• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carrying the 300mm f2.8 (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
I am very interested in getting this lens but my only concern is the weight. My method of bird photography is to go for a walk and snatch a shot as the opportunity arises (I am not one for sitting around in a hide or in one spot waiting for the birds). Most times I walk for several hours/miles always with my 400mm f5.6 hanging from the neck strap – bearing in mind that the 300mm is double the weight of my ‘toy’ lens how do you carry this lens when walking and is it too heavy to lug around for hours on end. I know I could put it in a backpack but by the time you get it out the bird has long gone. Do you think this lens would be suited to my style? and if so how do you suggest I carry it.

I'll be getting that lens one day Roy, and I've just resigned myself to the fact that I'll have more weight around my neck - I take much the same approach as you do, and it's a price I'm prepared to pay (I wish I could say the same about the £3K the lens will cost!)

One thing I'm thinking about is attaching the camera neck strap to the D-rings on my rucksack straps.

You get used to it, Roy. I don't have a 300/2.8 but I do have a 500/4, which is around the same weight as a 300/2.8 and a 400/5.6 or 100-400. At first, it seems a terribly heavy thing to lug around, but after a few weeks you get quite used to it and no longer pay too much attention.

If I'm hand-holding, I just carry it by the handle/tripod foot. When that gets tiring, I sling it over my left shoulder. On a really long walk, I'll switch it to the right shoulder (but I have my other camera and assorted lenses on that shoulder already, so not for long). But mostly I just hold it in my left hand.

At first, you will say "Tannin is an idiot, or possibly a gorilla". After about three weeks, you will say "F*&%$#@# Tannin is a %#&# idiot, I will never get used to this". After another month or two, you will have almost forgotten about it. Honestly, you really do become accustomed to it eventually.

Thanks for the replies Keith and Tannin. I have been looking at the Kinesis web site and was wondering if anything there might help http://www.kgear.com/
In the mean time I might try and weigh something out and sling around my neck as a test |:D|.
Keith: I see Ian Kerr is doing the lens for £2650

You get used to it, Roy. I don't have a 300/2.8 but I do have a 500/4, which is around the same weight as a 300/2.8 and a 400/5.6 or 100-400. At first, it seems a terribly heavy thing to lug around, but after a few weeks you get quite used to it and no longer pay too much attention.

If I'm hand-holding, I just carry it by the handle/tripod foot. When that gets tiring, I sling it over my left shoulder. On a really long walk, I'll switch it to the right shoulder (but I have my other camera and assorted lenses on that shoulder already, so not for long). But mostly I just hold it in my left hand.

At first, you will say "Tannin is an idiot, or possibly a gorilla". After about three weeks, you will say "F*&%$#@# Tannin is a %#&# idiot, I will never get used to this". After another month or two, you will have almost forgotten about it. Honestly, you really do become accustomed to it eventually.
Hey Tannin - if I was carting around as much gear as you I think I would look to get a motorised golf buggy ;) ;) ;)

Hi Roy,

yeah, I've seen Kerso's price - I could probably save a few bob more by collecting it from him too - but it's still a pile of cash!

;)

I'm getting there though...

We had a gentleman in at our reserve a few weeks ago and he had the 500mm lens and he had it in an old golf bag and trolley. Ok if you're walking along paths i suppose.

We're all different in what we can handle comfortably whilst walking around, but I have absolutely no problems with a 300/2.8 + tc + pro body, just get a heavy duty optech strap attached to the lens and away you go. Have the strap on the short side if you have it dangling down your chest, as it can bash vital bits if you walk at pace ;) ...alternatively a bit longer for over the head & shoulder carrying.

For transporting it around ready set-up with hood on (although with 1.4x tc, not 2x) , I use the Nikon CL-L2 bag... you may get away with the 2x attached if you use a non-pro body. In general the bag stays in the boot of the car.

Cheers,
Andy

Thanks Andy and Nigel its looking like a goer - I was hoping to use a monopod as opposed to a tripod so I guess carrying over the shoulder as Nigel says could be the answer.

I used to have a problem with a Sigma 500 lens and 350d giving me neck ache,
I bought a harness and have had no problems since.

As a favour to you. While your only in Devon and I'm in Lancashire-you buy the lense and I'll look after it for you. You can nip up and use it as often as you like. No-don't thank me, Im just that sort of person.

If I'm hand-holding, I just carry it by the handle/tripod foot.

