jpg

This is that small tan horizontal streak
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc433/crazyfingers1/IMG_1325.jpg
Thanks, that's what I meant, although I can't identify which part of the picture you've zoomed in on.

Do those tortoises (turtles?) really have red sides, or is that fringing? If it's fringing, I've seen a lot worse.

Thanks, that's what I meant, although I can't identify which part of the picture you've zoomed in on.

Do those tortoises (turtles?) really have red sides, or is that fringing? If it's fringing, I've seen a lot worse.

They are painted turtles and they do have a dark orange underside and orange segments on the side. Not sure if this link will work but if it doesn't google "Painted Turtle of North America"

https://www.google.com/search?q=pai...LPPXJ4AOuwYCYBQ&ved=0CDsQsAQ&biw=1120&bih=559

Last edited:
If you want to be silly about it then yes every AF camera has a spot or frame that it to uses for focussing - even if the entire frame was one huge frame/spot LOL :-O:-O:-O Perhaps you would have been happier the the poster that asked about having spot focus had asked if it had auto focus instead. I thought if you had a 7D you would understand what is meant by spot focus - obviously not ;).
No, I don't have a 7D, nor an SX50, but I've looked in the 7D manual and I do see they use the term "Spot AF", which isn't mentioned in the SX50 manual. By that definition, you're correct - the SX50 does not have what Canon call spot focusing.

But my ancient Panasonic FZ30 manual does, even though the "spot" isn't as small as the 7D's. I.e. it depends on your definition of "spot focus". The SX50 definitely has something that corresponds to what others have been calling "spot focus" for a long time. Are these suddenly now not spot focus now that the 7D has a spot focus that's superior?

As far as the longer focal length goes to enlarge any gaps, you will find the longest actual focal length is just 215mm !!!!! (the so called 35mm equivalent is got at by the crop factor because of the tiny sensor and is better described as equivalent field of view IMO).
Sloppy of me not to call it "equivalent focal length."
Although you may think that the longer 'reach'!! could help with precision focussing then the size of the single focusing frame would more than cancels that out - being a SX50 owner (I assume) you must know it is enormous compared with a DSLR AF spot.
I'm not talking about the precision of focusing, just the ability of the user to get the camera to attempt to focus on the desired object, although that does translate into very poor focusing if one can't get it to do it. It doesn't matter how one gets that focus area to fit between the branches, whether it's by having a sensor so small that the image is large in the viewfinder, or by having a longer lens, or by having a very small AF area, so long as it fits.

The SX50 does better in this regard than similar cameras with shorter focal lengths and similar size AF areas simply because the gaps are bigger in relation to the AF area. You could achieve a similar effect with digital zoom, but the contrast detection might not work so well.
By your reasoning you are indicating that a Canon 1.6 crop camera must be better at precision focussing than any full frame model (or even the 1D3/4 1.3 croppers) e.g. the extra reach because of the crop factor will but bigger gaps in the vegetation LOL
I've had to think hard about that. If you view the same scene from the same distance with the same true focal length lens, but cropped, you'd think you'd achieve nothing. But the viewfinder would be the same physical size, and the AF area would be the same size in relation to it, yet the cropped view still fills it. Therefore the scene must now be larger in relation to the AF area, so yes, it should fit between the gaps better.

(This might not hold true for optical viewfinders, so let's assume we're only talking about EVFs, which most of those types of cameras don't have, which makes the discussion theoretical only.)

But in reality, if you're swapping between cameras of those types, the AF areas are likely to differ anyway, so the comparison might fail.

What I'm really getting at is better illustrated with a different comparison - an interchangeable lens camera with a 600mm lens vs the same camera with a 1200mm lens. In the latter case the AF area will fit between more gaps. I found this to be very true when I fitted a 1.7x converter to my Canon S3 to take it from 430mm (equiv) to 720mm. It just worked better, and I suspect this is the effect SX50 owners are experiencing when they use full zoom.

Probably best not to compare 7D focusing ability to the SX50's. There may be other factors coming into play like software and camera intelligence.

