• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carrying tripod around? (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

I was wondering (especially from those who use public transport to get around) how you like to carry your tripods? I got a small scope recently and I've only taken it out once because I don't have a bag big enough to hold the tripod and it's an awkward thing to carry about if I'm going on to the train or a bus or popping in to a shop or a cafe.

Do you have any tips for carrying these around and stopping them getting in the way when not in use? Would a monopod be much more useful and collapse down much smaller and fit in a bag? I realise the monopod wouldn't have the stability of a tripod, but if it's easier to carry round it might be worth the change.

If your scope is small, it may be worth getting a travel tripod. These will be fairly light in weight but tend to be more compact. They're designed to fold down small enough to easily pack into a small backpack.

Andrew's suggestion sound good. I don't know that I could travel on a bus/train with my tripod.

Andrew's suggestion sound good. I don't know that I could travel on a bus/train with my tripod.
Yes it's very awkward. First time I put it in my bag but I couldn't close the cover over and so it wasn't secured. I'll look into travel tripods now.

Travel ‘scope and light weight tripod.
Backpack big enough to hold the tripod (longest item).
Room for phone charger/power bank plus spare hat, gloves, etc.

I've got a bigger backpack and tried putting my current tripod into it yesterday but the bag doesn't have many different compartments (this was a deliberate choice when I got it as I wanted a bigger main chamber for going on holiday) and while it looked like I could close the lid over, it looked like the tripod would move around a lot and bash into the scope, so I was scared I'd get to my destination and find the scope damaged.

If I am just travelling for the day out I just carry my scope and tripod in its ready to go state. Scope, in its SOC, attached to the tripod carried with an old laptop strap over my shoulder. I have a piece of velcro strapping round the legs to stop them splaying out, but it is easily unfastened if you need to stand the tripod up. Or you can prop it up in the corner if needs be, that is the way it lives in my house, ready to go and propped up in corner by the coats.

Would you be going on a bus or a train with it though? I don't mind carrying it about with the scope ready when I'm out in the field, but it's not really feasible on public transport where you might have someone sitting next to you or across from you or space is at a premium.

you can buy tripod/monopod bags in a range of sizes with carry straps and handles. I normally carry a moderate manfrotto for my large scope/binoculars. For the smaller scope I can just squeeze it into the backpack).

Peter

I've got a bigger backpack and tried putting my current tripod into it yesterday but the bag doesn't have many different compartments (this was a deliberate choice when I got it as I wanted a bigger main chamber for going on holiday) and while it looked like I could close the lid over, it looked like the tripod would move around a lot and bash into the scope, so I was scared I'd get to my destination and find the scope damaged.

I put my scope in its stay on case and the bare tripod together in the main compartment of my hiking backpack. If you don't have either a stay on case for the scope or a bag for the tripod, maybe wrap the tripod and/or scope in a towel for protection.

My tripod came with its own bag, but the bag won't fit in my backpack so I only carry the bare tripod.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back