• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (1 Viewer)

Sorry for the delayed response Andy, I`ve been off line for a couple of days.
Thanks for the compliment, the Terns were taken at the shorter end of the zoom as they were mobbing people & the Puffin was taken at full zoom as it approached me at an oblique angle. I find with the Sport mode that even if you get the tracking focus spot on the bird & hold the shutter down until you hit the buffer you`ll still get several shot that are out of focus, but usually one or two that are good enough to keep. Here`s a couple more.

Rob.

I'm liking the look of those additional results! Can I push you for confirmation that you are using Sport mode with Tracking focus. I don't appear to have the option of Tracking focus in Sport mode :C

AndyM

Hi Andy
Sorry if I raised your hopes, what I meant was continuous focus. ie with the shutter button half pressed & the bird within the blue square whilst tracking it (not easy).
Tried it on some Swifts today,in poor light & drizzle, always like a challenge me. Out of the dozens taken I ended up with one that I`m reasonably happy with given the conditions. See attached. Hardly an award winner I know but its the best Swift pic I`ve taken to date !

Attachments

• IMG_0059.JPG
    IMG_0059.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 263
My effort with a Spur winged plover,not easy!!!!!
Will try it in Sports mode tomorrow.

Attachments

• swp1.jpg
    swp1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 142
  • swp.jpg
    swp.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 165
Hi Andy
Sorry if I raised your hopes, what I meant was continuous focus. ie with the shutter button half pressed & the bird within the blue square whilst tracking it (not easy).
Tried it on some Swifts today,in poor light & drizzle, always like a challenge me. Out of the dozens taken I ended up with one that I`m reasonably happy with given the conditions. See attached. Hardly an award winner I know but its the best Swift pic I`ve taken to date !

Ya they are a challenge but they keep coming back and around so there is a chance to take 200 photos and have a few come out.

Same with Tree Swallows.

It's a bit easier then it's coming straight at you as in the first photo. And when there are dozens in the air at once a few will be in focus.

Attachments

• June 2013 06 22 09 05 58.jpg
    June 2013 06 22 09 05 58.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 169
  • June 2013 06 22 09 03 41.jpg
    June 2013 06 22 09 03 41.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 184
Hi Andy

Thanks Rob. Happy to have my hopes dashed as it goes. I remember many lost battles with tracking focus on the SX40 and wasn't really looking forward to struggling with it again

Considering the 'poor light & drizzle', the Swift shot is respectable.

AndyM

This is what this little camera is all about. RECORD shots while out birding.

A very rare bird for Warwickshire turned up at Ladywalk today so I shot down after work with my daughters SX50.

I have done a before and after shot. The red arrow is the tree the bird was sited in.

The after is the shot at full zoom x2 converter. Ok its a crapograph but for a record of a MEGA its great.

New tick for me so chuffed :t:

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 325
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 416
This is what this little camera is all about. RECORD shots while out birding.

A very rare bird for Warwickshire turned up at Ladywalk today so I shot down after work with my daughters SX50.

I have done a before and after shot. The red arrow is the tree the bird was sited in.

The after is the shot at full zoom x2 converter. Ok its a crapograph but for a record of a MEGA its great.

New tick for me so chuffed :t:
Spot on Paul, its never going to match a decent DSLR for quality but is absolutely ideal for the birder to take along for record shots, especially handy if you are carting around a big scope/tripod. For record shots it is even better than a DSLR set-up when you have 2400mm (full frame fov).

A few shots from over the weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0622.jpg
    IMG_0622.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0604.jpg
    IMG_0604.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0577.jpg
    IMG_0577.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0598_01.jpg
    IMG_0598_01.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 165
Osprey in flight this weekend. No Crop on either of these.

Attachments

• 2014 06 06 16 54 58.jpg
    2014 06 06 16 54 58.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 222
  • 2014 06 06 16 58 03.jpg
    2014 06 06 16 58 03.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 205
Flying birds

I dropped in and saw the flying bird posts, ran across this one from early last month and thought I would and it to the mix female Norther Harrier I often use the sports mode when attempting flying photos and have had mixed results.

Attachments

• IMG_8933.jpg
    IMG_8933.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 234
Full zoom

I thought you might like to see the detail in this shot of a pied wagtail, Motacilla alba yarrelli,taken at full zoom from about 10 feet.....Eddy

Attachments

• IMG_2765 (640x404).jpg
    IMG_2765 (640x404).jpg
    134 KB · Views: 270
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back