I bought a SX50 a few days ago, have taken several shots and am pleased with the results. Looking forward to studying this thread and the manual to explore the full potential of this super camera.
I'm not very technical so I hope this isn't a stupid question. I purchased a Hahnel HL-10L battery as a spare. The specification on it says 860mAh 6.4Wh whereas the Canon battery is 920mAh 6.8wh. Will the Hahnel battery cause any problems?
Would appreciate your comments..

Hi im new to the forum i took these two images with the sx50 but are not to sure what type of british bird it is help??

Attachments

• unkown bird.jpg
    unkown bird.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 266
  • unkown bird 2.jpg
    unkown bird 2.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 183
Soft question this I know but as I don't have the answer I must ask as the way I always used to do the job is no longer open to me since our computer crashed. Is there anyway that I can re-size photos on the computer using the Canon soft ware or can it only be done on the camera?

Soft question this I know but as I don't have the answer I must ask as the way I always used to do the job is no longer open to me since our computer crashed. Is there anyway that I can re-size photos on the computer using the Canon soft ware or can it only be done on the camera?

I'm slightly confused by your question, since you say your computer has crashed.

However - you can resize on the camera - press the <MENU> button and select Resize.

You can also resize on the computer using the Canon software or any other image editing software.

Does this answer your question?

Mike

I bought a SX50 a few days ago, have taken several shots and am pleased with the results. Looking forward to studying this thread and the manual to explore the full potential of this super camera.
I'm not very technical so I hope this isn't a stupid question. I purchased a Hahnel HL-10L battery as a spare. The specification on it says 860mAh 6.4Wh whereas the Canon battery is 920mAh 6.8wh. Will the Hahnel battery cause any problems?
Would appreciate your comments..

The slight difference in capacity between the two batteries makes no real difference. Provided the voltages and the dimensions of the two are similar, you should be good to go. I've had good luck thus far with the lower cost batteries as a backup and have learned to always carry some as spares when out. Just make sure all are charged before you go out, they are maybe a bit less good than the Canon branded at charge retention.

Well I joined the SX50HS club yesterday and was wondering if there was a 'sticky' giving ballpark suggested settings for static birds, large birds in flight, macro etc. Unfortunately due to Canon only supplying a soft copy manual it's going to take me a bit longer to get to grips with this one. So. Has anyone made a list of post numbers in this thread that they feel were helpful and may be prepared to share?
I realise this is rather a spongeing thing to ask but as I am convalescing from a major op I sort of need to take the lazy man's route - that said I only have this camera as I felt I should cheer myself up ;-)) So far it's worked ;-)
Jamie

Use the cable supplied with your camera <lol>

I was pretty sure no USB cable came with the SX50 but when installing the Canon supplied software I'm sure it came up with 'connect the cable supplied with your camera'
No printed manual too seems a bit mean.

No doubt all this is rather late stuff as you have had yours some time

My 400mm Canon lens ran and hid as I opened the 3rd photo. Very impressive.

Sorry, but I couldn't stop laughing at this. :'D

I've been doing a lot of testing today from my kitchen window and have nearly got it sussed, with some fairly sharp pics, particularly in raw, however there are SO many variables to keep in mind I need to give my brain a rest.

Not to mention clean my windows.

One thing I can't understand is why the continuous autofocus is set at off in the camera but in BreezeBrowser where I check my photos, it says it's on. I switched it off as I felt my Canon battery didn't last very long (the OEMs however are going strong).

hi jamie
i have not got the camera myself yet but you could
look at page 16 post 389 and page 20 post 497
hope this helps
neil

Well it takes ages to upload a few seconds of shaky unedited video, hand held at high zoom.

I might as well post it though, as I took it more as a video test than anything else.

However it does show a pair of Canadas at Carew Mill Pond. It's a place I've known pretty well all my life, and I don't remember ever seeing Canadas there before, leave alone a pair, leave alone with seven pretty well developed goslings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_DwAxlHXK0

David

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back