• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Regal Issues.... (1 Viewer)

Well, I went ahead and got a Celestron Regal 65, and overall I am very pleased. Optically, I was quite surprised that it is as sharp and had even more contrast than my AT66 refractor. There are a few issues, however, that perhaps Regal owners can chime in on and help me out.

I actually have two of them in hand at the moment. Optically, they are the same. One has a sticky coarse focuser, that seems to hit a hump, while the other is smooth. Both have a little bit of color when hitting the 40x mark when pointed at a distant telephone pole with the sun off behind it ( AT66 has nearly none). Did others find a little bit of color ( ie, chromatic abberration) normal?
And the other issue.... I notice that when I turn the coarse focuser on either sample of the scopes, the image shifts a wee bit- similar to the way it happens at times in my SCT ( Schmidt Cassegrain) scopes, where that is due to mirror shifting. Is that normal for these scopes, or should I be looking to get sample number three?:-O

I thank you in advance for your expertise and experience.

Tom

Well, I went ahead and got a Celestron Regal 65, and overall I am very pleased. Optically, I was quite surprised that it is as sharp and had even more contrast than my AT66 refractor. There are a few issues, however, that perhaps Regal owners can chime in on and help me out.

I actually have two of them in hand at the moment. Optically, they are the same. One has a sticky coarse focuser, that seems to hit a hump, while the other is smooth. Both have a little bit of color when hitting the 40x mark when pointed at a distant telephone pole with the sun off behind it ( AT66 has nearly none). Did others find a little bit of color ( ie, chromatic abberration) normal?
And the other issue.... I notice that when I turn the coarse focuser on either sample of the scopes, the image shifts a wee bit- similar to the way it happens at times in my SCT ( Schmidt Cassegrain) scopes, where that is due to mirror shifting. Is that normal for these scopes, or should I be looking to get sample number three?:-O

I thank you in advance for your expertise and experience.

Tom

Hi ... Tom I have owned three Regals, one 65mm & two 100mm & all three had the same problem with the stiff, bumpy focuser. I had no problem with the color at medium powers. I ended up selling all three,even after sending one back to Celestron to correct the problem but they just sent me another with the same issue. Optically I thought they were very good. I would keep the one that is smooth .... gwen

Thank you, Gwen. How about the image shift? Did you notice as you were focusing that the entire image shifted a bit- as if the whole image was going over a small hill and back again?:-O

Tom

Thanks again, Gwen. Well, I'm definitely seeing it in both of my samples. When I focus the whole image moves. It all ends up sharply focused, but it is a bit strange. I guess I can take this to be a defect in the design, especially since it was not noticeable in any of your 3 scopes.

Tom

My focus knob works fine... and is actually smooth.

What is a bit of an inconvenient in my sample is the collar that hold the eyepiece that is actually is a bit tight. I need to push and pull with a bit of strength the eyepiece in and out.

I also never felt any shift on the image at all.

Even at the edge of the images I can´t barely see any CA.

Yesterday I went to see Jupiter.., and it was all clear... very defined, the 4 moons point with not much CA, 2 cloud layers well defined...
For a 65 aperture, with prism inside, it did great.
(By the way if you want to see it is the shiniest thing at the sky at night)

Last edited:
Thanks, Ivan. I saw Jupiter as well last night. Stunning and sharp. Yes, A tiny bit of CA depending on where it's viewed thru the objective.
On the two samples I have, the collar is extremely tight on one ( the same that has a sticky focus knob), so much so that the suction creates a near vacuum and the EP is a real chore to pull out. The other one- that which I would like to keep- operates much more smoothly.

I am going to call Celestron today and find out why there is a mirror shift.

Tom

Thanks, Ivan. I saw Jupiter as well last night. Stunning and sharp. Yes, A tiny bit of CA depending on where it's viewed thru the objective.
On the two samples I have, the collar is extremely tight on one ( the same that has a sticky focus knob), so much so that the suction creates a near vacuum and the EP is a real chore to pull out. The other one- that which I would like to keep- operates much more smoothly.

I am going to call Celestron today and find out why there is a mirror shift.

Tom

Look if you really are experiencing shift in the image by just focusing. Be careful because if anything is going on with the mirror-prism that might reduce the life-span of your scope a lot. Even if the image is ok now.

If possible, I would definitely check this out before keeping it.

Thanks Ivan,

I did call Celestron's Tech Dept today and they did confirm that this was not supposed to be happening, So I'll be sending both back and taking it from there.

Tom

Well, I got a third one today. Same issue. The image moves a bit as I turn the coarse focus knob. Now Celestron says their sample does the same.:eek!:
Have no idea what to do at this point. I really like the scope, but I'm concerned about future problems.

This may be far out, but I think I recall that Henry Link mentioned that some scopes focus by moving the prism. (I think this was quite recently).
If the Regals do that, it might explain the moving image.

Yep, I haven't seen one, but it's very likely that this scope focuses by moving a prism. There's no mirror, but the prism movement and the optical axis must be perfectly parallel to avoid image shift. I would surprised if very many specimens manage perfect parallelism. Either the shaft the prism travels on will be a little off or the optical axis will be a little tilted or both. If the shift is small and no catching or scraping is noticed in the focuser movement I wouldn't worry too much about it. Keep the one that's optically the best of the three.

I haven't noticed any shifting in my 80mm Regal, but then I haven't really looked for it. Guess I will now, though.

The eyepiece suction is caused by an o-ring seal in the scope. In mine, the Celestron zoom slips in pretty easily, but a Baader Hyperion creates real suction. Try to pull it out and it'll get sucked back in! I gently rock it back and forth to break the seal and it comes out. I consider this a good sign--very good seal.

On mine, the coarse focus is a bit bumpy but I don't mind. For the price, the scope is a knockout.

And speaking of knockouts, Jupiter has indeed been putting on quite a show of late.

On a good night, the 80mm Regal actually does a respectable job on the rings of Saturn--I mean you can see them at least. Not bad for a little birding scope.

Mark

Well, thanks to all who have replied. I thought this was a dead thread. I wanted to add that today I went into a BassBro Shop ( Oh, how I love that store:t:) where they have several spotting scopes you can look thru out to their nature walk. EVERY SINGLE SCOPE I looked through- 5 maybe- had some image shift.

I will add that I made a second call to Celestron and spoke to another fellow who had actually taken one of the Regals apart. You are correct. It operates on a moving prism, and their sample did, upon inspection, have some image movement.

So, I am going to keep my Regal, because I am otherwise absolutely astounded at the quality of its optics. Very little color on Jupiter ( as well as making out 3 bands on a sharp disc with no problem), and the Moon was jaw dropping. Wonderful contrast. I do notice at a certain daylight angle a ghost image reflection, and if anyone would like to comment on that, it would be appreciated.

Tom

I do notice at a certain daylight angle a ghost image reflection, and if anyone would like to comment on that, it would be appreciated.

Tom

Mine too!

Depending on the angle it gives me a non-reversed image of somewhere.
I am trying to map exactly from where this image comes... if you unscrew the eyeguard it is easier to find the angle. But really that only happens if I deliberately look for it. Otherwise, the entire range of the view is perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back