• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

caroline nz. (1 Viewer)

nzflutes

hello all..well have just found this site..so here we go !
have been excited about the godwits that have just started arriving here from Alaska..
this year the City Council rang the Cathedral bells when the first ones touched down in the estuary..
also spring well and truly started here..the blackbirds are nesting everywhere..have had the binoculars on them..
didn't realise they took such a humungus mouthful of worms back to the chicks!!
they must be ready to go..as this has been going on for a while now.. o:)
will just have to try and keep the cats well clear for a while..
\
well hope you are all fine..

caroline

Hi Caroline, what a wonderful response to your visitors!

Are your Blackbirds the European ones that were imported by 'homesick' settlers?

A big Welcome to you from all the Staff here at Birdforum!

Keep us all posted....

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi, Caroline! Another warm welcome to you from BirdForum!

I had to go Google your godwit migrants as I wasn't aware of this Alaska-NZ connection. I've never seen a "barwit," only marbled godwits.

When the barn swallows return every year to Mission San Juan Capistrano in southern California, they ring the bells there, too! I think it's a wonderful tradition.

Look forward to more of your posts. One of my favorite places in NZ is Christchurch Botanical Gardens. I could spend days there.

Andrew Rowlands said:
Hi Caroline, what a wonderful response to your visitors!

Are your Blackbirds the European ones that were imported by 'homesick' settlers?

A big Welcome to you from all the Staff here at Birdforum!

Keep us all posted....

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Andy..

Had to do a Google search as was not sure where Usk
valley was..see that it is Wales...sounds interesting.is there lots of bird life.
Well anyway..hope this is the way to reply..ty for your message..yes it was
very special welcoming the godwits this way...
with all that is going on that is bad in the world..it just touched me to think that regardless these amazing birds do this immense flight..losing 2/3 of body weight...and just fly relentessly on....wow..

well had better let you go as looks like this site is so special that thousands of people are using it so you MUST BE BUSY!!
I am not quite sure how to use it..I replied to a couple of people and it looked like I put their letters plus my reply back up on the board again?

All the best to you..

Caroline

Katy Penland said:
Hi, Caroline! Another warm welcome to you from BirdForum!

I had to go Google your godwit migrants as I wasn't aware of this Alaska-NZ connection. I've never seen a "barwit," only marbled godwits.

When the barn swallows return every year to Mission San Juan Capistrano in southern California, they ring the bells there, too! I think it's a wonderful tradition.

Look forward to more of your posts. One of my favorite places in NZ is Christchurch Botanical Gardens. I could spend days there.

Hey Katy...ty for your letter....I think I might have heard of the barn swallows having the bells rung for them...that is SO special..
I was very 'chuffed' about the bellringing here..and a little plane flew over saying .."godwits have arrived..spring is here"..I straight away hoofed it down to the estuary..

anyway..ty for the welcome..I am thrilled I found this site..XX

Caroline

dvc214 said:
Welcome Caroline,

Enjoy Birdforum,

Dave

thankyou...Dave...it looks like a very good site...what country are you in..I see S..on Avon..buuuuuuut the flag is NOT BRITISH!!!

Caroline

Karwin said:
Tervetuloa to Birdforum, Caroline. Good to have more southern exposure here.

TY Karwin....the bar tailed godwit is my thing at the moment..they fly here from away North..you might have some in Finland..

Caroline

The flag is the St. Georges flag, flag of England. The Union Flag is a merge of England, Wales and Scotland.

Dave

caroline ...NZ said:
TY Karwin....the bar tailed godwit is my thing at the moment..they fly here from away North..you might have some in Finland..

Caroline
Indeed their breeding range covers N of Fennoscandia (= Lapland), and I get to see them on coasts during migration (= May & August/September). If a tunnel was dug through Earth from Finland, the nearest country was NZ: interesting to hear some birds being common with other end of the world. -I heard kakapos had not-good year over there. Sad to hear that - I hope future's brighter.

Karwin said:
Indeed their breeding range covers N of Fennoscandia (= Lapland), and I get to see them on coasts during migration (= May & August/September). If a tunnel was dug through Earth from Finland, the nearest country was NZ: interesting to hear some birds being common with other end of the world. -I heard kakapos had not-good year over there. Sad to hear that - I hope future's brighter.

Hey Karwin..

Just got this letter..well that is so exciting to hear that you see the godwits..it is such an amazing connection...do you see them in large numbers..are they at river estauries or where do they hang out?

Yes it was bad news about the kakapo..they apparently had a virus which is gone now..I was right down in Invercargill a while ago and nearly went to Codfish Island to help feed them as volunteer but ran out of time..still may go down...my big dream is to go down to the Sub Antarctic islands..they do do the odd trip down there..very expensive and highly supervised of course..but what a dream that would be...
The problem with all the endangered species is that they start having so much contact with humans which must be always a worry about diseases i should think..
better go to bed!!it is 10.30pm...

so nice to hear from you and ty for your interesting news..

love from NZ and hope to be in touch soon

Caroline

caroline ...NZ said:
Just got this letter..well that is so exciting to hear that you see the godwits..it is such an amazing connection...do you see them in large numbers..are they at river estauries or where do they hang out?
Best places in Finland to study migrating waders are our few large sand beaches on west coast, Oulu, Kalajoki & Pori areas. My large Limosa numbers = some fifty headed flocks.

Hi! Caroline!
Where in NZ?
I have friends in Auckland.
A mutual friend was over in NZ at Easter and fell for the Tui Birds!
Have fun with this site. 12/11 hours ahead of us will be interesting to see when next you write!
Eagle :bounce:

Eagle said:
Hi! Caroline!
Where in NZ?
I have friends in Auckland.
A mutual friend was over in NZ at Easter and fell for the Tui Birds!
Have fun with this site. 12/11 hours ahead of us will be interesting to see when next you write!
Eagle :bounce:

Hello Eagle..

Nice to hear from you...I am in the South Island of NZ...in a city called Christchurch...
The tuis are a lovely bird..unfortunatley not too many around here..although there are heaps of kowhai trees that they usually love..
I hear there are a lot in Wellington..at the moment...
We have a few bellbirds here ..and they are lovely with beautiful song..
I believe the tui need a big range..so maybe not enough here..with not enough forest around the city..
We have just started getting the ,shining cuckoo..which is very lazy and lays its eggs in the poor grey warblers nests,,!!!
what a clever bird..probably then goes on holiday!!!

Caroline

Hi Caroline

well yet another welcome from England. You never did say if they are European Blackbirds! Or did I miss something?

The Godwits travels are amazing aren't they. One day they are up here then they fly all that way.

Hi again Caroline,

Well Googled! Some good birds locally if you get enough time to do them justice....

Yeah, it does get busy on here - currently lunchtime in Western Europe - so a good number of users online!

Pete - Just checked my NZ fieldguide - Blackbird is the same one - breeding July 'til December so likely to be second brood?

Cheers,

Andy.

Andrew Rowlands said:
Pete - Just checked my NZ fieldguide - Blackbird is the same one - breeding July 'til December so likely to be second brood?

thanks for that Andrew. I don't have an NZ field guide!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back