I've always carried my Sigma 500/4.5 that way and perhaps I've been spoiled by the wonderful tripod foot/hand grip on the Sigma 500. But despite being lighter than the 500, the 300/2.8IS has a much smaller tripod foot and carrying it that way isn't that comfortable. (This is the one thing that lets this otherwise superb lens down - I think Canon could really learn a lesson from Sigma here)

If I'm walking around a lot, I normally use a monopod. I generally have the lens strap around my neck with one hand holding the monopod and taking part of the weight off the strap.

I should stress that the weight really isn't a problem but I just find carrying the lens by hand a little awkward - and I do think that for a £3000 lens Canon could have spent a little more effort on the tripod foot. (Just one 1/4" thread for a lens that size? And not even a hole for an anti-rotation peg? Come on Canon - could do better!)

A good way to get used to the weight is to spend a few months carrying around a 600mm f4L IS and Gitzo 1548 tripod. The 300mm f2.8 seems like a featherweight after that.

I usually carry mine slung over my shoulder using the strap provided. I've never found it too heavy even after a full day, but I think I might find it uncomfortably heavy hanging around my neck.

It's a stunning lens BTW, possibly Canon's best. You'll love it!

A good way to get used to the weight is to spend a few months carrying around a 600mm f4L IS and Gitzo 1548 tripod. The 300mm f2.8 seems like a featherweight after that.

I usually carry mine slung over my shoulder using the strap provided. I've never found it too heavy even after a full day, but I think I might find it uncomfortably heavy hanging around my neck.

It's a stunning lens BTW, possibly Canon's best. You'll love it!

I doubt if I could even lift the 600mm f4 leave alone carrying it ;)
I find carrying a 30D with 400mm f5.6 slung around my neck for a couple of hours is enough for me which is why I asked the original question (bare in mind I am a medium built senior citizen - but not quite an OAP:t: )
As it happens I have a home made bean bag filled with rice which weighs 6.75 pounds so I am going to go on some route marches with this in my camera bag to test out the weight.

I purchased the lens from kerso some 3 months ago and carried the lens around my right shoulder using the standard canon shoulder / neck strap. A bit aukward at first, but I soon got used to it.

It was a bit on the heavy side when holding the camera / lens in shooting position for longer than a minute or two, which prompted me to look at tripods, monopods and beanbags.

I have just purchased a manfrotto 681b monopod, which definately looks the part (strong, sturdy and extends to the right height).

Can't wait until I get the lens back from repair, so I can try it out.

Repair, I hear you say?

After reading the many reviews and opinions, I was in no doubt that this lens would be the one for me. Although the lens did produce good images, I always thought that it just didn't meet all the high expectations I had and sent it away for repair nearly a month ago.

Autofocus was not as fast or accurate as expected. Sometimes I had re-focus several times before it hit home. The image stabilisation was also very noisy.

I thought I would let Kerso know, just in case there was a problem and I have yet to get a reply. I do not hold Kerso responsible for the lens, but my own experience as a customer has definitely made me believe that I will not be ordering from him again. I know many people have been satisfied with his service, but for the sake of a few quid I would rather buy from someone who is a bit more reputable / reliable.

On a brighter note, I will be getting my lens back tomorrow ready for our trip to the highlands. It should be like new and i am really looking forward to putting it (and the new monopod) to the test.

Can't wait |=)|

DaveB

Last edited:
I have just purchased a manfrotto 681b monopod, which definately looks the part (strong, sturdy and extends to the right height).

but my own experience as a customer has definitely made me believe I will be ordering from him again. I know many people have been satisfied with his service, but for the sake of a few quid I would rather buy from someone else.

DaveB
Hi Dave, Out of interest which head are you using on the Monopod?

Re the last para - I do not understand this |:S| |:S| |:S| You say you will be ordering from him again but would rather buy from someone else !!!!

P.S. On a side note does anyone know if the IS is of any use when using a monopod?

The IS works very well on a monopod (or tripod). The instruction book says turn it off if tripod mounted, but that is out of date and applies to the original IS version (I think they're up to version 3 now). The lens can detect if it's mounted, and adjust accordingly.

My personal experience is that the IS is actually good enough for hand-held shots down to about 1/100th second, though you may drink less coffee than me!

I find carrying a 30D with 400mm f5.6 slung around my neck for a couple of hours is enough for me

I tend to forget that I'm built like a brick out-house, and not everyone is happy to carry 40lbs of kit around all day. ;)

I think you'd be ok with the shoulder strap though, maybe with some padding for comfort; I sit the lens's strap on top of my rucksack's padded shoulder-strap. Or of course the monopod mounted technique.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back